Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Recoil Management Training.. >

Recoil Management Training..

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Recoil Management Training..

Old 09-16-2008, 10:13 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Recoil Management Training..

Okay, I just thought of one more tip. Use ear protection!
Correct, though I would recommend hearing protection with a 22LR.

Especially if you are sighting in off ofa bench rest, I'd recommend plugsAND muffs. Not only does it do a superb job of reducing muzzle blast, it also blocks just about everything else going on around you (sound wise). Since you are in your own little world, this lets you settle into better managing the all important"battle within." It also lets you realize at a basic level that recoil is the thump on your shoulder not the bang in your ears.

That said, once your "frisky cartridge" rifle is sighted in you should not be shooting off of the bench at all.... field positions are what counts.... not many bench rests in the elk woods, though a side bracingoff ofan aspen is a close second.

** Informed, hands on, thirdparty guidance,
** Physiology,
** Mechanics and Physics,
** Psychology,
** Execution
Old 09-17-2008, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

The biggest problem I see with "recoil management" is that "new" shooters get a .22, slap a scope on it and shoot decent groups at 50 yards. They graduate to something larger, perhaps a 270, shoot decent groups (usually by accident) and deem their "skills" sufficient to shoot a real gun. When shooting a larger caliber, the results are predictable and usually painful. If lucky, scope bite, etc, if not, separated shoulders, detached retina etc. I don't see alot of people shooting a 22 that fits them, much less a larger caliber. The most important part of recoil management is GUN FIT, and the second is training by a qualified individual. Shooting the big boys is ENTIRELY different than shooting a .30-06. Over on AR, there are dozens of guys shooting the 600OK, which generates 250 ft/lbs of recoil!!! That is a bit more than the 18 ft/lbs from the '06. You can't learn the techniques on your own, or from the internet. Make sure your firearm is set up for YOUR body and get instruction from a professional.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.a...y=����
Old 09-17-2008, 11:20 AM

agree with what has been said to this point, would add one thing:

Suck it up and shoot it. I know that sounds condesending, but I don't mean it to be. Let me draw an analogy.

I coach Mighty Mite football. I have a kid on my team that is head and shoulders bigger than the rest of the team. He hits hard and likes it. The rest of the team was scared to death of him. I heard them all talking about how they didn't want to be hit by him. I nipped it right then. I lined them all up and one at a time they tried to run the ball past him. They all got a taste of being hit. When it was all done, I said: "Amazing, none of you died!"... " the way you all talked I was sure he'd kill one of you" one kid (smallest on the team) said: "it wasn't even that bad."

My point is our minds can make the task seem a lot harder than it really is. I've had a few people shoot my 338 and afterward say "heck that doesn't kick as bad as I imagined". EXACTLY!! Some recoil is real, and even more is imagined. Just food for thought.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:09 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

"....Suck it up and shoot it...."
I appreciate a "go get'um" attitude, it goes a long ways towards accomplishing a lot of things. Sounds like a seasoned elk hunter.
That said, as one starts moving up into the "thumpers," IMO the ole "just give it a go" without picking up the fundamentals of recoil managementis an invitation to get started off on the wrong foot and end up where you don't want to be.

Once you're familiar with a new thumper and have plateaued, then get casual.
Conversely, if you are expanding your envelope, I'd recommend you do so with the odds in your favor.
That is, if you don't want to just leave it to chance.