Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 What's your favorite elk hammer? >

What's your favorite elk hammer?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What's your favorite elk hammer?

Old 09-02-2008, 08:15 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What's your favorite elk hammer?

Update @ 13:

For folks who have actually taken elk and aren't whimps on recoil management and know how to shoot competently.... "What is your favorite "elk hammer?"
By "elk hammer" I'm not talking about the "just get by" cartridges, as in "archery rifles" (poke a hole in them on a perfect broadside, bleed 'em out, and then hope you can find 'em/retrieve 'em), I mean cartridges with 200+ grain heavy bullets (a little downward adjustment allowed for Barnes).... high energy, deep penetrating, bone shattering, capable of handling unfavorable angles, slap'em down (without a CNS hit)cartridges. Also needs to be right at home with "plenty left over"at up to 300 yards.

[BTW, rifle needs to be capable of being packed in elk country and shot off hand.]
[Info on bullet type & velocitiesis preferred.]
[Info on rifle is optional.]

Remember, if ya ain't done it, it don't count.
You vote, I'll keep track.
================================================== ==

1 = 30-06

3 = 300 WinMag
2 = 300 RUM
1 = 30-378 Weatherby
1 = 338 WinMag
2= 340 Weatherby
1 = 350 RemMag
1 = 375 H&H
1 = 375 Epstein
---
Old 09-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

And sorry for you too sclwald, your's is even less effective at anchoring elk on the spot. Lord knows that 150 or 160 grain bullet will only bounce off their hide.

I would argue this point!
Old 09-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a bad back. 2 bad disc low and 3 high. I still manage to shoot a 300 RUM with Premier Scirocco Bonded - Power Level III, with a muzzle brake. 3250 FPS, and 4221 ft lbs of energy. I bought a new CZ 375 H&H that I'm going to try this year on shorter range situations and I'm going to try my 12 ga slug gun in the warm afternoons in the timber.

So far the 300 RUM has dropped them like a rock. But the elk I have shot with it have been less than 30 yards.

Out of 7 bulls, I've only had 2 that ran off, both were shot with a 30.06. One was just a bad quick shot(first elk). Elk went about 75 yards, I had to put another round in him. The other was a decent shot went about 200 yards. This is the only one we had to track.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I cannot participate because I use a 30-06 with 180gr bullets. I might still be a little wet behind the ears, but it still slapped one down in Idaho, and one in Montana. I'm sure it will do the same on my first elk hunt in Colorado.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:21 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Anyone pushinga discussion about "below the stated bar"in a thread like this one, that identified and targetedthe upper end of weaponry right from the get go is likely to be disappointed, as can be seen by those speaking of bullets "bouncing off", etc.

Feel free to open up a thread on the more "average" stuff and just have at it as tohow great and special they are. You'all should have no shortage of audience and participation, especially if you'all just open it up to all who havesimply thought about it, never mind having done it. If you'all haven't heard the strong heavy"slap" of truly heavy bulletson medium to high speed impact, then I can see how you'all might get all excited about the "slap down" term. Those of us that have been there and done it (without using a CNS hit).... know.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:42 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

For folks who have actually taken elk and aren't whimps on recoil management and know how to shoot competently.... "What is your favorite "elk hammer?"
By "elk hammer" I'm not talking about the "just get by" cartridges, as in "archery rifles" (poke a hole in them on a perfect broadside, bleed 'em out, and then hope you can find 'em/retrieve 'em), I mean cartridges with 200+ grain heavy bullets (a little downward adjustment allowed for Barnes).... high energy, deep penetrating, bone shattering, capable of handling unfavorable angles, slap'em down (without a CNS hit)cartridges. Also needs to be right at home with "plenty left over"at up to 300 yards.

[BTW, rifle needs to be capable of being packed in elk country and shot off hand.]
[Info on bullet type & velocitiesis preferred.]
[Info on rifle is optional.]

Remember, if you haven't done it, it don't count.
You vote, I'll keep track.
================================================== ==

1 = 30-06

2 = 300 WinMag
2 = 300 RUM
1 = 30-378 Weatherby
1 = 338 WinMag
2= 340 Weatherby
1 = 350 RemMag
1 = 375 H&H
1 = 375 Epstein
---
Old 09-03-2008, 05:47 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

Wow you guys are shooting some cannons.
Not all that much bigger. Cannons? It sounds like youmay bespeaking from realm of imagination rather than the reality ofexperience regarding some of the more robust cartridges.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:53 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

Do you just look in the scope and shoot for fur?
I can't speak for others, personally I strive to hit the vital areaas accurately as possible.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:00 AM

One more 300rum shooter here.

[/align]
Old 09-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

.338RUM....Remington 700BDL....removed the muzzle brake as I want to keep the hearing I still possess.
22" barrel, Leupold 4x12x50, 225gr Accubond, 97gr H1000, 2950fps. For those that believe the myth of too short a barrel will rob accuracy and speed, I get sub MOA with this setup and am only about 80fps below my brother setup, same ammo specs but shoots an XCR with a 26" barrel.
I have a new box of tipped triple X's that I am going to test this month!!! Not because I am not satisfied with the performance of the accubonds, but rather I like shooting and it is a reason to shoot some more.

Quick Reply: What's your favorite elk hammer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.