Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 What's in your daypack?  What's back at camp? >

What's in your daypack? What's back at camp?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

What's in your daypack? What's back at camp?

Old 09-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's in your daypack? What's back at camp?

oh one more thing WOOL I can never stress to much about wool.Keeps ya warm wet or dry.
BBJ
Old 09-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

My pants are my weak point of my gear. I just can never bring myself to spend $$$ on pants that I will only wear a few times a year. The only reason I have some decent camo rain gear is because it was given to me as a gift, I would have had a really hard time justifying the $$$ for it. For me it isn't whether I can afford it or not, it is whether I can justify it or not.

Ihave one pair of cotton camo pants and my camo rain pants and jeans. I've always just worn jeans when out hunting comerain, snow or shine. Do I really need to buy some other pants?

So other new items to add to the list are iodine pills, space blanket, and maybe a dual purpose saw.

What about the backup pair of boots? Am I putting my hunt in jeapordy if I end up in a creek on accident and don't have backups?
Old 09-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as layering, depending on the weather my base layer is either a long sleeve under armor type shirt, then a T-shirt, then a pull over long sleeve sweatshirt, then aa thick button up shirt and if it isreallywinter out acoat over all that. With the new camo rain jacket I will probably use that instead of theextra button up shirtif it looks rainy, but I can't see wearing itfor 7 days in a row. If it isn't very cold I will probably just do the T-shirt underneath and then a sweatshirt over that for the mornings.

I'm also one that never wears long johns. Even when I'm snow skiing I get too hot in them. I did grow up in one of the colder spots of Montana and have just always been pretty hot natured especially if I'm active at all. I'll have some long johns at camp but I doubt I'll wear them unless morning temps are below zero which I seriously doubt in September.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

i wouldnt worry too much about the pants. ive hunted in jeans my entire life and i have never had any problems. and i feel the same way, its hard to justify spending the cash on expensive clothing when i already have what i need.

as far as back up boots i would take them but you can always go back to camp and get a fire going and dry them out or put them next to the heater in the trailer. but if you have back ups you can change boots and be back up on the hill and not waste nearly as much time.

and as far as the weather is concerned you probably wont need your long johns but dont be shocked if you do. never underestimate the weather or how fast it will change. in my october hunts and later i always wear long johns but in september i carry an extra long sleeved shirt and sweatshirt. i will also carry sweat pants. it might sound stupid but if its cold and your on the hill you can put them on under your regular pants or if it rains you can put them on over your pants and then the sweat pants absorb most of the water and then when they get soaked just take them off.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Being from Wyoming i would have to back up the suggestion for a saw (NOT GERBER) and at least pack your rain jacket. I refuse after a bad experience with gerber. Look up Wyoming Saw II. Here is a Cabelas link http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0006390514310a&type=product&cm Cat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&%2Fcabelas%2Fcommerce%2FCabelasCa talogNumberFinder.giftCertificateURL=%2Fcabelas%2F en%2Ftemplates%2Fgiftcertificate%2Fgiftcertificate .jsp%3Fid%3D0005586990011a%26podId%3D0005586%26cat alogCode%3DIB%26navAction%3Djump%26indexId%3D& Ntk=Products&QueryText=Wyoming+Saw&sort=al l&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3A%2Fcabelas%2Fc ommerce%2FCabelasCatalogNumberFinder.giftCertifica teURL=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcab elas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1They came out a few years with a new style and it is very small and packable and cuts great. It fits in the bottom of my pack laying down. All metal construction.

This may sound mean but I do not mean it that way. If you get a big bull down please start a stop watch when you start to butcher it without a saw. Just curious how good you think you really are. Have you ever shot an elk. Trust me and everyone above. YOU NEED SOME SORT OF SAW!

Also YES you would be jeopordizing your hunt without an extra pair of boots. You don't need to carry them but do leave them in your vehicle.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot an elk, but not a bull. They are big animals but I still don't understand why that means I need a saw. In my experience with deer and pigs it is MUCH quicker to not use a saw but to cut the meat and tendons to get to the joints and cut there. I've skinned and quartered 15 animals in the last year.

The time I shot an elk we didn't have a saw but I didn't have the experience that I have now in quartering other animals and it was a mess. We got the job done but it was a struggle. We didn't have a sharpener either and the knife was dull to begin with. Hence this thread double checking what I plan on bringing. But I still don't think I need a saw to quarter an elk.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

"Cotton Kills!" It will suck the life out of you if you get wet and it starts snowing or the temp drops. Synthetics or better yet silk and wool like already said.

I carry a folding camp saw.

There is the potential of CWD in NW Wyoming now. I would leave the spine and brain where it lays. Whatever it takes to get the ribs,shoulders,etc.. off is what I will carry now. I am taking the same precautions here eastern Idaho.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

I may have missed it...........but your going to pack an emergency room. And I didn't see anything for navigation. The value of a map in wilderness cannot be underestimated. as well as a compass.

Good luck
Old 09-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Schwald,
Thats the same saw I have but it has the red handle and it's shorter,my hatchet is a gerber.

Nathan,
You don't have to spend BIG bucks on a pair of wool pants,I buy military surplus and Codet.The heavy militay pants run about 20-25 bucks(and cheaper on fleabay)and the Codet wool you can get for 30.I have 3 pair now and 2 on the way.
This is a rifle hunt right?so you won't need camo and jeans do work,I wear them also when the weather permits.What you have to consider(you being from/in Montana)the weather can change on a dime.Just think 4-6 miles on a hunt and the temps go from 60 to 30 wind picks up snow/rain/sleet starts falling,walking through all the trees the jeans get soaked and pretty quick your cold.I know I've done it myself,and at this point jeans SUCK!!!
But hey ya gotta do what ya gotta do,I undrstand the finacial part.
Back up boots if ya got them take them,if not it's probly to late to go get a new pair and break them in.If you need a quick pair and not alot of dough and can just take and use.Check out the Hi-Tec II Hiker(all-leather)I'm on my 3rd pair and I have wore these boots early Sept to Mid-October bow hunting and antelope.They are waterproof(for abit),dry fast,easy to walk 10-15 miles a day.They have been through creeks,snow,rain and sun.They run about 60 bucks.
Good Luck
BBJ
Old 09-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, this is an early rifle hunt in a wilderness area.

I just got a new monkey wrench thrown into my plans, my friends son is coming and more than likely bringing horses. [8D]

His son is a professional horse wrangler and has dabbled in outfitting a bit and these are his personal horses, but I'm still not too excited about this. The area we are planning on hunting first is pretty small and really doesn't require horses. I guess this could give us a better option if the area we are planning on hunting turns out empty, but I've never really been a big fan of horses on a hunt unless you are going WAY back in the boonies and even then they seem more trouble than they are worth especially if you don't shot anything!

Quick Reply: What's in your daypack? What's back at camp?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.