Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Elk rack shipping, flying.. >

Elk rack shipping, flying..

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk rack shipping, flying..

Old 08-06-2008, 07:38 AM

Default RE: Elk rack shipping, flying..

ORIGINAL: Bob H in NH

I shipped an elk rack via ups, they put it in a big box (skull was split), I tossed in lots of clothes and my boots and other stuff and shipped it. Showed up at my house just fine.
I shipped mine whole. I cut pieces of garden hose approx. 6" long and placed them over the tips of the points (12 pieces of hose) Shrink wrappedthe whole thingand put FRAGILE stickers all over it. and shipped. The UPS clerk told me they do it that way all the time. I was nervous but it showed up unharmed. OBTW I purchased $5000 worth of insurance as well. If I remember correctly the insurance cost me $20.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

bob, any problem/issue putting skull back together for the mount? not sure why my tax man made that an issue, certainly don't expect a B&C trophy.that would simplify size of box inevent we get a nice bull. let me know on skullpatchwork... thx
Old 08-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Dominant Buck

My bull from last year had a split rack but not by design. I shot the bull high in the neck and the shock fractured his skull. When I cut out the skull cap I noticed that the cap was cracked and took care to keep it in one piece. We have a 3 day ride home and packed the truck with my rack inside another larger rack rack (we went 2 for 3) and had them in the back of the truck. somewhere on the trip a large duffle shifted and fell down and landed on my rack. When we got home mine was in 2 pieces. No problem I just used some gorilla glue and put the 2 pieces right back together and clamped them that way. The glue dried and the rack looks just like it did when i put it in the truck. The meat was all frozen when we left and 3 days later it was still frozen. We pack them with a small amount of dry ice.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: maritime363

bob, any problem/issue putting skull back together for the mount? not sure why my tax man made that an issue, certainly don't expect a B&C trophy.that would simplify size of box inevent we get a nice bull. let me know on skullpatchwork... thx
No problem at all, the outfitter cut the skull in a "V" so it was easy to piece back together, taxidermist said it was fine. Looks great.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:16 PM

My taxidermist said he had a heck of a time mountig the split skull on that moose.He said next time [I wish] he would pay for the oversized box,but I think he just likes to rag on his favorite customer.By the way it looks great on the wall.

[/align]
Old 08-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

where did you get your bull. I took one in Jackman maine in 99, only 42" but big palms, very symetrical-- didnt need to ship or fly, just drive it home on a trailer... thanks again.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:36 PM

Alaska unit 17, I took an air taxi out of dillingham. I'll see if I can post a photo again.

[/align]
Old 08-06-2008, 05:52 PM

58''
Old 08-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

very nice animal. you have a look of part relief, awe and.. man, I havea lot of workahead of me. that stuff looked pretty thick. thanks for sharing.Alaska is on my list after WY thisfall. I amstarting to look into the various areas, etc. Trying to decide between Dall and Bear...
Old 08-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

OK here is what I do and it usually helps when you have more than one going to camp

ON THE WAY OUT : Most airlines let you check two bags and take a carry on with one personal item. For my checked bags, I check my bow case (which has all my calls in a zip lock bag)and a cooler which is duct taped shut that has all my hunting clothes & boots in a garbage bag along with a roll of duct tape. If they open the cooler to inspect it, they will re tape it shut. My personal item is my video cam along with the GPS, small pocket camera, and Rangefinder. I utilize my Badlands 2200 as my carry on which holds my bino's and other personal items.

Now if others also do this you will have more than one cooler. Usually two coolers will bring back one elk that has been cut and wrapped.

ON THE WAY BACK : Now where we go, there is a place in town (and you have to check around first) that build custom boxes for shipping. Check with the meat lockers or the local taxidermist as they ship alot of large items and would know of these places in your area. If we do get an elk, what I do is go to a local hardware and buy some garden hose. Cut the hose to fit over the tips of the antlers and tape them on there. This will protect the tips. Then I take the horns to a local shipping house and ship my horns and my clothes in one box home...keep in mind, don't just use your clothes as packing, you will need more than that. Personally we utilize Fed Ex as it there rates are less than that of UPS, and like UPS, have the ability to track the packages. Then I pick up my meat and fill my coolers and check that as my luggage. Keep in mind, the meat must be frozen as airlines will not allow you to use dry ice. With my dad always going this gives us two coolers out. If you need an additional cooler, then you can ship your bow back, and buy another cooler to pack. Keep in mind that usually an cut, deboned, and frozen will fill 3 coolers. So this year with only two of us, I may still have an extra baggage fee. However, to me, its important that I get my meat home first....gotta have a good steak while waiting for everything else

Last year I did ship back my bow, anters and clothes and the cost was about $100, way less than the airlines charging me an additional $300(extra coolers & antlers).

Keep in mind that most airlines are charging for $25 for your second bag regardless of weight. If it is over 50lbs, that is an additional $50 and the third bag may be as high as $125 ! I do know that United Airlines is charging $15 for the first bag, and $25 for the second.

Hopefully you found this somewhat useful and good luck to all this season !!!! Lets hear those elk huntin' stories

Quick Reply: Elk rack shipping, flying..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.