Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 What's your favorite elk hammer? >

What's your favorite elk hammer?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What's your favorite elk hammer?

Old 09-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's your favorite elk hammer?

I just find it humorous that he can't seem to keep track of the few responses that actually meet his VERY judgemental criteria.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:19 PM

I'll take my 70lb Hoyt Vector shooting 500gr full metal jackets tipped with Montecs over any rifle and I don't have to run with (or from) the orange army.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:42 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

For folks who have actually taken elk and aren't whimps on recoil management and know how to shoot competently.... "What is your favorite "elk hammer?"
By "elk hammer" I'm not talking about the "just get by" cartridges, as in "archery rifles" (poke a hole in them on a perfect broadside, bleed 'em out, and then hope you can find 'em/retrieve 'em), I mean cartridges with 200+ grain heavy bullets (a little downward adjustment allowed for Barnes).... high energy, deep penetrating, bone shattering, capable of handling unfavorable angles, slap'em down (without a CNS hit)cartridges. Also needs to be right at home with "plenty left over"at up to 300 yards.

[BTW, rifle needs to be capable of being packed in elk country and shot off hand.]
[Info on bullet type & velocitiesis preferred.]
[Info on rifle is optional.]

Remember, if you haven't done it, it don't count.
You vote, I'll keep track.
================================================== ==

1 = 30-06

1 = 300 WSM
2 = 300 WinMag
4 = 300 RUM
1 = 30-378 Weatherby
1 = 338 WinMag
2= 340 Weatherby
1 = 338 RUM
1 = 350 RemMag
1 = 375 H&H
1 = 375 Epstein
1 = 416 RemMag
---
Old 09-06-2008, 08:29 AM

ORIGINAL: HOYEAH

I use to own a Remington Sendero in 7mm STW - which I sold to LadySooner's son. That weapon has dropped a bull Elk at 428 yds. It is a tack driver too. Pictured below is a 3-shot group at 100 yds.

All the customizing you had done to that gun has made it one sweet gun. He is taking it to CO
I think next month to do some Elk Hunting.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

My .338 WM pushing a 225 grain Accubond at 2975 FPS. have taken two elk with this load and neither one knew what hit them.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:38 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

For folks who have actually taken elk and aren't whimps on recoil management and know how to shoot competently.... "What is your favorite "elk hammer?"
By "elk hammer" I'm not talking about the "just get by" cartridges, as in "archery rifles" (poke a hole in them on a perfect broadside, bleed 'em out, and then hope you can find 'em/retrieve 'em), I mean cartridges with 200+ grain heavy bullets (a little downward adjustment allowed for Barnes).... high energy, deep penetrating, bone shattering, capable of handling unfavorable angles, slap'em down (without a CNS hit)cartridges. Also needs to be right at home with "plenty left over"at up to 300 yards.

[BTW, rifle needs to be capable of being packed in elk country and shot off hand.]
[Info on bullet type & velocitiesis preferred.]
[Info on rifle is optional.]

Remember, if you haven't done it, it don't count.
You vote, I'll keep track.
================================================== ==

1 = 30-06

1 = 300 WSM
2 = 300 WinMag
4 = 300 RUM
1 = 30-378 Weatherby
2 = 338 WinMag
2= 340 Weatherby
1 = 338 RUM
1 = 350 RemMag
1 = 375 H&H
1 = 375 Epstein
1 = 416 RemMag
---
Old 09-10-2008, 07:41 AM

LOL @ thinking you need a cannon to kill Elk.

Got Insecurities?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Spike

Its funny, I had always assumed a big rifle load would kick a lot. And no doubt they do. However, I would challenge anyone who thinks they have a big kicking gun to shootone of the new sabot 12ga slugs on the market.I deer hunting in Wisconsin andI am not in rifle territory, so I have to use the closest thing I can. A 12ga Browning BPS, with Bushnell scope and 385gr Wichester Partition Gold Sabot Slugs. Talk about a sore shoulder. I use a 300 WSM 180gr for elk and it hits hard, but no where near the sabot slug.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Spike

I know my rem 700 270 is a little light; but what do you recommend shooting in it for the best knock down. Have always use rem 270 cartridges w/ 150 gr. ?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:06 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

LOL @ thinking you need a cannon to kill Elk.

Got Insecurities?
It is a matter of choice:
Some flip sticks to take elk.
Others use primitive muzzleloaders
Others use more "populist" rifles.
Others like using a "tour de force."

I cannot recall anywhere in this thread where it was deemed as being necessarythat one use a "elk hammer" to kill an elk. However, itWAS a call for those who favor the latter to compare notes. That said, it does seem to create instances of insecurity in some others who do not walk that walk.

Regarding the "cannon" connotation, speaking as one that has used weaponsboth bigger and smaller thanwhat is listed here,these cartridges are really not that big of a deal. Are you speaking from first hand experience or from imaginings?

Any trainingin the realm of recoil management (aside from "school of hard knocks" and/or the "just take it" approach)?

Quick Reply: What's your favorite elk hammer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.