Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Tag Lotteries

Old 09-18-2008, 10:54 AM

Default RE: Elk Tag Lotteries

Here, Kitty, Kitty .

So Wiggy, I see you're from Tennessee did you hire a guide/outfitter or do you know someone local? Just wondering how you came across your "spot" to hunt?
Old 09-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wiggy

Haven't heard anyone mention South Dakota yet, I'll share my experience with that area since that's where I've done all my elk hunting, in the Black Hills region.

You apply online just like Wyoming, you pay the price of the tag and check online to see if you got drawn. If you didn't, you get a refund in the mail.

I always hunted the experimental forest area, around HWY 385, kind of between Silver City and Rochford. There's a ton of elk in that area, just watch out for mountain lions.

You must have lived in SD in the past?? Because the elk population is minimal, the tags are for South Dakotaresidents only.

Check the 1st paragraph: http://www.sdgfp.info/Wildlife/hunting/BigGame/Elk.htm

Even if you are a resident, good luck getting drawn. I've got 10+ years of preference points and have never been drawn....

For minimal cost and such, you can't beat Colorado. Many of the other states offer some type of preference point option, but it can get expensive fast when you are having to purchase $100+ hunting licenses just to apply! I shot a decent 6x6 on public land last year in CO and have seen plenty of elk while out mule deer hunting too... Many of the units are notgoing to be considered 'trophy' units, but they stillhold somerespectable elk.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigwilly11189

Wow. Thanks everyone for all your input and advice. I wouldnt be going any tiem soon as I'm stuck on the East Coast and would have to probably go with an Outfitter, so I guess if I went that route I most likely woulnd't have to worry about the drawings huh? You guys are great and so knowledgable!
Bigwilly, you still have to worry about the drawings in some states. An outfitter will make it easier but not guaranteed. In Wyoming for example you still need a bonus point first. Most outfitters will advise you to get a bonus point, then the next season you will submitt your money for the draw using the outfitter #, this works most of the time if you have a bonus point but not always, there are some cases every year where people still dont get drawn. It depends on the area you hunt. The big thing is to know where and when you want to hunt. Then pick an outfitter, the outfitter will tell you what you need to do exactly for the area he hunts. But if you have never elk hunted before i do advise you to use an outfitter the first time, you dont have too, but its a good idea.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:38 PM

Yeah I would definitely use an Outfitter as I have never hunted Elk before, I think it would be a fun time for my father, brother and I. Expensive, but a good time. I'll have to start an Elk Hunt fund if the wife allows it
Old 09-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SouthDakotaHunter

You must have lived in SD in the past?? Because the elk population is minimal, the tags are for South Dakotaresidents only.

Check the 1st paragraph: http://www.sdgfp.info/Wildlife/hunting/BigGame/Elk.htm

Even if you are a resident, good luck getting drawn. I've got 10+ years of preference points and have never been drawn....
I used to live in Box Elder (please don't hold that against me) when I was stationed at Ellsworth years ago. I always saw a lot of elk, not so much around Silver City (although I did see a few in Jenny Gulch), but off of Experimental Forest Rd, all the way through into Rochford. Last time I hunted there I had a cow tag, and saw half a dozen bulls and probably that many cows in one morning. Me and my buddy both tagged out within a day of each other. I didn't know it was "resident only" though. When I hunted up there, I was a resident...It's a shame, it would be a good spot for a DIY hunt. If nothing else, the whitetail hunting is the best I've ever seen there, although I know of an even better honey hole for whitetails not too far from there too.

BigWilly,
It's public land up there, I don't even know if there are any outfitters in that area. It's a fairly easy area to navigate too. The public land is usually clearly marked. And if one were to get turned around, there are many, many game wardens around to keep everything in check.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

You might as well apply etc...

If you wait until you're ready to go ona guided hunt, you may never go...

Last year my dad and I weren't planning on going elk hunting, but we drew great tags our frist year applying and went, and it was awesome.

This year, he drew a once in a lifetime buffalo tag, again, wasn't planning that hunt, did plan to be antelope hunting, but didn't draw a tag we thought we were assured to draw, but ended up with a surprise.

So apply, won't hurt you to build points, and when you draw a tag, you'll end up forcing yourself to go, that or eating a Non-res elk tag, which not sure many of us would want to do.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Fork Horn

You can buy a tag OTC here in Idaho. Do your research, pick a unit and put down the cash!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:55 AM
Spike

Hey Big Willy.

I just found this on on the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation web site. Its brief but has good info for a lot of places

http://www.rmef.org/Hunting/Features/Articles/Forecast.htm
Old 09-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

The info Windog put up is really useful. Take your pick. FYI i have lived in California most of my life on and off, and i can tell you that you dont have a pray getting a tag there. Im still waiting for mine. Biggest bulls you'll ever see up in northern cali, impossiable to get a tag. But all the other states listed give you an idea, and then just visit the states website and look for a reputable outfitter.