Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Are bigger cartridges really better? >

Are bigger cartridges really better?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Are bigger cartridges really better?

Old 07-22-2008, 05:49 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Are bigger cartridges really better?

When you actually get your money together,
and actually go on your grizzly hunt,
let us know what rifle you actually took.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

a .30-06 will take ANYTHING on this earth with no trouble. President Roosevelt, when he was alive, shot bull elephants with a .30-06. last time i checked elephants were slightly larger than any north american game animal.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

In my opinion, I would go with the largest cartridge you can shoot and still be comfortable and accurate. If you can handle a .375 then use it. If not then go with a smaller cartridge.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg

From my point of view though if a person can kill one with a bow and arrow, then pretty much any rifle will do.
Uuuummmmmmmmm........I see what you're trying to say there but you're not comparing apples to apples. An arrow and a bullet kill in different manners so you can't bring a bow and arrow to a gun fight.

Arrows kill by hemorrhaging and bullets kill by trama. (Although granted they do sometimeskill by hemorrhaging if the trama doesn't work) But just not the same. I certainly would not agree that because an arrow is effective that any old rifle cartridge will do.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rather_be_huntin

From my point of view though if a person can kill one with a bow and arrow, then pretty much any rifle will do.
Uuuummmmmmmmm........I see what you're trying to say there but you're not comparing apples to apples. An arrow and a bullet kill in different manners so you can't bring a bow and arrow to a gun fight.

Arrows kill by hemorrhaging and bullets kill by trama. (Although granted they do sometimeskill by hemorrhaging if the trama doesn't work) But just not the same. I certainly would not agree that because an arrow is effective that any old rifle cartridge will do.
I agree when an arrow enters an animals body it usually cuts a wound channel at least 1 inch in diameter. Where as a small caliber bullet may leave a wound channel 1/2 in diameter but relies on the destructive force of the bullets velocity and extreme energy delivery to kill an animal.

So can you kill a large animal with a small caliber weapon? Yes. Can a larger caliber weapon kill more "efficiently"? Yes. If you don't believe me go out and shoot two 90 lbs. does, one with a .223 one with a 50 bmg and compare the two. Both just as dead as the other but the one shot with the 50 was killed more "efficiently" though not for the table.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

...for me I'd rather drive a 455 TransAmthan a boltswagon. There aint no substitute for cubic inches, horsepower, or grains of powder.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

EKM; If you are directing your response towards me.....then I have taken several with my 30-06.

rather be huntin; Perhaps I overstated my philosophy a little, but I still think it is a valid point. If you can get a rifle to penetrate deep enough to the vitals or through the animal it will get the job done, and for the most part that does not require a magnum. Again though, if you or anyone else wants to shoota magnum what do I care.

ruger m77.270; I'm not sure Ientirely agree with your killing more efficiently philosophy unless you takeit to an extreme.For instance, while I have never shot a deer with a .223, I have taken several with a .243, and a 30-06. The farthest any have gone with either caliber is 20 yards. Most with both calibers have dropped where they are at. Undoubtedly the 30-06 has more power, but I don't think it killed any of those deer any more efficiently than the .243.

silvertip; .......1955 Crown Victoria bored to 510 pushing 780hp without nitrous.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

ORIGINAL: rather_be_huntin

I agree when an arrow enters an animals body it usually cuts a wound channel at least 1 inch in diameter. Where as a small caliber bullet may leave a wound channel 1/2 in diameter but relies on the destructive force of the bullets velocity and extreme energy delivery to kill an animal.

So can you kill a large animal with a small caliber weapon? Yes. Can a larger caliber weapon kill more "efficiently"? Yes. If you don't believe me go out and shoot two 90 lbs. does, one with a .223 one with a 50 bmg and compare the two. Both just as dead as the other but the one shot with the 50 was killed more "efficiently" though not for the table.
Yeah...I think the difference here would be he isn't talking about shooting a 90lb deer. If it's all the same to you fellars, I wouldn't want my back up pardner to be carring his Matthews with some sick slick tricks either, no matter how ultimately deadly that combo may be.
Dead is dead, ok. And if hunting an animal capable of killing me, I am sure my family would take solace in the fact that the grizz that killed me died soon after due to my having placed my .223 bullet in the proper place.

Just for my own use, I would go big. Unlike most that post on this site, I am not Dirty Harry/John Wayne and my ability to always place the bullet exactly where it needs to be can be compromised by a multitude of factors, not the least of which is finding myself on the receiving end of BEAR CHARGE. The elements, lack of a bench or sand bags, exertion....all play in to the "field conditions" shot.
No, I wish I was immune to all these things like so many here are, but alas, I am just a nerve addled, mere mortal,hunter trying to harvest an animal and doing my best not to be harvested.
Hope my betters out there will allow me my compensation and not think to little of me? I have no desire to hunt grizz, but if I did, my decision would be whether to take my 338RUM or get something bigger!!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

An Alaskan guide named Shoemaker uses an '06 with 200 or 220 gr. bullets on the big bears. He says it works as well as anything.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: 270 bdl

An Alaskan guide named Shoemaker uses an '06 with 200 or 220 gr. bullets on the big bears. He says it works as well as anything.
Did you just make that up? Mr. Shoemaker uses the screename "458WIN" for a reason.

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/article.cfm?tocid=1043&magid=75

Quick Reply: Are bigger cartridges really better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.