Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

First Elk Trip....

Old 08-06-2008, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Elk Trip....

I shipped 220lbs of meat as baggage, cost me $320, this did NOT include cape and rack. It included my bow, and everything I went out there with (1 checked bag, plus carryon). I ups shipped boots, clothes etc, plus the rack seperate. I had 4 boxes of meat at 50 lbs, plus some shoved in my carry on.

As for getting in shape, I've hunted idaho 3 times, for some strange reason they didn't put any flat/level land in Idaho, you will either be walking up hill or downhill, seems you're never on flat land! I hunted area 8A and 10, altitude was not a problem as we were around 3000-4000 feet.

Depending on where you go altitude will take a few days to adjust, plan on it if its an issue.

Who are you hunting with?
Old 08-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

Be sure to have good gear. Lay out your clothing and leave half of it at home ! Most guided hunts limit you to 50lbs of gear in addition to your bow, but check with your guide.

It takes a few trips to realize what you DON'T need.

My advise..have a great pair of boots, a good backpack that does not pull on your shoulders, and good quality clothing ! You have to be out there to be successful. If your feet hurt, or your shoulders ache from a poor cheap pack, your shoots will not be 100%. If your soaking wet and its cold, you day will be cut short guaranteed. You pay a good premium to be there. Do take along some duct tape as if you do get a blister, wrap your feet in duct tape, then put your sock over it. That will help eliminate your blisters from getting worse (that is an old mountaineering tip)

Good Luck
Old 08-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Spike

We were on a self guided hunt with some guys that have hunted this area for years. A lot of people say, ah you will be used toit in a couple days, well I didn't. The air felt so heavy to me out there, my chest was tight all the time. Even when weweren't in the mountains, it was at least 8000ft I think. I don't think you can train for that, you just have to acclamate to it after a while.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

The main thing to prepare for and remember is to "Have fun". Don't let the prep work, and the logistics take away from the experience.
The more planning you can do ahead of time the more enjoyable your hunt will be, but don't take it to the extreme that it makes you not want to take another trip.
Early season in Idaho, be prepared for big temperature swings, depending on the weather, time of day, and elevation temps can vary from the 20's to the 90's. Break in your boots ahead of time, get exercise, and trim your waist line so your not packing that as extra weight also. Talk with your guide and follow his recommendations for gear, then add the little individual things you like or need to have with you. Your guide will also be able to advise you about meat and trophy shipping and packing.
Good luck, and have a great hunt, enjoy the scenery, and don't put too much pressure on yourself to where you can't stop to smell the flowers. The taking of an elk will depend more on your guide, luck, and you hitting your mark, than anything else.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

[ul][*]Get yourself in the best shape of your life, especially you legs.[*]Start drinking extra water as soon as you start getting into the mountains (even while driving). If you start getting headaches, you probably under hydrating.[*]Have enough and the right equipment with you that'll keep you safe and alive and able to get out of backcountry, should you have to make it out on your own. (e.g. firestarter, emergency thermal blanket, high energy snacks, good sharp hunting knife, good length of strong rope, collapsible saw, water and/or way to make drinkable water, compass and GPS)[*]You're also likely going to be in Grizzlie and Mtn. Lion country in Idaho. Have repellent and/or sidearm, if legal to stop such a chance encounter).[*]Once your there and hunting put the thoughts of "how am I going to get the meat, antlers, etc. out" out of your mind completely. Put all into safely spotting, stalking and putting your shot on the Elk and you getting out safely.[*]Elk, especially in any numbers, can be the toughest game animals to get up on, especially bow hunting. Many eyes, ears and especially noses can bust you in a moment when the wind swirls or changes direction in the mtns. If your not down wind on them, you don't have a chance.[*]Have a great hunt and come back home safe. Those are the most important things to remember![/ul]
If you do all that, I'm sure you'll have a successful, fun time and will be back.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm about to go on my first true elk hunt where I actually expect to have a chance at shooting an elk next month as well. I hunted elk with my dad in Montana growing up a few times but thinking back on it in retrospect we basically carried our rifles through the mountains, we didn't really have much of a chance at shooting an elk the way we were hunting.

I consider myself to be in decent shape and normally can walk 10 to 15 miles in a day with some decent ups and downs without much problem. 3 weeks ago I was in Montana on vacation and did a measly 10 mile round trip hike but started at 5,600' and ended at 9,100' just 5 miles away. Quite the climb with a 30lb pack and I wasn't carrying a rifle. I thought I was going to have a heart attack those last 2,100'!!

I've been working out 5 times a week since then getting ready for my upcoming elk hunt in Wyoming. Thankfully the area we are planning on hunting in tops out at 7,400' so that will help some also. I'm up to running 4 miles each day and plan on getting to 6 miles before I leave. We also have an elliptical machine and I have it set to the hill climb excercise and I think that is the closest thing to actually hiking uphill that you can get. Of course the elevation won't be the same but it seems to work out the thigh musclesabout the same as actually climbing a hill.

The tip on shipping home your hunting boots, clothes and other non-essential items via UPS and hauling as much meat in your baggage as you can is a good one also. I'll be driving so I'm glad I don't have to worry about that. That problem is a good one to have though as that means your hunt was successful. I would advise though that you do somewhat keep the haul out in the back of your mind as you are hunting. If that awesome 6x6 or even 5x5 steps out you pull the trigger on it regardless, but it becomes a lot easier to pass on a raghorn when you think about the fact that you will have to pack it out 4 or 5 miles on your back!

That's my 2 cents, probably not worth that much though!

Nathan