Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

hunting alone?

Old 07-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting alone?

i guess my biggest concerns are falling and breaking a leg and not being able to get help, and getting my animal down and back out to camp before a bunch of wolves or coyotes get to it.
This should not be a concern that keeps anyone from hunting alone. As a hunter, you should plan on being successful, and in that regard, I carry a 4 pack of meat bags and some rope. Now, when the animal is down, first thing first, quarter it up and hang it high enough from a tree limb to keep animals from getting it, and the meat begins to cool. This works great and buys you time to get the meat "out" without worrying too much about spoilage. Obviously, if it's hot during the day time, and not cooling down very well at night, then you still need to hussle to get all the meat out before spoilage. BUT meat hung from a tree, in shade,will buy you a lot of time.

I hunt alone a lot every year, weather it be for elk, deer, or coyotes. My wife has gotten used to and understands that I carry survival gear including matches/space blanket/filtered water bottle/food/gps. The idea of being out in the woods for a night, or two, doesn't bother me one bit!
Old 07-15-2008, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

I had always hunted alone in the East and seldomn hunted more than a couple miles from the truck. I never thought twice about it. Last November, I hunted in Colorado for the first time. I was alone but well prepared in terms of equipment. I remember being 5 hours into the back country at 9500 ft. I was huffing for air, my back and knees were killing me from the additional 45 lbs of gear. I remember thinking I'd be screwed if some bad happened. I also knew I was in couger country.

Looking back on the whole experience.... I can't wait to do it again! It was the greatest experience of my life!
Old 07-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

howler your right i will hang the quarters in the tree if i need to make more than one trip. my main concern with the wolves is having them move in while i am still gutting my animal and getting the quarters in the tree.the area i hunt has gotten to the point that a gun shot is like a dinner bell.

i guess my reason for being concerned about injury is i am planning on an 11 day hunt. and in 11 days i will cover a lot of ground. my dad knows the area i hunt extremely well and we think so much alike that i have no doubt he would find meon the off chance that something should happen. the only problem is it could be days laying out there on the ground before they would even know to start looking for me.

honestly myself iam not all that worried about hunting alone for any length of time but that doesnt help ease the fears of the family back home.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:40 PM
neb
Typical Buck

I hunt along all the time but do enjoy hunting with my son. I will never hunt with anyone else. When I head to the breaks and any where to hunt I show my wife where I will be on the map. I do feel this is a good thing to do just in case something went wrong.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:45 PM
neb
Typical Buck

One more thing if you ever have hunted out west or wilderness areas you never leave camp without leaving a note in the tent where you are going to be hunting. Date and drainage you will be in etc.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I generally go hunting alone just because there are not too many people that I know that like my style of hunting. I let the wife know the area that I am going to, and she knows enough to know that I wander a bit.
To be quite honest I feel safer in the woods than I do going back and forth to work.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: neb

One more thing if you ever have hunted out west or wilderness areas you never leave camp without leaving a note in the tent where you are going to be hunting. Date and drainage you will be in etc.

now this is a new one for me. i have lived and hunted in idaho all my life and i have never even thought of leaving a note in camp and i dont know anybody who does. it might be a good idea if you were expecting to have someone meet you in camp later on, that way if you didnt come back to camp they could go out looking for you sooner.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:36 PM
neb
Typical Buck

We just always leave a note the area we are in. It is just a good thing because you never know of a storm that comes up or something just happens. The law would at least have an idea which way to go.