Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 What is your favorite "populist" elk cartridge? >

What is your favorite "populist" elk cartridge?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

What is your favorite "populist" elk cartridge?

Old 09-06-2008, 01:28 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default What is your favorite "populist" elk cartridge?

Just got back from an elk scouting trip up past Steamboat Springs. Looks we need a more "fair"thread so everyone can participate, so here you go.

No wrong answers here, anything and everything qualifies and everyone gets a gold medal, a passing grade and a participation certificate.No need to have actually taken an elk or even ownthe rifle. No pesky criteria in this thread.
================================================== =

So what is your favorite "populist" elk rifle cartridge?

My vote: 30-06
Old 09-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is your favorite "populist" elk cartridge?

Me to 30-06 sprng 180 gr Noslers Parttions
BBJ
Old 09-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

Populist? How terribly liberal sounding. Does that mean Weatherby owners are elitists? I thought we was here to talk h.u.n.t.i.n.g., even tho I've long suspected that most of the zillion members here have never actually hunted or gotten off their pc. Or are we become just a site of endless meaningless repetitious 'who here hunts turkeys?' and 'is my 458 Win big enough to shoot grey squirrels?' surveys?
Old 09-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't really care if someone shoots elk, or any other game, with a.243 or 416 Rigby so long as they are able to do what it takes to cleanly take that animal.

However, a little constructive cirticisim if I may. When you start these threads you come across as being very "I am better than you are" and "If you don't shoot such a gun you are not welcome in my thread or camp".

If you didn't come across in these threads likeyouarebetter than every one that doesn't shoot a 338 Win or bigger then your threads like this would probably get a much better reception.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:25 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

2 - 30-06
---
Old 09-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

Hey there BigBulls. In the golden days of this forum we had folks like BeaverJack etc and I think you lived in NorthG at the time. There was a great deal of spirited debate about "hunters" using stocks and clothes manufactured from leftover "panties" etc. I think what EKM is looking for is a list of cartridges people have actually killed an elk with rather than having "hunters" regurgitate what they have read in back issues of field & stream. If I remember correctly, you were contemplating participating in the big bore shoot at Cherry Creek a few years ago but didn't attend. If you had, you would know Don is not a "I'm better than you guy". In any event, alot of friction could be avoided in the forums if members would speak from experience rather than make **** up.

Good luck to everyone hunting this year.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have been here for about 8 or 9 years now and have been debating back and forth with him and a bunch of guys here and I know he isn't a " I'm better than you" kind of person. That's not what I am saying. I hope he knows then when I post something like "bullets bouncing off the elk" it's just sarchasim and said tongue in cheek. I'm just messing with him a little.

There areprobably thousands of new members here and......... if you read the threads like a "new guy" itsounds very "I am better than you". Of course I forget this also and the tongue in cheek "bouncing bullets" stuff is probably taken far more literal by a bunch of peoplethan I mean for it to be.

Like I said, just constructive criticisim.

I do wish I was able to attend the big bore shoot at Cherry Creek. I don't remember what came up but it was last minute and wasn't able to get there.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

7mm Rem Mag. I have killed elk & moose with the 7mm rem mag (as well as other cartridges, ML and archery)

Though I have built enough confidence and accuracy to consider my 338wmthe elk/moose gun at present. It will have to wait a year on elk as I filled my tag on nice dry cow via the bow last weekend. However the 338wm will be called into duty next month forDraw Moose, hoping Iwill report back to it's performance.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Lessee, over 50+ years of hunting, guess I've owned darn near all of em.....I still go back to the 06 with a 270 backup.
Dan

Old 09-07-2008, 07:51 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

3 - 30-06
1 - 7mmRemMag
---

Quick Reply: What is your favorite "populist" elk cartridge?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.