Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Are bigger cartridges really better? >

Are bigger cartridges really better?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Are bigger cartridges really better?

Old 07-27-2008, 01:30 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Are bigger cartridges really better?

ColoradoElk,

Your challenge appears to be going unanswered.
That was quite the write up on Phil.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just like any other tool, Big works better in some cases and small works better in some. Match the tool to the job and you will do fine. As we all know, the 30-06 has killed every species of game on earth and is a good place to start. Keep in mind that legal issues might determine what you use in some places. For all of North America something like the 270/30/06 and a 375 H&H/Ruger would cover the big game end very well. For one gun, maybe the 300 WM.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

Hello there everyone (and EKM).

A reply would have been interesting but unneccesary. Although not atop tenof mine, if a fellow wants to shoot an '06, they have made an acceptable choice. Composing fiction and attributing it to one of the "been there, done that" guys that makeshis living (and reputation) guiding/protectingclients is not acceptable.

I did draw an ES tag for the 1st. Ironically, DOW is doing such a excellent job promoting elk habitat, there are TWO leftover cow tagsfor that season. I put two steers in the freezer this year, but beef is no substitute... Meat vs. Antlers, think I'll take the meat. As a sidenote, why were they FEEDING the deer in Gunnison and now lining up to shoot the elk in Estes???

Ironically, I completed another lot of 285 gr Speer GS, 375 Ruger for the 1st season. I fired 23 shots on Saturday and the stock split on me. I am thinking of calling McMillan in the morning and see what they can do. Anyone have ideas? If I can't get the 375 repaired in about 8 weeks, I will have to go back to the 416. That 375 Ruger is a phenominal cartridge and has become my favorite. Anyone that might have a worn out '06 should rebarrel. I was going to go bunny jumping at Pawnee for preparation, but that isn't going to happen.

For all that drew/are huntingthis year, good luck and be safe.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bummer about the cracked stock. Hope you get a satisfactory response from McMillon.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

Hello James:

The cracked stock was not a McMillan product, but was the original stock installed by Ruger. McMillan has a lifetime warranty on their products, except for the Edge Model, which is what I was hoping to get. They will only warranty that stock up to .338 and the model they have won't fit the Ruger action. I think the .375 Ruger is a great cartridge, it is just unfortunate that for theprice it will cost for McMillan toinstall a real stock, Icould buy another Hawkeye...
Old 08-04-2008, 07:31 AM
DM

I always get a kick out of the answers to these kinds of questions...

ItALWAYS comes around to bears, and then you can just hear the quiver in the voicesof the posters answers, then there knee's start shaking so bad my puter screen starts moving around on my desk when i read them...

A 'properly loaded" 30-06 (200 NP's) will break both shoulders of any bear alive, and a high shoulder shot will damage the spinal cord, anchoring the bear...

A 7 Rem. mag. loaded with 175 NP's is even bigger medicine, so don't tell me you need 30 cal. on up for big bears...

This 7 mag. combo will out penetrate a 458 Win mag. loaded with factory soft points.. It will also out penetrate a 375 H&H, 270 grainers...

How do i know these things??? Because i've used and seen them used, yes even on big bears...

I can't see where a "magnum" out shines any decent std. cartridge that's "properly loaded", at any decent range...

Through my many years of wondering all over Alaska hunting big game, i've found it's much MORE important to use the proper bullet construction, than worry about what case is behind it. (i'm talking 06 size on up here)

BTW, anyone who "thinks" a 340 wby. doesn't recoil more than a 300 Win. Mag., needs to try again, with BOTH cartridges chambered in the exact same style/weight rifle... Both with similar SD bullets...

DM
Old 08-05-2008, 12:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well said DM
Old 08-05-2008, 07:12 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

"....A 7 Rem. mag. loaded with 175 NP's is even bigger medicine...."
"....This 7 mag. combo will out penetrate a 458 Win mag. loaded with factory soft points..
and then....
"....I can't see where a "magnum" out shines any decent std. cartridge that's "properly loaded", at any decent range...
Magnums, it seems that even the people who want to hate them have a hard time not praising them.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:36 AM
DM

ORIGINAL: EKM

"....A 7 Rem. mag. loaded with 175 NP's is even bigger medicine...."
"....This 7 mag. combo will out penetrate a 458 Win mag. loaded with factory soft points..
and then....
"....I can't see where a "magnum" out shines any decent std. cartridge that's "properly loaded", at any decent range...
Magnums, it seems that even the people who want to hate them have a hard time not praising them.
Hey EKM,

If you think i hate magnums, then you aren't paying attention to my post much... Just because something isn't needed, doesn't mean it's hated.

BTW, a properly loaded 340 Wby. is bigger medicine yet, as is a 378Wby... That doesn't mean the 30-06 isn't enough... I don't need to drive to town in a semi to get there... Do you get the anology?

DM
Old 08-06-2008, 07:48 AM

ORIGINAL: ColoradoElk

Hello James:

The cracked stock was not a McMillan product, but was the original stock installed by Ruger. McMillan has a lifetime warranty on their products, except for the Edge Model, which is what I was hoping to get. They will only warranty that stock up to .338 and the model they have won't fit the Ruger action. I think the .375 Ruger is a great cartridge, it is just unfortunate that for theprice it will cost for McMillan toinstall a real stock, Icould buy another Hawkeye...
Ever thought about a Laminate. They're heavier but sure can take abuse. Boyd's has laminates that are very reasonable.

Quick Reply: Are bigger cartridges really better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.