Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Which Boots...

Old 08-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default Which Boots...

Sorry if you have already read this post, I made the same post in the Gear Reviews forum with no success. I thought this might be a more suitable place to ask this question.

I am looking for a good pair of boots to take to the mountains on an elk hunt,they have to bereliable and comfortable. My feet tend to stay warm, so I am not looking for anything with a lot of insulation, maybe 400 grams of thinsulate at the most. I have heard people say I need a taller boot for ankle and calf support. If this is the case, would a 8 or 9" boot be sufficient? Thanks in advance for all the advice and input.

This is the boot that I am leaning towards, but haven't made up my mind quite yet. Since these boots are new, there really aren't many reviews on them.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_99719____SearchResults

Old 08-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which Boots...

Here's a post from a few weeks ago on the same subject - http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2889982

Old 08-27-2008, 03:16 PM

Check out Cabelas Iron Ridge boots. A good boot at a good price. I also like the Columbia Bugabootoo boot, it's a little lighter weight boot than the Iron Ridge, but very comfortable. Danner gets rave reviews, mihgt want to check those out. I suggest trying on a bunch of different boots and let your feet tell you which one to buy.

Bugs.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

Danner's all the way. They make some great boots and they will last. They have new boots out with a special sole thats amazing along with being extremely light weight compared to the competitors. I use Danner's when I elk hunt.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

Danner pronghorns. Had my feet measured and order a new pair yesterday.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Fork Horn

Go try boots on.
Find the boots that best fit your feet.
I fit people and sell boots in a mountaineering and hiking shop. Taller boots do not provide more ankle support. That is a fallacy. Support comes from the lower leg muscles, last and footbeds. Higher cuffs provide abrasion protection.
I hunt, hike and porter in Vasque Zephyr's. I regularly carry loads in excess of 100 lbs. as far as 20+ miles while portering.

Your feet may stay warm in Oklahoma. Add 8,000+ft. and a temp. drop of 30-40 degrees and that could change.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well your looking at danners that is a good start,but my experiance with Danners is you are going to want to try them on FIRST!!!!They can run a bit small for size and a little narrow.
I prefer a boot with the soles sewen right to the welt insted of glued(I don't care what compound is used the soles fall off after some hard use).
My choice is the Danner Elk hunter 8" 400 gram thinsulate(my feet sweat and these boots are plenty warm at 10 above or below).
My other choice I cant find and more and that was the Irish Setter Elk hunters in 600 gram 10",these boots I wore ice fishing and stubblefield goose hunting for the last 4 yrs and they are a pleasure to hike in with late season pheasants.
Good luck
BBJ
Old 09-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Redwing loggers
Old 09-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

My.02......
I would add that some tend to go the wrong way with the suggestion that you need more insulation when talking of "mountain" hunting. Everyone has their opinion, I find that I need more insulation on my feet when sitting in a deer blind in Texas for 4 hours in 50 degree weather with minimal movement, than I need hiking up and down mountains in Colorado in 20 degree weather. JMHO. I find that Danner Pronghorns (uninsulated) are just about the greatest thing my feet have encountered since that big boned swedish woman with the great big "man-hands" at the massage palace!!!
Old 09-06-2008, 07:17 AM

I have a pair of 8" "Danner Elk Hunters" also which I've used for Montana elk hunting. They are by far one of the best pieces of equipment I own.

Quick Reply: Which Boots...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.