Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Any trees fall on anybody, yet? >

Any trees fall on anybody, yet?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Any trees fall on anybody, yet?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any trees fall on anybody, yet?

I had one a few years ago that came apart at the bottom of the trunk when a good gust of wind hit it.Heard a a loud POP!! and dust flew out of the holes in the trunk and we started running.It's amazing how fats you can run up hill with some motivation.

When I was a kid we had a big thunder boomer roll through and we had our cows on a big cotton wood river bottom.The next morrning my sister went looking for her 4-h steer,she found him he had about a 10 ft around cotton wood laying accross his head.Pretty devestating force with out going into detail.

BBJ
Old 09-19-2008, 01:47 AM
Spike

Yes. Two weeks ago on Basalt Mountain east of Carbondale, CO. My buddy and I decided to stop and sit on an aspen log, only to have another aspen crash down on us. It was pretty friggin windy that day. Luckily we weren't hurt. I took it in the head, but my buddy's pack deflected it a little first. The craziest part was, and I swear on everything holy to the truth of it, another one fell right next to us as we were collecting ourselves.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

They won't let the forest service and timber companies combat the problem through logging or controlled burns, so what they get are out of control beetle problems and horrible wildfires when the dead timber burns at the wrong time. Actual common sense management went out the window long ago with the forest service and was replaced by enviro-minded employees pumped out from the liberal college system in this country. Instead of letting science and common sense prevail, passion and beliefs are followed, and those who don't agree are pushed aside or silenced. The forest service still has some great people in its ranks, but the people who can physically manage the forest with their hands and an ax, have been outnumbered by bean counters and people who do nothing but study everything, but do nothing. The forest Service used to make a profit for our government through timber management, but now run in the red fighting fires as our resources burn instead of being harvested. Anyone who thinks we lack timber has not stood on a high point in Idaho, trees in no shape or form are endangered.

Sorry to wander off topic, as for falling trees, we had several branches and tops come out while elk hunting last week. I suggest making sure if you stop for a break, don't do it under a dead snag, especially if there is any wind. The squirrels were in full pine cone harvest also, and I swear they were trying to drop them on us, so watch for that also, a 1/2 pound green cone from 100 ft will rock your world.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Speakin' of those pesky little squirrels, isn't frustrating to be still hunting, or just sitting in the forest, looking for elk or deer, and you keep hearing "something" that has you on high alert, only to figure out eventually that some squirrel has been dropping pine cones makin' all the noise!! Drives me nuts some times![:@]
Old 09-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are not eating the pine cones on the ground are they? i am assuming they are not if. all it will take is a nice big wildfire to clear out the dead trees and scare the pine cones so they will sprout. it is all a cycle just like "global warming".
Old 09-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Howler

Speakin' of those pesky little squirrels, isn't frustrating to be still hunting, or just sitting in the forest, looking for elk or deer, and you keep hearing "something" that has you on high alert, only to figure out eventually that some squirrel has been dropping pine cones makin' all the noise!! Drives me nuts some times![:@]
That's so funny. I sometimes feel like the little fuggers are telling on me when they start chattering. I wanted to put an arrow in one last year when I had some deer moving in and he wouldn't shut up.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

They won't let the forest service and timber companies combat the problem through logging or controlled burns, so what they get are out of control beetle problems and horrible wildfires when the dead timber burns at the wrong time. Actual common sense management went out the window long ago with the forest service and was replaced by enviro-minded employees pumped out from the liberal college system in this country. Instead of letting science and common sense prevail, passion and beliefs are followed, and those who don't agree are pushed aside or silenced. The forest service still has some great people in its ranks, but the people who can physically manage the forest with their hands and an ax, have been outnumbered by bean counters and people who do nothing but study everything, but do nothing. The forest Service used to make a profit for our government through timber management, but now run in the red fighting fires as our resources burn instead of being harvested. Anyone who thinks we lack timber has not stood on a high point in Idaho, trees in no shape or form are endangered.
Why of course not a dead tree is still a tree in the eyes of the envirowacko. BIL is an ex forest service employee who lives in Oregon and the first time I visited him we were laughing about the infamous spotted owl scare.. Trees are not endangered in most Western habitat but it is a waste not to remove some healthy trees that are in overgrown forests as well as the damaged trees from the landscape. We are supposed to be good stewards of our Earth that seems to have escaped some people.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

Global Warming at work.