Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Wolves kill more local hunters hounds >

Wolves kill more local hunters hounds

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wolves kill more local hunters hounds

Old 08-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default Wolves kill more local hunters hounds

These are some of the better hound hunters in the area and they had great dogs. Some don't like hound hunting, and with the wolves continuing to kill hounds no one will be doing it anymore here shortly anyways. Most hound hunters in our area have quit after loosing their dogs. Just a matter of time until a person gets in between the wolves and their dogs and gets killed too, or some day hiker and their lab happen down the wrong trail. A few wolves in the backcountry is one thing, now we have them in our backyards, people are scared to let their kids play outside alone or venture out on their own property at night. Hunting would help check the #'s but a lone enviro judge in Montana struck that down. Original deal was for 350 wolves, now we have 3000 and they still want more.

KAMIAH, Idaho (AP) _ Members of a northern Idaho family say six
of their prized Walker hounds were killed in confrontations with
wolves during a hunting excursion.
Members of the Schilling family, of Kamiah, say the dogs were
killed Sunday in the Smith Ridge area during a run to track down
bears.
The dog's owners returned to the area Tuesday to document the
attack with a trapper from the Federal Wildlife Services agency.
George Fischer, a conservation officer for the Idaho Department
of Game and Fish, says the best way to avoid wolf attacks on hounds
is to stay as close to the dogs as possible.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wolves kill more local hunters hounds

so i wonder what all the wolf-lovin tree huggers are going to say to justify this.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Typical Buck

so i wonder what all the wolf-lovin tree huggers are going to say to justify this.

They say its the hunters and the dogs fault, the wolves are just being Canadian Grey wolves (even though this isn't the wilds of Canada). They suggest staying with your dogs, which I don't know of any person that can keep up with hounds chasing a bear or lion.
It basically is just a round about way to do away with the tradition of hound hunting. We have already noticed an increase in bears and lions, especially close to town, with less hound hunters out there. The predators are following the prey animals which have been chased out of the woods by the wolves and are seeking sanctuary closer to human populations. So now it is not just the wolves directly killing our game, it is also the side effect of more bear and cougars to kill game due to less population control through hound hunting.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dammit, this wolf thing is really starting to piss me off! I hope I don't see any elk hunting!!
Old 08-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

i hope i DO see some while im elk hunting this year. they wont find me so friendly.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

SSS

These tree hugging ******s are smater than you think. This whole wolf thing is to put a stop to hunting.

SSS
Old 08-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Spike

They're actually talking about a hunt for them here in WI within the next two years. Cattle and dog kills have be spiraling upwards here, and "maybe" someone finally woke up.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Fork Horn

well dont get your hopes up we were supposed to have a season this fall. wyoming had already open up hunting on them in most of the state. but that judge in montana put the brakes on that. i wonder how his neighbors have been treating him?
Old 08-14-2008, 10:44 PM
Fork Horn

S S S
Old 08-15-2008, 09:25 AM
Spike

Yep...not holding our breath, but here is an article indicating that there "may" be something in the works!??

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=783195

Quick Reply: Wolves kill more local hunters hounds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.