HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Taste of antelope (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/25232-taste-antelope.html)

arrow chuker 03-03-2003 07:10 PM

Taste of antelope

I was wondering what antelope taste like. I love most wild meats just never had pronghorn. Is it compareable to deer.

bob d 03-03-2003 07:35 PM

RE: Taste of antelope

never had any but others have told me it tastes just like chicken.lol

skeeter 7MM 03-03-2003 08:12 PM

Antelope is one of my favorite tasting big game animals. I have heard some say the taste like sage or strong, but all mine have tasted very good. I think a lot has to be said about field dressing, care after the shot and butchering in all biggame animals.

1eyedfish 03-03-2003 08:55 PM

Think there good too.:D
have eatin quit a bit...some do say it tastes like sage but i never noticed that either.

Forgot in another post about mtn goats& big horn sheep...i had said i never eatin a wild goat

Forget /Forgot they where goats lops lol

WESTANER 03-03-2003 10:09 PM

Speed goats taste better if you shoot em while there calm. If you shoot and miss or wound one the adrenaline rushes into the meat makeing it taste gamey or stong.
If it does taste stong turn it all into sausage.

handloader1 03-03-2003 10:26 PM

Antelope is very good tasting!! My favorite is to feast on the heart, liver, garlic, and onions to celebrate the kill. Good luck.

DreaminBoutElk 03-04-2003 03:22 PM

If you get some strong meat, I found a trick to mellow it significantly. Pack the meat in ice so that it is fully surrounded on all sides. Make sure that all of the melt water can drain away completely and NEVER let the water touch the meat. Keep adding ice as needed to keep the meat suspended. I do this for a few hours and the meat comes out perfectly. Same trick works for deer venison too. My wife doesn' t like gamey venison so I tone it down for her this way.
Be careful about getting your women folk to much of a taste for wild game though..they' ll eat up all your meat!!!!!!!

arrow chuker 03-04-2003 04:58 PM

Thanks for the input. My wife and little girl loves deer meat we eat it at least twice a week.

AceHand 03-04-2003 06:21 PM

We get a couple of antlergoats every year. Really like it. I explained my procedure of soaking in the cooking forum under soaking game or something like that. Antelope sometimes has an odor to it, that certain people can detect. Seems that if they haven' t been told that it has an odor, they don' t notice it. Perhaps they' ve eaten one which was not harvested or processed properly, THEN, there will be a definate odor, and the thought of it probably lasts a lifetime! lol. I wouldn' t recommend having someone else process it for you. I' m sure there are many good game processors out there, but I always do my own wild game. Happy eatin' !

PaJack 03-05-2003 07:10 AM

Everyone has different taste,I ended up giveing most of mine away....[X(]