Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 What's your favorite elk hammer? >

What's your favorite elk hammer?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What's your favorite elk hammer?

Old 09-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's your favorite elk hammer?

Red,
What happened to the 325 WSM?BTW I to like the 300 and .338 RUM find them a joy to shoot and get a giggle evreytime I shoot a animal with one PRUE SMACK DOWN!!!

Not voting again just asking.
BBJ
Old 09-03-2008, 06:43 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

For folks who have actually taken elk and aren't whimps on recoil management and know how to shoot competently.... "What is your favorite "elk hammer?"
By "elk hammer" I'm not talking about the "just get by" cartridges, as in "archery rifles" (poke a hole in them on a perfect broadside, bleed 'em out, and then hope you can find 'em/retrieve 'em), I mean cartridges with 200+ grain heavy bullets (a little downward adjustment allowed for Barnes).... high energy, deep penetrating, bone shattering, capable of handling unfavorable angles, slap'em down (without a CNS hit)cartridges. Also needs to be right at home with "plenty left over"at up to 300 yards.

[BTW, rifle needs to be capable of being packed in elk country and shot off hand.]
[Info on bullet type & velocitiesis preferred.]
[Info on rifle is optional.]

Remember, if you haven't done it, it don't count.
You vote, I'll keep track.
================================================== ==

1 = 30-06

2 = 300 WinMag
3 = 300 RUM
1 = 30-378 Weatherby
1 = 338 WinMag
2= 340 Weatherby
1 = 338 RUM
1 = 350 RemMag
1 = 375 H&H
1 = 375 Epstein
---
Old 09-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know I have only taken two, but I still don't count?
Old 09-03-2008, 09:36 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

From the beginning, it was not a discussion about just elk rifles, rather "elk hammers" and then the definition for the thread followed, some exceeded it by far, others just squeeked by even if a little unlikely,.... some cleanly didn't....

"....I mean cartridges with 200+ grain heavy bullets (a little downward adjustment allowed for Barnes).... high energy, deep penetrating, bone shattering, capable of handling unfavorable angles, slap'em down (without a CNS hit)cartridges. Also needs to be right at home with "plenty left over"at up to 300 yards....
You placed yourself below the bar. I takeyou at your own word. Your case that you have a decent elk rifle is valid; "elk hammer" per this thread.... not.

As I said earlier, folks are welcome to start a thread singing the praises of the American mid-range rifles for elk hunting; however, that is not what this thread is about.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ouch, harsh, I see others shooting below 200 grains...but it is your post.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:54 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Fair enough, so adjusted. In the other case though it was 180 gr. TSX out of a 300 RUM which is a different story.

For folks who have actually taken elk and aren't whimps on recoil management and know how to shoot competently.... "What is your favorite "elk hammer?"
By "elk hammer" I'm not talking about the "just get by" cartridges, as in "archery rifles" (poke a hole in them on a perfect broadside, bleed 'em out, and then hope you can find 'em/retrieve 'em), I mean cartridges with 200+ grain heavy bullets (a little downward adjustment allowed for Barnes).... high energy, deep penetrating, bone shattering, capable of handling unfavorable angles, slap'em down (without a CNS hit)cartridges. Also needs to be right at home with "plenty left over"at up to 300 yards.

[BTW, rifle needs to be capable of being packed in elk country and shot off hand.]
[Info on bullet type & velocitiesis preferred.]
[Info on rifle is optional.]

Remember, if you haven't done it, it don't count.
You vote, I'll keep track.
================================================== ==

1 = 30-06

2 = 300 WinMag
3 = 300 RUM
1 = 30-378 Weatherby
1 = 338 WinMag
2= 340 Weatherby
1 = 338 RUM
1 = 350 RemMag
1 = 375 H&H
1 = 375 Epstein
---
Old 09-04-2008, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

Hello Everyone: I have used a Sako 75 chambered for .416 Rem firing a 300 gr Barnes X at 2,850 fps. The SD is quite low at .24, it is light for caliber and, well, it is a Barnes so that makes up for a little. As much as I like it, and it is a hammer, I have high hopes for the .375 Ruger in about a month. Using the 285 gr Grand Slam (SD is .29), I get alot closer to the "magic" .3 SD number we should all be shooting, with exceptions for our friends at Barnes. I have been using 77.9gr of IMR 4350 and have been pleased with the results to the point the stock split (and was replaced).

Also EKM, your requirements eliminate another favorite of mine, the .45-70. I'd say it really does not meet your 200 yard requirement, because of the holdover, but in the timber, there isn't a better choice.

Good luck on your hunts this year!
Old 09-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

I use a .300WSM with 180 Barnes MRX bullet. Its flat, its fast, and that bullet goes deep with 100% weight retention. The gun is also smaller and lighter making it easier to carry on the pack trips i do
Old 09-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

BBJ,
Friend of mine has the .325WSM. Nice gun. And it's in a Thompson Center Encore setup. Light and easy to carry with a trigger adjusted down to less than 3lbs. Shoots nice, tight groups and has taken a nice bull with it.
He is shooting a 200gr accubond with it. As I am a huge fan of the Encore with multiple barrels in my safe, I would like to add the 325 as a backup elk rifle, but am afraid I might pass by the RUM? The Encore would be a stainless/synthetic setup and that alone makes a week chasing elk in weather such a nice thing. With my baby, I have to keep her a little more protected and pampered during the week and especially upon my return.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:46 AM

My 30-06 will kill them just as dead, just as fast. My round of choice is Federal Premium 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip.

Quick Reply: What's your favorite elk hammer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.