Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Serious backpack elkin'

Old 09-02-2008, 11:04 PM

Default Serious backpack elkin'

Well, I ordered my Dwight Schuh mega pack from Cabelas, and a Brunton razor stove. Ordered a eureka back country ultra-light tent, jetboil stove system as a primary, and about 200.00 worth of Mountain House food, rest of the gear i already own. I am heading in for a 10 day stay in the interior in about 2 weeks. Looks like I'm going solo as my hunting partner is bailing on me, too much work.[:'(] Nancy. Gear should start arriving towards the end of the week. Been pushing my crew to finish up this job. If we get done by the 12th I am giving them 2 weeks paid vacation as a bonus. I gotta work out something in the way of some day care, but all looks good. Looking foward to this hunt, looking foward to the packout as well.[8D] I am especially looking foward to hunting the interior elk and w/o the presence of other human beings, whatever it takes, wherever I have to go, I will do it. I damn near gave hunting up a few years ago b/c of my inabilty to escape rude and crappy hunters, last year I guided the backcountry with n outfitter (never again), but I at least got a taste for hunting the remote regions, and thatI liked. The stillness of the morning air, shattered by the roar of a hot bull, the pines, the fresh mountian streams, all the backcountry has to offer, can't wait.[8D]
Old 09-03-2008, 05:48 AM

Default RE: Serious backpack elkin'

You may have to pay that crewa day to help bring that bull to the trail head.My dwight is packed for about the 15thyear ,I have a tent ,bag,pad ,cot ,mess and stove in it now and a day pack with food and hunting stuff to hang off of it .That poor pack has been though a lot and then some.Goodluck to ya.

[/align]
Old 09-03-2008, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

Good Luck! It sounds like quite the vacation as well as a major dream hunt!

What area are you headed into?
Old 09-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

From the way he's talking it either the Bob or the Absorka's.Anyway it's beautiful contry to wake up to and go to sleep in.
Good luck Muley
BBJ
Old 09-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like a game plan to me..... you hiring..

good luck
Old 09-03-2008, 06:39 PM

ORIGINAL: dayna0306

You may have to pay that crewa day to help bring that bull to the trail head.My dwight is packed for about the 15thyear ,I have a tent ,bag,pad ,cot ,mess and stove in it now and a day pack with food and hunting stuff to hang off of it .That poor pack has been though a lot and then some.Goodluck to ya.

[/align]
You pack a cot? i got my zero degree bag, and therma-rest pad, but no way I'm packin a cot. I'm not packing water either. I am packing heat though in the form of a glock .45. On a recent scouting trip i discovered my GPS is cracked and it was time skippin all over the place. Took me a couple hours to get my bearings and make it back to the truck. Last time i ever rely soley on a GPS on the mountain. Also learned don't throw the GPS in the back of your pack, stuff it in the interior where it is protected. I slipped on a boulder as I was stepping off and landed on my back, good thing i had my pack on i thought, 250 bucks for a new GPS, I would rather have a sore back.[:@]

Old 09-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like an awesome hunt, good luck.
When your done with the hunt if you don't mind could you give a review on that Brunton stove. I'm a bit of a backpack junky, and I have not tried that stove yet so I would appreciate it. That Jetboil system should work well for you either way.
Good luck, and happy hunting!
Old 09-03-2008, 10:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg

Sounds like an awesome hunt, good luck.
When your done with the hunt if you don't mind could you give a review on that Brunton stove. I'm a bit of a backpack junky, and I have not tried that stove yet so I would appreciate it. That Jetboil system should work well for you either way.
Good luck, and happy hunting!
I certainly will. One of the problems I encountered was a lack of ratings/reviews from hunters doing the type of hunt i plan. I found a lot of backpackers talking about gear and rating it, by my uses are slightly different. I googled some websites on backpack hunting, but not many are into that type of hunting. From what i read, it is bar none the most effective way to get into quality big game hunting.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know what you mean, there are not too many people that like to do this kind of hunting. I for one enjoy it immensely. If you need any info/help, just pm me and I will do what I can.
If you get the chance read the book "Backcountry Bowhunting A Guide to the Wild Side" by Cameron Hanes, he has been doing it forquite a while, and it is worth a look.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:43 PM

Muley, are you interested in a hunting partner? Im in the bitterroot also (hamilton) and i hunt pretty much only backcountry. Recently my hunting partners have moved to alaska and billings and otherguys i know refuse to go with me anymore cuz they dont like to hike far. I hunt alot on foot with backpack but i also have horses and a mule for packing camp or elk out if warranted.

Quick Reply: Serious backpack elkin'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.