HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Walking stick for mountains (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/257724-walking-stick-mountains.html)

RockinGlock 08-14-2008 02:08 PM

Walking stick for mountains

How many use a walking stick while hunting the mountains for Elk? Either a stick you picked up off the ground and made it your walking stick or one that you bought like the Leki models?

121553 08-14-2008 03:32 PM

RE: Walking stick for mountains

Your kidding, right? A 40 pound backpack along with a bow or gun is enough gear for me.

Bobby

RockinGlock 08-14-2008 06:21 PM

LOL. I wish I was, but my pack isnt 40 it's 60lbs. I figured it would help on those stepp mountains?

Colorado Luckydog 08-14-2008 09:00 PM

I use my shooting sticks, when rifle hunting. When I'm bow hunting I don't use one.

Wlfdg 08-14-2008 10:46 PM

I use collapsable trekking poles. They double as shooting sticks.

Champlain Islander 08-15-2008 06:24 AM

I use one I pick up off the ground when packing an elk out. It helps when you have 75 to 100 pounds on your back.

millagerobert 08-15-2008 11:04 AM

I started usinga lightweight collapsible trekking pole this year. At first I wasn't used to it, but now I use it all the time, and wouldn't hike without it. It really helps when packing a heavy load for keeping balance and taking shock off from your knees when going downhill. Also when hiking with a light pack it is handy when crossing streams on slick rocks, moving brush out of the way. I have a tendency to fall a couple times per trip, since I am usually looking for game or at the scenery, but since using a pole I have yet to wipe out, since it gives me something to lean against when I stumble. My friends gave me crap for using it, saying I looked like a granola hiker, but now they are looking at using one too.

I highly recommend using one, I feel with the reduction in shock to my knees and less falls it could actually add a few years to my hunting, and that is worth all the snide remarks from my dumb tough buddies.

Wlfdg 08-15-2008 12:42 PM

millagerobert, I use a Voile' ski strap to X my poles and they make great shooting sticks. Since they are already in my hands I don't need to dig them out of my pack. I put a heavy wrap of duct tape on the shafts below the handles for the rifle to rest on.

Chris

Champlain Islander 08-15-2008 01:27 PM

I'll have to try that since my knees do get bothered by going downhill from time to time.

dayna0306 08-16-2008 08:30 AM

Last year on a bow hunt my bother had one and I said why would you carry something else.Will half way up a montain he handed it to me ,after an hour I didn't want to give it back.It saved me on a couple of would be falls with heavy packs[elk quaters].I found a old elk rub that I still have in the back of the truck and use all the time.