Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Taste of antelope

Old 03-05-2003, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Taste of antelope

People are too persnickity ' bout what they eat. Odor, wild taste, all thet garbage. Hell, I' ve et coon an' didn' t know it taste bad til sumbody tolt me so. Ain' t everthin' ' sposed to smell like beef or taste like chicken. The best cheese I ever had was aged in horse hooey. Them italians sure know how to eat. Cain' t make a gun worth a heck, but their cheese is ' bout the best goin' . How ' bout some prarie goat spaghetti topped with some horse crap cheese? Wash ' er down with some proper moose juice (50% moosehead beer, 50% grain alchohol) an' you' ll be surprised what you might eat for desert!
Old 03-05-2003, 06:12 PM

Dreaminboutelk has let out some good info it works i have been using this whenever i could get to ice. It will certainly get the meat tasty enuf for anyone. Antelope is good, never ate a bad piece of dead animal flesh.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:01 AM
Typical Buck

AceHand; " antlergoats" what an odd thing to call a pronghorn. They do not have antlers and they are not goats.

I like antelope about the best of all wild game. Bighorn sheep is maybe tied for top choice. And a good thick steak off a cow elk is sure hard to beat. But then my family eats lots of wild game (and other critters) and we like it all.

Robin
Old 03-06-2003, 05:43 PM

actually they are prairie goats. my antelope went way too fast, ate him up in 3 weeks. i still have a hip bone in the freezer for the dog. HOPE I GET DRAWN THIS YEAR.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:32 PM

Duffy, I am aware of that. But, antelope, antlergoat, they sound sort of similar don' t they? You want to talk about sounding odd...whadda ya think about BeaverJack! lol! No offense BJ. Sorry if I wasn' t anatomically correct. Besides, sounds better than range maggots!
Like I said, we get a couple every year. Like it a lot. My favorite though, was my first moose. Young, melt-in-your-mouth tender, mmmmmm!
Old 03-09-2003, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

Hmmmmmmmm! your favorite is " moose" . Now that sounds kind of like " goose" so is that what you mean? Or down in your neck of the woods do you call elk or mule deer " moose" , the way some of you call pronghorn antelope " goats" ?

" Range maggots" , I always thought that is what cattle ranchers called domestic sheep.
Old 03-15-2003, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

But i think antelopes are really goats, they sure arnt antelopes.

In this state we call moose moose & mule deer , mule deer from what i have noticed. + a few other things.

Far as range maggets i think cattles linages go to ethiopia etc.

I heard thye use to live in the mtns/ higher elevations to antilopes long ago.

Whatever ya call im []i like them .

(see some everyday out my back windows/ sometimes walking down the street/ road or in th back yard etc.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:17 AM
Typical Buck

To quote from " BIG GAME OF NORTH AMERICA" (A Wildlife Management Institute Book)

" Pronghorn belong to the family Antilocapridae, indigenous only to North America"

" Early records often referred to the pronghorn as " antelope" a trem handed down through generations, resulting in its common use today. Therefore, the use of " antelope" is acceptable, but pronghorn is the accurate common name for the species.

And....
Mountain goats are " rupicaprines" or goat antelopes. They are related closely to the chamois of Europe but not to any species in North America. Some recent articles incorrectly claim that the mountain goat is a close relative of the pronghorn.

I just like to call things by their accepted names so as to avoid confusion. If a friend told me we were going " goat" hunting and I should bring the decoy, I would want to be sure I brought the right one.

Robin

Old 03-17-2003, 09:59 AM
jjt

prong horns, goats, speed goats, praire goats, antler goats, antelope
these are just the names i can come up with off the top of my head all for the same animal
they might sound funny or wrong to a foreigner but for the people that are around them all of the time they are common names correct or not that is what we call them.
and they all taste great no matter what the name
Old 08-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Spike

Smile preparing and cooking antelope

I have been hunting and eating antelope for 8 years and have found the best process to handle and cook this game. Many people complain that the meat is very gamey. NOT SO if you do it right. First of all a one shot kill is best if you can do it. Carcass preparation is critical in having good tasting meat. I always skin and quarter the animal imediately, keeping urine, dirt and hair off the meat. Put it in a game bag and get to a place where you can de-bone, wash, trim and dry the meat. I then cut it up and place it in two quart zip lock bags and get it on ice, above and below the bags of meat. I strive to get this done within 2 hours of the kill. When I get home--usually within 24 hours, I trim the meat of sinew and connective tissue and remove any further debris or contamanents I may find. I then wrap it in plastic wrap first and then in heavy butcher paper. I had 10 month old back strap last night and it was great. I also usually marinate in a combination of of soy sauce, black pepper, worchestishire and garlic. Cook it fast on the grill at high heat, deep fry or pan fry to medium rare. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Taste of antelope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.