Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Camp food

Old 08-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Camp food

Tater tot cassarol(sp),stew,gravy(hamburger is great with mash potatos),Potatos,Kilbasa,kraught,about aything you can cook will go into a 2 gal bag.Think meat,calories and filler.
BBJ
Old 08-26-2008, 03:38 PM

Mac and Cheese with little smokies tossed in. Had that for the first time on my first elk hunt. It's a fan favorite, cheap and easy, which reminds me of somemy dates in high school.

Bugs.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

All I can say is YUCK!!!!!!!
I have an elk camp, we have anywhere from 6 to 15 guys, I do all the cooking...and I mean cooking!! not this have your wife cook something up and put in a bag or Tupperware and U take it to elk camp heat it up and say damn I did good!!!!!
I charge every one $200 for the season andI provide all the beer and food, if they want booze it's BYOB!!!
we have salmon steak or fillets, tuna steaks, beef steaks...fresh salads, fresh baked bread (1 thing I do have my wife do), pasta dishes U name it we have most likely had it!!! C'mon here guys iffn ya gonna cook ...then cook!!!!!!!! I ain't that hard!!!!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

Finnbear,

Sorry, your food sounds good but the last thing I want to do after a hard day of chasing mulies through the mountains is sit by a fire freezing my but off and eating a salad. Alot of the time we get our deer at last light and are just getting into camp at 9 or 10 PM. There just isn't any time for cooking. Doing the bag'n'boil method you can have a great meal (you can still bring salad if you want) and it's just like reheating leftovers.

By the way one other thing that is good is to get a rotiserrie chicken or two from Costco or Sam's and either use the pieces or bone out the meat and use the meat. You can use the meat in tacos, pita sandwiches, burritos or even a quick soup. It cuts down on the prep time and they are delicious.

Spud
Old 08-26-2008, 08:51 PM

Finnbear,

Where's your camp and when is dinner? Do I need to bring my own silverware and plate? I'm partial to ales, ESB Redhook or Goose Island Pale Ale will be just fine.

See you in the mountains.
Bugs.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:28 AM
DM

I had no idea so many folks eat LEFT OVERS in there hunting camp... lol lol

I rather enjoy sitting around doing some cooking after i've hunted all day. I take fresh food, like potatoes, onions, eggs, and bread. Alsosome meat to last a few days, bisquick ect.. I then also take cans of canned bacon and other meat ect... There's always fresh meat in camp, and also many times fish too...

Boiled leftovers every day... boy, that's living! lol

DM
Old 08-28-2008, 01:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Onions, Potatoes, eggs, onions steak and onions. That should cover it. However those fresh fish would be hard to beat. Don't forget the Onions.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:34 AM

Do you guys pack this stuff in dry ice or will it keep a few days in a cooler?
Old 08-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: James B

Don't forget the Onions.
James, I've always enjoyed your posts but didn't know that you were also gifted with superior intellect and taste.

Spud
Old 08-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: pintailduck

Do you guys pack this stuff in dry ice or will it keep a few days in a cooler?
It's cool up in the mountains where I go, so things usually keep with just some ice. If I'm concerned abou them keeping I freeze it and put it on ice. I have a 5-day cooler that keeps stuff pretty well.

Spud

Quick Reply: Camp food

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.