Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

165 gr or 180 gr.?

Old 07-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 165 gr or 180 gr.?

It is a miracle that any one ever killed any game in the history of man kind. Until the advent of super dooper premium bullets.

You did not say whether you could handload or not?? If you do not handload then the on sale factory ammo will do just fine. I prefer a larger bullet(200 grain) in the 30 caliber magnums. But the 165 will do just fine.

I will probably get flamed for saying this, but do not buy into the Kool-Aid with the so called "Premium" bullets. Everyday Sierras and such will do just fine. Let the flames begin. Tom.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:19 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

BBJ,
You're out west and have been around the block and know how this game works.
You know how much your hunt will cost you even as a resident.
I'm betting ammo is a small, small piece.

Personally,
I like the Kool Aid Barnes TSX, I've never seen anything work quite like it, Nosler Partitions otherwise.
God, I hate tracking.

Good choice on the 300 Weatherby BTW.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:24 AM
Typical Buck

180 gr RN or SPBT is all I shoot. Fell for the SST craze one time and after a 2 mile tracking job in thigh deep snow. I trashed them back to basics and the old KISS(Keep it Simple Stupid) method.

Oh yeah Chris Ledoux is still the greatest cowboy singer to ever come along.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

I would go with the 180 grain accubond. The BC is so much better than the 165 grain bullets it actually shoots flatter than any of the 165 grain big game bullets and within an inch at 500 yardsof the flattest165 shown. It does this with a lot less wind drift not to mention higher KE. See the link to compare

http://www.weatherby.com/products/ballistics.asp

I think the 180 accubond is the ticket at long range due to its ability to buck the wind.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was recently reading about weatherby's loads.....

and each of their bullets they load.....mainly the nosler partitions, barnes tsx, and hornady interlock,

was surprised to notice that the hornady maintained as much or more weight than the noslers.....I know noslers tend to dump their weight and energy into the animal and then I guess the rest of the bullet keeps driving?

I was wondering if the cheaper interlocks would do just the same if not better job, since they maintain more weight, the barnes keeping 100% of its weight certainly should drive deep.

But then again it comes down to penetration/pass through, vs dumping its energy in the animal.

I can buy both views....but I can certainly see how the barnes would drive deep with 100% retention but noslers with say 60% vs interlocks with 70% I dont see how one of those would perform better than another, and saving $20 per box may be of interest.

Also I know guys love flatter shooting bullets, but my scopes usually have a ballistic reticle, therefore usually a heavier/more avg bullet tends to line up better with the multiple crosshairs, so I dont always go for flattest/flatter shooting bullets.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

EKM,
Your are right shells are least exspensive but the most important part of the task.Have you dealt with the New Trophy bonded Tip bear claw?I'm thinking of having some of these loaded up for myself.

Elk nutz,
I beg to differ Mr. George Staight is probaly the best counrty singer,but Mr Ledoux was the Greatest story teller there was and probaly a bigger Legend broke the mold after Chris.
BBJ
Old 07-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

I would go with the 180gr.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:02 PM

ORIGINAL: BareBack Jack

Hi guys/gals,
Have a question for you all.I just recently aquired a 300 WBY and now that I have it I'm going to use it as my elk gun.
The questin is wich bullet would be better?The Weatherby brand 165 gr SP or the Hornady 180 gr SP(interlok).
I have used 165's on elk in the past out of the 300 Rum(Federal 165 Nosler Boatails but they have been discontinued.),so I know they will handle the load bestowed on it.
I have used Hornady ammo in the 25-06 and 30-06 and have been pleased with results.
The reason I'm asking is the local gun store has Weatherby brand 165's for sale @ 40.00/box.I would have to drive almost 100 miles to find andything else or order on the net.
What would be your call?
Thanks
BBJ
For that caliber I would go with 180 to 220. For something like my 7mm Rem Mag I would use 160 or 162 grains. The most important thing however is to make sure your new rifle is not too picky about it's diet.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:49 PM

I would clearly go with the 180 grain but use a bullet that maintains shape well. The reason for the 180 is to provide rapid killing o fthe elk. I would recommend Barnes or Nosler as has been suggested above. You want thorough penetration but also need bullet integrity. Would also suggest looking at Craig Boddington excellent book dealing with shot placement (The perfect shot in North America). Placement as suggesyed by Boddington will also help avoid massive tissue destruction. We all think we know where to place a bullet in an animal but few of us have Boddington's massive amount of experience.