HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   To ATV or not to ATV, that is the question. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/262033-atv-not-atv-question.html)

bugs11 09-08-2008 09:14 AM

To ATV or not to ATV, that is the question.

Debating whether or not to take an ATV to CO for the first rifle. Having an ATV would save my legs a fair amount of walking and possibly packing, if I am so fortunate to connect. I would only use the ATV to get from camp to the edge of the hunting area, then park the ATV and hike 2-3 miles back in, away from the road.

Is it safe to leave an ATV un-attended all day? Has anyone had any problems with someone messing with their ATV while they were hunting?

Bugs.

millagerobert 09-08-2008 10:29 AM

RE: To ATV or not to ATV, that is the question.

If its legal and it helps use it. An atv is a tool just like a gun or a chainsaw, it can be used properly or misused depending on the person in control. People like to bash atv's just like guns, but just like when a criminal uses a gun in a crime, it is not the fault of the gun, as when someone goes out of bounds with an atv it is not the atv's fault. It's all about responsibility, and to lump all atv users into one group is like throwing all legal gun owners in with the criminal element.
Depending on the area you may want to stash your atv out of sight, some anti atv'ers have been known to slash tires (which is a dumb thing to do in the woods where everyone has a gun). Get you a camo or earth toned atv cover or tarp(help protect it from the elements also), or set up a dome tent you can park it inside of to keep out of sight and limit a thief's temptations.

Good luck, have fun hunting, don't sweat the small stuff.

bigbulls 09-08-2008 12:12 PM

If you are going to be hunting on private land that is obviously up to the land owner.

If you are going to be hunting in national forest or BLM land they are legal only on marked trails.

If you are going to be hunting in wilderness areas they are illegal.

Champlain Islander 09-08-2008 04:59 PM

I guess it all depends on how far you are away from the hunting. In my case we are 2300 miles from south central Co where we are headed again this year. Dragging a trailer with an ATV all that distance doesn't make much sense. The past 2 years the 3 of us have shot 5 elk and had to bring them all out by packframe. Having an ATV would make it a bit easier since we have been hunting DIY on some private land where we could use one. IMO I don't mind quartering and packing them out. Usingan ATVto access hunting land would be the last thing I would do. We drive a truck as far as we can get and then pull out our 4X4 hiking boots. If it takes the 3 of us all day or longer to get an elk out...that is part of the fun.

EKM 09-08-2008 07:28 PM

If they are legal in your selected area and you can study and follow the rules, then it is 100% your call. Remember your "trip to the edge of the hunting area" may be right thru someone else's hunting area.

I consider myself blessed that in my area, ATV's are confined to the same roads a pickup is allowed to take, the Forest Serviceshuts down all the ATV trails in the areastartingOctober 1st.

Peace and quiet, except for gun shots.

RedRiverHntr 09-09-2008 04:58 PM

As you describe, it sounds like the area we hunt in. We use ATV's to get to the trailheads. Only areas we pass on them is other camps. They are usually dark as we pass by and I can't help but think they should thank us for letting them know it's time to get up.
Like most things...just follow the rules and there is no problem. The mostly two track roads we take ours on is also used by pickups etc, especially the local folk that tend to be in the back of the pickups with guns in hand.

And if you see or encounter someone on one in a prohibited area...let the authorities know. We do. Ruins it for all. Never had a problem with anyone messing with an atv while elk hunting. The vast majority of men that go to the time and expense of such an endeavor are of sound moral fiber. But you can be sure there are always bad apples. As someone mentioned earlier, sure would be risky to be messing with someone's atv, not knowing if he is sitting up on a hillside watching you through his scope?

Bocajnala 09-09-2008 11:22 PM

use it! learn proper regulations and such, and if your worried about leaving get a heavy chain and lock and tie it up somehow.

npaden 09-10-2008 02:26 PM

I'm trying to decide this as well. We are going to be staying in a travel trailer about 2 miles from the regular trail head we will be using. We will have a diesel pickup to use to drive back and forth to the trail head, but I think diesels are too loud. You can hear them from a couple miles away easy. We will probably end up 3 or 4 miles off the trail head on a normal day though so I may be worried about nothing. My friend with the diesel truck has been hunting that spot for 5 years and has shot 4 elk in that time so I don't think I will be hauling an ATV up from Texas to Wyoming just to drive 2 miles from camp to the trail head.

121553 09-10-2008 09:29 PM

An atv does make a hunt easier especially when bringing game out but you have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages too. Here in mt. your required to have a forest permit to operate it here and then you can't take it anywhere that your pick up truck can't go. Cheque your regs out ahead of tyme.

Bobby

CAelknuts 09-14-2008 07:09 PM

If used ehtically and within regulations, I think they're ok. The problem is, too many people, way too many, tend to just ride around on them instead of park and actually hunt. Don't ever mistake that riding around on an ATV carrying a bow or gun is actually hunting. I just returned from twelve days of bowhunting for elk on the Monroe limited entry unit, and we saw well over 100 ATV users in that time, it was ridiculous. I and my hunting partner only met one other hunter who didn't have an ATV with him. One day, we were way up in a high basin before daylight, and watched a nice 340 class bull and his cows feed along a high ridge. Shortly after, we could hear two ATVs coming our way. Sure enough, they drove within 300 yards of the elk, but never had any idea they were around. We ran into those guys about an hour later, already headed back down the mountain, when one of them stopped to talk. My first questions was "Do you guys ever actually hunt? Or, do you just ride around on those quads all day?" He chuckled a bit at the point I was trying to make, then I told him about the bull they'd driven right past only an hour earlier.

If you're serious about hunting, you do it on your feet, not riding on your butt for anything other than to get to your area. In my case, I have a pickup for that.