Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Flying with your gear?

Old 08-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Spike

Default Flying with your gear?

I"m looking for advice on traveling with gear. I"m flying to Colorado foran archery hunt. I have the option of shipping my bow and other hunting gear with either UPS or FEDEX so I don't have to lug it through the airports. I also have a connecting flight and I have to worry about my gear getting where it needs to be. Anybody had any good or bad experiences with the airlines, or good or bad experiences with UPS / FEDEX
Old 08-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Flying with your gear?

I have traveled several times with my gear and have never had any problems at the airport. One year the lady at the check in desk did ask me to show her that my bow was unloaded...[&:] But that os about it. Never thought of UPS but it does sound easier.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

Considering that some airlines are charging extra for luggage these days, it might not be a bad idea to at least ship your bow if you have someone on the receiving end to sign for it. When I flew out last year, it was a direct flight but on the way back, I shipped my gear in one box and my bow back and took two coolers full of elk on the flight as luggage. Worked quite well as they only charged my an extra $40 for one cooler being over the weight limit. That's just my one experience and I'm sure others will have some thoughts on that. Good hunting to ya!
Old 08-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went to Alberta last year. A few things that I ran into. The screeners do not like Duck Tape. I had a roll at check in and when scanning they asked about it. I pulled the tape out and taped mybow case shut so that it would not open. On the way back, the Canadian side asked me not to board with it, taped bow case shut and gave them the rest. I forgot my EZ hanger in my carry on, they asked and I showed them how it worked and what it was for. They allowed me to carry on a heavy sharpened piece of metal, but I also told them if it was a problem that they could have it, for $12 I wasn't going to miss the flight. Also get the best bow case you can afford, I spent $150 on a used SK, but my buddy bought a Plano, mine had a bent lock and his had a hole!!!! No damage to the bow but a hole in his case.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

Fed Ex rates are better, but I normally only ship back my gear if bringing back some meat.

I have flown to Colorado alot and never had a problem that was the airlines fault.