Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What to hunt next?

Old 08-03-2008, 07:52 AM

Default What to hunt next?

I made up my mind to not spend my time and money in 2009 hunting whitetails .I have 12 mounted on the walls now and a tag for illinios this fall ,plus tags in montana.I do all my hunts [DIY]and I'm looking for a new mount to add to the game room.I have 4 bears ,2 bull elk .a caribou,moose, pronehorn,mulies,turkeys.What animal do I hunt next? I am looking for something I can hunt on my own ,that will not cost me an arm and leg.I would like to hear all suggestions .

[/align]
Old 08-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What to hunt next?

couse deer or javalina are about the only two species that I can think of that you could DIY, without hoping for a coveted loto tag for one of the sheep species.
OR possibly try to hunt a larger representative of one of the species that you already have. Maybe set a goal of a 350" elk, or no elk. Or set a goal for a 65" moose, etc.
You've got a heck of a trophy room already, sounds like, so at this point, it's time to start upping your size minimum. Of course, as far as I know you already have a 400" elk, a 65" moose, an 80" antelope, a 30" mulie, etc.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

From waht I hear, I'd be an extremely hard hunt with low odds of success rate, but maybe you should consider one of those unlimited permits for bighorn in MT.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:58 PM

That couse deer sounds like a nice hunt and trophy and I never been to the south west.I would rather hunt something different then shoot a larger one that I already have. I'm not ready to start that sheep addictionthing yet .My next dream hunt will be a montain goat.I have seen and photo plenty while elk hunting but can't draw a tag .I got to hunt something every year ,I can't waste my life away hoping to draw a tag.

[/align]
Old 08-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

0306- how about a big CAT,then get a full body mount that would be awesome.And buy the way did you get all those animales with a bow or gun?
Old 08-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

Certainly the DIY limits you a bit. Sheep and goats come to mind. But what about Blacktails or switching species of Elk. If DIY and cost weren't of issue I'd go to New Zealand!
Bill
Old 08-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd start looking at going to other countries like Africa, Argentina, New Zeland, etc...
Old 08-03-2008, 10:14 PM

I quess I should have said ,I was a poor carpet installer and the moose cost me 2 years working every other weekend with out a vacation to cover the total cost of the tripe of $3,000 .That's the most I ever spent on a hunt,but it wasworth it. At this age of 47 I can't go two years with out a vacation.I guess I'm just looking for some short term goals till I go on that goat hunt.

[/align]
Old 08-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bighorn or a Mountain Goat would be my choice. Dall Sheep would be my first pick but that's neither cheap nor DIY.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

How about a Tundra Swan hunt? All DIY and the tag is easy to get. A mounted adult swan is a nice addition to any trophy room and one that is not in most. It is not big game of course but it also isn't pricey and it is fun.

Nemont

Quick Reply: What to hunt next?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.