HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Ghillie Or No Ghillie! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/256585-ghillie-no-ghillie.html)

Colorado Luckydog 08-07-2008 06:40 PM

Ghillie Or No Ghillie!

I have a few friends that wear ghillie suits for bow hunting and predator hunting. I have never owned a ghillie suit and I have killed deer and elk at 15 yards. Have I been missing something with the ghillie suits or is this something that helps Marine snipers but is a gimmick for hunting? I want every real advantage I can get, but I don't want to wear a ghillie suit, if it's really a SILLY SUIT. What's your opinion?

Thanks Bryan

Hurricanespg 08-07-2008 07:35 PM

RE: Ghillie Or No Ghillie!

I don't think you really gain all the much with the ghillie suit, don't get me wrong I think it works great and I have used a homemade one quite extensively. I just don't think it is really needed.
I use one when I feel like it just because I like it, not because I think it will help me a great deal in getting closer to game.

Howler 08-08-2008 04:36 PM

For bow hunting, I've never worn my guillie, BUT I wear it often while calling coyotes on the prairies of Colo.

I've got the ultralight guillie top, and at times it snags on things enough to "frustrate" me a little, BUT I still wear it a lot, when there is no snow, while calling coyotes.

MosesLakehunter 08-08-2008 10:38 PM

They don't seem to be worth it. Most of the time you are going to get busted because the smell you or see you move.

kodiakhuntmaster 08-08-2008 11:38 PM

I used to have one, and I didn't like it very much. Seemed like a good idea but it got snagged on everything and I found it much harder to see and hear things around me while I was wearing it.

ElkNutz 08-09-2008 08:49 AM

Brian,
I built that one I got and wore it a few times. I then found the NatGear 3D leafy suit that is far more useable. If I were to buy one it would be the leafy suit for coyote and bow hunting. There is no way a guillie suit would work for bowhunting. You would be either wrapped up in a fence of hung up in the brush CONSTANTLY! Plus when you realeased your bow. You wheels will grab the strings.

bugs11 08-09-2008 09:20 AM

Ghillie suits are great to scare the be-jibbers out kids when camping. My kids school has acamp out every year for the 6th graders at a local recreation area and there's an old farm stead on the place. Supposedly it's haunted by the Moss Man, a creature covered in moss and twigs (ghillie suit). With everyone sitting around the fire sharing stories, the Ranger recounts the story of Moss Man. Then I make an appearance in said ghillie suit (borrowed), waving my arms and roaring... those kids about jump out of their skins, it's hilarious.

Bugs.

drs1961 08-09-2008 11:45 AM

As mentioned, they do snag if you're stalking in wooded or brushy country but for taking a stand to call in or wait on a critter they are the best camo available.Ghillies cover the four aspects of camouflage, shape, shine, silhouette, and shadow better than any pattern available. If itfools the keen eyes of predators, it is more than effective on thecervus family. You no longer look like a human or even an out of place shape. Your only giveaway then lies with scent. I use one to pistol huntsitting on the ground and have deer walk to within ten feet of me oblivious of my presence.

spuddog 08-09-2008 04:28 PM

I haven't used one but my hunting buddy took his home made one out dove hunting (cuz he was hunting close to a subdivision and didn't want to stand out) and had a group of white tails walk by. He played with them for about 10 minutes getting them to come into him and then backing off. He could tell that they couldn't tell what he was and were trying to figure him out. He finally had to yell and drive them off because they were getting too close (w/in 10 ft) and he was afraid the buckmight get aggressive if he actually winded him.

I guess I'd say use it when you think you need it.

Spud

Predator26 08-13-2008 08:50 PM

Hunting is such a business market it's ridiculous. First Scent-Lok and now ghillie suits....

First of all, pre-made ghillies are a waste of money. If you really want to wear a ghillie suit make it yourself, so you can actually match it to your AO. Also, there's no point in wearing a ghillie unless you are going to be in the prone position most of the time. If you walking around there just going to enalrge your profile and make you more obvious.

The reason military snipers use ghillie suits is because they NEED to be invisible, and they're trained on the creation and proper use of ghillie suits. You, like most other hunters are not.

The most important thing to stay visual undetected while hunting is to be quiet and slow.