Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Getting ELKY yet?

Old 08-24-2008, 02:55 PM

Default Getting ELKY yet?

Well its that time of year. I have done some preliminary scouting but nothing like i normally due. Buddies are starting to call asking if we have been here or there, what have i seen etc. I can hardly wait to hear the first bull of the season buglingacross the mountain. We had planned a pack in hunt this year but things kinda just fell apart. I have been so busy at work, and a couple of guys didn't get tags. Summer just slipped by and thoughts have turned to elk over the last few weeks. On a June scouting trip I saw several elk and good sign, but i haven't returned to the area since. Grouse season kicks off in a week, it is finally time.[8D]
Old 08-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Getting ELKY yet?

I can't wait till Oct 18th. I have been going over my gear list, adding, subtracting, and generally fretting over nothing. I'm chomping at the bit already.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am headed home to Idaho in 12 days!!! I can't wait to hear a bugle as well!
Old 08-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

I can smell elk already.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to work all this week, so today I packed all my gear and loaded the trailer. We go up this Friday afternoon. I can hardly wait!
Old 08-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm heading to Western Montana on Sept 5th (18 hour drive), so hopefully we'll get settled in late Saturday evening. I'll be there for 10-14 days hunting, I don't have a tag,I'm just going along to help my 3 buddies that did draw.

Will the bulls be bugling this early, or when do they get fired up? This is our first elk hunt, so it will definately be a learning experience!
Old 08-24-2008, 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Rammer

I'm heading to Western Montana on Sept 5th (18 hour drive), so hopefully we'll get settled in late Saturday evening. I'll be there for 10-14 days hunting, I don't have a tag,I'm just going along to help my 3 buddies that did draw.

Will the bulls be bugling this early, or when do they get fired up? This is our first elk hunt, so it will definately be a learning experience!
I haven't heard any reports yet of bugling bulls, but the 5-20 that you'll be here they will be screaming, except of course, the one i down opening morn.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wish ya luck there Muley! We are hoping to get at least one bull down! Thats our goal anyways, I'm actually pretty glad I didn't draw. This will be a good learning trip for us all. I'm just trying to figure out what I am forgetting.

I have an external frame pack, a Badlands 2200, a Blackawk day pack, lotsa different elk bugles, cow calls, etc. I have 2 good GPSs a compass, a real good headlamp, 2 real good lightweight Pelican flashlights, a Kimber 45 for the side, and a bunch of layering clothes and warm weather clothes.....

If you can think of anything I might be forgetting, let me know! Thanks.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:02 PM

Let's see... Sat. I spent most of the day planning equipment and supply lists with a buddy while we burned the wall tent stove for the first time. Then last night I spent 4 hours going over maps with my neighbor. He's leaving Thurs. for CO archery, I'm heading out for 1st rifle in Oct. We found out a couple weeks ago we both elk hunt and it turns out he bow hunts just 10-15 miles from where I've rifle hunted in the past. So we traded info. and I showed him Google Earth of the area. Days are getting shorter, it's almost time.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:09 AM
Fork Horn

I start getting the fever as soon as ski season is done (June). Bulls are bugling in Grand Teton Natl. Park, Bridger-Teton and Caribou-Targhee Natl. Forest.

Quick Reply: Getting ELKY yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.