Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Accubonds for Elk?

Old 08-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Accubonds for Elk?

The Accubond's will work just fine......their damned accurate too!

Brett
Old 09-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Spike

I just dumped another 60 inch moose yesterday with 260 grain accubonds out of a .375. They held together perfectly and mushroomed nicely in all instances.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Accubonds will work and work well. They are but one of several that will work well. IS a Chevy better than a Ford or better than a Toyota? Depends on who you ask. All will do as they are designed but there will always be exceptions. Same with bullets. On-line opinions are like ...well....you know..we all got one!!!
I would second the opinion of Tx and shoot which ever of the good bullets that your gun likes the best! More than likely your gun will make the decision for ya. But remember, the powder choice will also influence as well.More is not always better. Good luck.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:49 PM

Go to the nosler web page and then go to thier forum. you will find your answer there and maybe one of the guys from nosler will asnwer your question... I am a member there as well!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I've made my peace with my accubonds. I'm buying them over the counter and actually using the Winchester Supreme's. They load them a tiny bit hotter than Federal does (2,950fps at the muzzle vs. 2,900fps for Federal).I'm going to try to shoot a few of them tonight and see how they do. If they don't group well I might try the Federals with Nosler Partitions.

Not a lot of choices in big game loads over the counter here in Texas even at Cabelas in Ft. Worth so the only other choicefor me over the counteris Federal with Nosler Partitions. Really the Partitions, Triple Shock, Accubonds and Trophy Bonded Tips all chart out the same at 160gr out of the 7mm Rem Mag. The accubond doesn't expand quite as wide as the others which in my thinkingwill help with penetration if I hit a shoulder bone. It still holds together well and retains most of its mass.

Hopefully I'll get to try it out on a real elkin a few weeks!
Old 09-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

I used them in Colorado for Mule Deer in my .300 WSM (180gr). The buck dropped in its tracks at 235 yards (high shoulder shot). I've also shot 3 whitetails with them. All three shots were in the boiler room.One dropped in its tracks, the others ran 30 to 50 yards.

Honestly, I believe they're a bit much for Deer -at least out of the .300 WSM. I believe they'd be great for elk.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot my last two elk with an accubond. 1st one was shot at 355 yard and I hit her a little forward and went itnto the front shoulder and I have a completes pass thru...she went 30 yards a dead. 2nd one was shot at 55 yards and needless to say she ran farter than first but she was a mess....both luings gone....just going on adreniline!!! that are my #1 choice for bullets all around.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have used the 160 AB out of my rem magon elk, moose and deer with no troubles. I'll be using the AB in a month's time when moose hunting as it has proven at this point to be the most accurate 225grcombo I have loadedfor my 338wm. I have absolutely no doubt it will perform again.

Good luck