Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Ghillie Or No Ghillie!

Old 08-16-2008, 11:41 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ghillie Or No Ghillie!

A buddy said one worked well for him on an African spot-and-stalk bowhunt.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:50 PM

Camo is for hunters, and has little if nothing to do with an animal spotting you. Hunters enjoy getting dressed up in camo and the self-confidence boost it gives them feeling like they are "invisible". Other than that, it has little practicle value. I dress up also, i guess it is just expected, but i am much more concerned with my movement than with the latest 'must-have' camo git up. I have been and always will be a function over form kind of hunter. I like multiple useful pockets, warmth, confort etc. How the camo looks is the least of my concerns. I remeber a few years ago a buddy and I making a long climb out of a canyon over a ridge and on to a logging road. As we walked down the road their was some dude in a Ghillie suit. As we approached we could smell the cow urine he liberally sprayed all over his suit. we talked with him briefly and he said he was stalking some bulls he heard in the canyon, we related that it was us down there much to his sheepish disappointment.As we walked away we couldn't help but chuckle to ourselves. I wear tennis shoes when bowhunting elk, and for those who also bowhunt elk they know why i do. I cannot imagine running up the mountain trying to get in front of a bull wearing a Ghillie suit, it is a comical thought.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

The last thing I'd do is "spary myself to smell like a cow", because I can't count the times that I've been able to smell'em before I could see'em, and if I smell like 'em, I sure as heck won't be able to do that. As has been said, the gillie is not a spot and stalk product. And, IMO, it's more useful whilecalling predators than it is an animal on the hoof, especially when you're calling the animal to you, and when it comes, it's looking for you.