HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   whats a good .308 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/257045-whats-good-308-a.html)

floydfollower 08-10-2008 09:31 PM

whats a good .308

I'm trying to decide what type of rifle i want. this is the first rifle i have ever purchased. i have used a 12 gauge my whole life. i have decide to go with a .308 but i'm not sure who makes a good model. i plan on hunting white tail and other big game. any suggestions?

Folically Challenged 08-10-2008 09:46 PM

RE: whats a good .308

Go to a store that has as many rifles as you can find, then fondle each of them, slowly, lovingly, tenderly...

The rifle will choose you.

Don't get caught-up in trying to choose the "best" brand or model. For the most part, they all go "bang". Most every model of rifle will have people who've had bad experiences with them, but if a particular model is still being sold, then the company must be pleasing enough people enough of the time. Ruger, Marlin, Winchester, Remington, Browning, Weatherby, Howa, etc... whatever feels best in your hands, is the best rifle for you.

FC

Skeeder1964 08-11-2008 08:26 PM

My personal choice is Remington. All my rifles and my shotguns are Remingtons. The only gun that isn't one is a CVA Muzzleloader. That is my opinion anyways. I know many hunters like the Browning too. If I was ever to get another rifle it would be the Remington model 700 BDL 308. I have a 308 carbine Remington right now that I wouldn't get rid of. A 280 model 7400 also. I take that back, I have a Ruger single six 22, 22 magnum pistol that was my father's too.

Hurricanespg 08-11-2008 08:29 PM

As mentioned before pick the one that fits you best. Having said that I'm hooked on Savage.

x-mountie 08-11-2008 08:35 PM

As F.C. said. He has given you pretty good advice there. One thing you didn't mention, and should be considered, is what type of action ? You say you have used a 12 ga., what action is it, and you may want to stick to that type (ie: pump shotgun - pump rifle ).

thndrchiken 08-12-2008 07:25 AM

You need to ask yourself a couple of questions. First what is your budget? there are many guns out there that will go bang when you pull the trigger. Second, what other big game are you planning on hunting? While a 308 will kill an animal there are other cartridges that may be better suited for a particular task. Third, what are the conditions you think you will be encountering most often? Does this need to be an all weather gun or is the area your going to be hunting lend itself to long shots or thick woods. This may dictate what type of action is best suited for your needs. Four, are you planning on scoping the gun? General consensus is to spend as much as you can afford on the scope. My feeling as well as many others on this board is that we would rather have an average gun with above average glass as opposed to cheap glass on an expensive gun.

floydfollower 08-12-2008 10:41 AM

thanks for the advice! right now i am living in NY but once i graduate from college i would like to move out west. the gun shop im going to is the biggest dealer in PA so im sure i wont be having any trouble fidning a gun right for me. ill let ya know what i get

James B 08-16-2008 10:40 AM

While the same gun may have a different feel for different hunters, my favorite is the Browning A-Bolt light weight composite Stalker. A friend adjusted the trigger for me and I have a 4x12 good quality scope on it. Love it.:D

Skeeder1964 08-16-2008 08:58 PM

James B, I met a guy and his son from Jamestown ND last fall, and another guy from Robinson ND. Milton is from Robinson who was in camp with us in colorado, and so was Clay and his Spencer from Jamestown ND. We are all going to the same place this fall, hopefully with better results. Myself and a friend will know a little more of what to expect by going back again.

bitpacker 08-17-2008 06:57 AM

Savage are good rifles. I like the Remington too. Just do not break the bank for your rifle. You should be able to find a good rifle in the $500-$800 range. Then pick a good scope to mount on it. I think everybody in this forum will agree that the scope is as important as the rifle..