Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Are bigger cartridges really better? >

Are bigger cartridges really better?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Are bigger cartridges really better?

Old 07-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Are bigger cartridges really better?

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg

rather be huntin; Perhaps I overstated my philosophy a little, but I still think it is a valid point. If you can get a rifle to penetrate deep enough to the vitals or through the animal it will get the job done, and for the most part that does not require a magnum. Again though, if you or anyone else wants to shoota magnum what do I care.
The only argument that I was trying to make in my first post on page one (pictures in the links) is that using a smaller rifle cartridge (I still can't say caliber because powder matters too)with greatshot placement will do the job. You'll be fine. But if you hit the shoulder blade or something heavy like that which is a big possibility under hunting conditions (it's not bench shooting), the bullet will fragment and not penetrate and leave you with a very long tracking job. This bull was shot in the shoulder and not found by the person that shot him. Who knows what cartridge this person was using but is a perfect example why my opinion is what it is. A shoulder shot when using a bigger cartridge should not result in this. Notice how the shoulder blade is constructed with a "ridgeline" of bone that makes certain parts of the bone very thick and heavy.

Arrows kill differently and work differently so I'm still having a hard time drawing a line between the two. Beside like someone else said if a bear is charging you then and all you have is a stick and a string, your middle name just became "lunch".
Old 07-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

ColoraoElk, read some aticles written by Mr. Shoemaker and also John Barsness.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:45 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Over on AR, Phil has sung the praises of the 458WinMag even telling how he has taken caribou at 350 yards with it.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you have hunted very long at all, you have made a marginal shot. On a marginal shot the advantage goes to larger calibers and magnums EVERY SINGLE TIME!
Old 07-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg

Why?
Power to penetrate bone,tuff tissue and muscle. Of course, if all of your shots have always been perfect, and all your future shot placements are going to be perfect, no need. I don't have a problem with people that don't use them, but I do understand those that do! Me being one of them.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: 270 bdl

ColoraoElk, read some aticles written by Mr. Shoemaker and also John Barsness.

Phil is holding the 458 and the Rigby.

The article referenced was written by Phil.

Also, based on review of his article, please provide the link to substantiate your statement:

An Alaskan guide named Shoemaker uses an '06 with 200 or 220 gr. bullets on the big bears. He says it works as well as anything.

I think you made that up.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure I can agree with you, but thats the way it is I guess. I just happen to think that even on marginal shots non magnum calibers can and do perform well. Heck I have made marginal shots on game (pretty sure everyone has), and they worked fine. How much is too much?
Like I said before though, if you want to use one what do I care. Do what you do and have fun doing it.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'm not an expert on ballistics but i believe a .30-06 will break both front shoulders of any north american game animal when shot square in the shoulder. maybe not at 400 yards but most hunters don't shoot that far anyway. if hunting big bears over bait, your shot is going to be within 40 yards anyway not 400 yards. i'm not trying to argue, just post some of my observations.

i use to be a "bigger is better" kinda hunter, that is why i own a Wby .300 Mag. i bought it several years ago and hunted faithfully with it. i'll never sell any of my guns that's why i still have it. i haven't hunted with it since i realized i don't need it for what i hunt. i bought a .25-06 last year to hunt with and believe that was the best hunting decision i ever made.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

i'm not an expert on ballistics but i believe a .30-06 will break both front shoulders of any north american game animal when shot square in the shoulder. maybe not at 400 yards but most hunters don't shoot that far anyway. if hunting big bears over bait, your shot is going to be within 40 yards anyway not 400 yards. i'm not trying to argue, just post some of my observations.

i use to be a "bigger is better" kinda hunter, that is why i own a Wby .300 Mag. i bought it several years ago and hunted faithfully with it. i'll never sell any of my guns that's why i still have it. i haven't hunted with it since i realized i don't need it for what i hunt. i bought a .25-06 last year to hunt with and believe that was the best hunting decision i ever made.
This is why when I started building my battery, the only magnum that I have is a 270 WSM. For Deer sized game I can go to the 257 Roberts, 6.5x55, 270 WSM, 30-06 for larger game 30-06 and 35 Whelen. If I ever had the opportunity to go to Africa I can address that need then Most likely with a 375 H&H or Ruger. Sure dead is dead and the animal won't know the difference but you don't want to go undergunned either. There are so many choices out there these days and with new technology and bullet construction making smaller lighter projectiles perform to higher levels. I say to each their own. I'll stick with the 06 based cases and not need to look back.

Quick Reply: Are bigger cartridges really better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.