Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado Archery season!

Old 09-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Colorado Archery season!

Well I haven't seen a single post yet on how the seasons going so far in Colorado. I know it only started 8/30. But I'm real curious. I head out 9/9.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Colorado Archery season!

I am not in Colorado but am damn close. If it is anything like southern Wyoming it has started slow. Rut has not started as of Wednesday but the bugles are slowly starting to be heard. It has been hot which has a lot to do with it but the end of this week has been rather cool. I can't wait until morning. Try number two and three for me this weekend. Got to get to bed. 3am will come rather fast.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in Colorado 19th september and my fella on the ground has heard bugling in our area
Old 09-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was out hunting from last Wed. through Sun. morning, and heard good bugling Wed. and Thur. and then it died off on Friday - Sunday. I saw bulls with cows, but no chasing going on. Need a little more cool weather , and a little more time.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

Haven't heard much other than the fact the evenings has been getting cooler. Should hopefully be good when I get there on Sept 20th

Not far away at this point !!

Old 09-09-2008, 07:56 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

A late rut, Mmmmmm.... lets hope they keep "dragging it out."
Hopefully they will still be in the tail of the rut on October 11th,
The Colorado opener forfirst season-rifle only-elk only.

Always nice to hear the bugling while waiting in spike camp, waiting on stand in the darkness an hour before sunrisefor the opening day.... music to my ears, and then.... all hell breaks loose.

I always figure the guys that come in the next week for the mixed elk and deer season must have a hard, hard time finding the elk, as the elkalready know it is "that time of year" again.... they sure can make themselves very scarce. Of course, I hunt high pressure public ground, it might be a little morecasual overon private land like the Three Forks Ranch.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Yes EKM. From my limited experience hunting elk (SW colorado last year) on
public ground (San Juan National forest) the elk seemed educated. Atl least it
seemed that way since I did not see a live elk while hunting until the last morning
of the last day(all day for 5 days). He was a 4x4 and I was able to harvest him.
NO bugles-planning to archery huntnext, it will be great to finally hear some.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:19 PM

Man had a hard time getting here, forgot my pass word.

Just got back from Purgatorie valley. West of Trinidad, off Hwy 12, at the base of mountains that contain Trinchara peak.

Arrived Sunday the 31st. Drove back Sat. the 6th. Heard nothing saw nothing (except for dumb doe mule deer) saw lots of those. Camped at Purgatorie camp ground. Hunted pretty hard. Live at 400ft. above sea level, so that 10,000ft. mark slowed us down some, but we had horses to help a little. Found plenty of sign, tracks and poop, non real fresh. Couldn't figure out where they all went.

Kinda of think the hikers and joggers over Labor day Holiday might have spooked them over the mountain. Non of the other camps saw any either.

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 09-10-2008, 01:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Was up this last weekend and did not hear a bugle one. saw some bulls but they were quite and still up high. Where I was hunting it was 80 degrees everyday.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

Just returned a couple of day's ago. What I saw was wacky weather. Hot/cold with sun/rain/sleet/ and we got snow one night and down to 25*. No bugles but you could here a cow from time to time. Very hard hunting early in the week of the opener.Didn't see a thing until Wed. and that is unusual.That was a nice 4x4 mulie.......The wind is so unkind at 40 yrds[:@]
Missed a big 6x6 last Thurs evening. Arrowed a respectable 5x5 Fri. morning.It'll get tougher if you're up there this wk'nd .It's the opener of the ML season.
Even without a kill .....Bowhunting isthe most exciting,thrilling and most rewarding pastime I've ever known as an individual ....Family not withstanding of course.

Bill

Quick Reply: Colorado Archery season!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.