HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Pagosa Springs Elk Hunt. Advice needed (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/249584-pagosa-springs-elk-hunt-advice-needed.html)

scott26 06-16-2008 08:04 PM

Pagosa Springs Elk Hunt. Advice needed

Greetings all.

I will be going ELK hunting this year near Pagosa Springs, CO. I am from south Florida and have never seen an elk let alone hunted one.Have done lots of deer hunting and amnot new to the woods. (although this will be verydiffrent I am sure) I will be staying with an uncle who does not hunt. I have been trying to gather information for the past month in preperation. Heres some of what is planned so far (random list) and any further help/suggetsions on any aspect of the hunt would be greatly appreciated.

Gear: 7mm Rem mag with 165 nosler part.
Backup- 308 with 180 nos part.
Lots of heavy camo. Lots of coolers
Handheld GPS with topo
Good knife kit.

I have ordered a trail guide book the the Wenimuche wilderness area that I will be hunting and have been studying Google earth. Unfortunately will have very little time to do any actual scouting due to work/vacation time.

I will bepurchasing an over-the-counter bull tag and will hunt gmu 77 and 78. Will hunt 2nd season Oct 18-26.

Read two books on elk hunting from credible sources.

Have started an exercise routine that includes lots of walking with a heavy pack.

I am real fired up but am also thinking this will be a big task. Again, any advice will be appreciated. Thanks again

Scott

bugs11 06-16-2008 10:56 PM

RE: Pagosa Springs Elk Hunt. Advice needed

Boots. Make sure you have broken in a good pair (or two) of waterproof leather hunting boots.And pack some moleskin or bandages for blisters and such. The weather can go from sunny and 60's to a raging snow storm in a few hours, be prepared.Get in the best shape that you can, the mountains will still kick your tail. Don't drink alcohol, take a couple Advil when you turn in for the night. Take a camera, CO in the autumn is breathtakingly beautiful.

scott26 06-17-2008 06:40 AM

Good advice Bugs thanx. Think I will start walking in the boots I will hunt in.

Scott

Muliefever 06-17-2008 07:36 AM

Scott-
Sounds like you are off to a really good start. The best advice I can give you is to be in shape! I don't always wear big boots either. If you have snow and wet conditions then yes. My Danner's come into play! But I hunt in a good pair of hiking boots. They have made my elk hunting experiences much more enjoyable!

One more thing. I have hunted elk my entire life. And the biggest thing I have learned is this.. If you think you should make a move. Do it!! Do not second guess yourself. Elk are loud animals, making a little noise won't kill you. Just make sure you are scent free!

I hope we both have a good season! Mine starts in September!:D

Colorado Luckydog 06-17-2008 07:40 AM

In the mountains and foothills the wind tends to swirl and it's hard to keep it in your face. Make sure to bring some scent killer and use it periodically during the day. Scent cover has proven to be very useful to me and I have been within just a few feet of deer and elk many many times, and they never knew I was there. I use the H.S. Wafers in the fresh earth scent. Even though the wind is swirling, I always carry a wind detector and try my best to hunt into the wind. And last but not least, bring a cow call. It's amazing how easy it is to stop elk with a mouth call. Even if you can't blow a mouth call a primos Hoochie Mamma will stop elk at 300 plus yards for you to get time for a shot. I've seen over and over. Good luck and keep us posted.

Colorado Luckydog 06-17-2008 07:48 AM

A couple of more things... Try and bring some camo sweat pants or something like that. It can be very cold in the morning and hot as hell in the afternoon. Long johns are a pain in the ass, the sweat pants can just be pulled off and stuck into your pack.

Hunt open areas in the morning and evenings, but during the day when it's hot you have to go into the timber, or their "bedroom"to get them.

Try and talk to someone to get some tips on cleaning elk. It is NOTHING like cleaning a deer. In Texas I can handle getiing a deer out of the woods in the dark by myself. Getting an elk out is a huge project and you need to plan ahead for it.

scott26 06-17-2008 09:08 AM

Luckydog/muliefever,

Great advice and thanks. I had already planned on liberal use of scent killer and I will purchase a cow elk call.

I have been studying google earth looking for places of heavy timber adjoining open fields and a water source, not unlike what I do for whitetail. Also I have been looking for areas with small valleys/cuts that create a natural funnel between timber, fields, and water as possible ambush points. Does this sound like I am on the right track?

Farther these areas are from roads/ easy acess I imagine the better. I am concerened however no matter how conditioned I get here in south Florida I will fatigue easily in the high altitude. I have lived at sea level my entire life. Thoughts?

If I am fortunate enough to see and take an elk I figured there will be two ways to get him out of the woods. One would be to hire a commercial pack outfit. The other would be to take him out piece by piece. Thanks again

Scott

Colorado Luckydog 06-17-2008 12:44 PM

Here's a link to altitude sickness, it's cause and treatment. I've never had a problem with it more than just feeling tired. http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/safety/altitude.html

One more thing....glass, you need some decent binos and a good system for carrying them. The regular neck strap gets old quick. I always bring my spotting scope but only use it during the first couple of days of scouting. After we figure out where were gonna hunt, I just carry binos.

I bring boots for bad weather, but use tennis shoes are regular hiking boots as much as possible.

BuckAlley 06-17-2008 06:11 PM

Well being from Florida, withthe hot temps, high humidity, low elevation climant your used to. I'd be prepared for colder weather than you might be accustom too. I would bring a good pr of Long Johns to wear under your camo. What might seem warm to us wintery folks in hunting season, might seem freezing to you. Also I'd be doing more for exercising than walking with a pack. Get jogging. The better shape your in the better. Your in for a treat when it comes to higher elevations. Walking upmountain/steep hill10yds will feel like climbing a 100yds in Florida. The best shape you can be in will be your biggest asset. If your out of shape, you'll truly limit how far you can go. I'd also look into obtaining a horse if possible to limit walking. Also plan on much dryer climant compared to FL. Plan on bottled water or hydration pack. Just be sure to drink alot of it. For elevation sickness, and you will experience it to some degree. Most at least get headaches all day long. I had headaches, and some stomach upset my 1st time out. I highly recommend bottles of Alieve, and Rolaids!

Muliefever 06-17-2008 06:20 PM

I agree 100% with CL.. A great pair of binos can make or break the hunt. I use some 10x42's. they are not to big that they become cumbersome, but have enough power to do some serious glassing. If you are in good shape at sea level then you will be fine at 8000 plus. It will take you a couple of days to adjust to the thinner air though! Trust me on this. From the mountains, been on the coast with the Coast Guard for the last 6.5 years. I do just fine when I make my trip back home to chase some mountain thunder!

scott26 06-17-2008 08:24 PM

Buckalley,

I dont think I was paying enough attention to hydration on a few deer hunts up north and your post reminded me of how much you can sweat even in the cold. I will pack gatorade/water in excess thanks. Didnt think about it being drier so I will pack some lip balm.

Muliefever,

Thanks for the encouragement hopefull it wont be as big a deal as it might sound. 10x42 binos will be on the shoppin list as well.

Cant thank you all enough for the great advice.

Scott

bugs11 06-17-2008 09:46 PM

I talked to my Dr. regarding going up to 8-9k feet from the flatlands. He suggested taking one regular aspirin for 5 days before heading up and while at altitude. I do that everytime I head to CO. Seems to help, but it may be the placebo effect. I was going to mention the lip balm as it is way drier in CO mountains than Daytona beach.

Hurricanespg 06-17-2008 10:07 PM

Scott; I am in pretty much the same boat as you, although I do live at a little bit higher elevation. I will be going elk hunting for the first time this fallduringCO's second rifle season. My group is planning on backpacking into an area and hunting theentire second rifle season.
The advice that everyone has given me can be summed up into.........Hydrate, and when you think that you have gotten into the bestshape of your life then go out and get ineven better shape.
My current exercise regimenis......swimming 5 days a week for an hour at a time. Running/jogging3 milesevery day and another 3 miles every night. One day out of the weekend I take a 6 mile trail run with 35lbs on my back...I have found that I cannot balance very well with more than 35lbs in a backpack while running.
Good luck, hope it will be as fun for you as I think it will be for me!

scott26 06-18-2008 06:01 AM

Same to you hurricane and thanks. Sounds like your exercise plan will be more vigorous than mine, not sure I could find that kind of time. My usual pre-season exercise routine is fast paced walking for two miles a day while slowly building a heavier pack. By season I am carrying a 55 - 60 lb backpack 2 miles a day. Makes hunting carrying a 8lb rifle and a 10lb pack a breeze. Thanks again and good luck this season.

Scott

homers brother 06-20-2008 08:04 PM

Coming from Florida, acclimatization to the altitude's going to make or break your hunt. When I lived in Pagosa Springs, I never hunted the Weminuche, but the general environment there is similar to what I hunt now in Wyoming.

Trust me on this one, what's going to make carrying a 10 lb pack and 8 lb rifle easy to carry is your level of aerobic conditioning. Walking with your pack will get your back, shoulders, and legs into shape, but you'll find yourself taking 15 steps and stopping to breathe. Run. Or walk very fast as a minimum. Change up your workout - alternateyour aerobic workouts with strength workouts.

Next - Hydration is absolutely critical at 7,000 -10,000 feet.

bugs11 06-21-2008 08:41 AM

Speaking of conditioning, I read somewhere that one should prepare for mountain air by climbing hills while wearing a pack and restricting airflow by only breathing through the nose or have your mouth open just slightly. That replicates what it will be like at altitude. You need a few days up high for your body to react and make more red blood cells. Personally, I like to spend a day at 5k feet, before going up and staying at 8-9k. The first coupe of days are the hardest.

quietelkstalker 06-22-2008 01:13 PM

when u buy an otc tag you are allowed to go to any unit that is otc i have some good hot spots in unit80 which is not to far. if you would like some info pm me .

Alsatian 06-24-2008 07:49 AM

Scott26: Get a GPS device and learn how to use it. It doesn't have to be expensive or fancy and you don't have to know how to cook eggs benedict using the device. It can provide a comfortable sense of security and provide serious help if you get turned around. Even the simple ones allow you to set a waypoint -- like where you have parked your truck or started out from -- and then later select the GPS to direct you back to that waypoint. Take a map and compass as back-up for the GPS. A Magellan eTrex is pretty cheap and suffices, although many other devices may also be entirely suitable.

The key physical attribute is stamina. To build this, reduce body weight (if you are over weight) and do exercise that makes you breath hard. Do not expect to prepare for the thin air -- that is not my point -- as this is next to impossible for us low landers. Be ready to breath hard and have to pace yourself. That is just the way it goes. What you want to accomplish -- and which is achievable -- is to develop the stamina to keep going all day long and for the duration of the hunting season, day-after-day.

The advice about binoculars is good. Let your eyes do the work for you. Once you have climbed a few hills you will understand the wisdom of this advice. Get on top of a high hill before first light and scout for elk with your binoculars.

turkeyward 06-29-2008 11:21 PM

I used to live there and hunted the Wemenuche extensively. First tip hunt close to the aspens. Second tip, the good hunting starts at about 10,000 and then goes up well past 12,000. Really -- get in shape. At the bottom of the mountain heading towards the highway the public gives way to the private ground. Even though its the bottom its still high elevation. Any way the elk will sometimes go hang down there. Lots of elk and lots of fun. Be sure not to trespass. Lots of bears too. Should think about a bear tag if you can afford one. Head out from Wolf Creek campground. When you get past poison park go south of the big headwall and climb to the top of it. There is about 4,000 acres of beautiful aspen benches. Work those benches to the top of the aspens. There are a few really good wallows up there and work to the continental divide. There are several pockets there that hold elk all through the hunting season. Up on top of that big headwall there are three small drainages that are full of wallows and dark timber bordered by aspens. Hit those really hard. Of course watch the wind and be quiet, they are there.
Good luck have fun and post pics when you get back.

scott26 06-30-2008 06:10 PM

Turkeyward,

Thanks for the detailed advice. I will make use of it and post the pics. Deep thanks again.

Scott

Redclub 07-02-2008 02:40 PM

Scott all good advice,You will see a ton of hunters so be prepared, you cannot walk away from them, The hunting can be different, as you might consider Whitetail tactic's, at least for the the first 3 days after that the crowd thins out and you can explore. You could pick out 10 area's on a GPS and end up having hunters at each location. So don't get frustrated just look some more. It is a great time and enjoy just be aware
Redclub

usa 07-04-2008 02:26 PM

I've also hunted that area since 94, all good advice but , everyone is an individual so hunt according to whatyour physical limitation's dictate, don't worry if you can't climb the highest mountain. Go in with the attitude that you are going to have a great hunt no matter what, as far as packing out your elk you will be able to do it one quarter at a time, I've packed out 7 of the 8 bull's that I've killed by my self and I'
m 67 yrs old with chronic broncitus. learn how to clean your elk without gutting, it will be much easier and less smelly to attract the localcritters that also want to eat your elk.I can't emphasize enough about water and lip balm, stay hydrated. one more thing in 94 the day before 2nd season opener it was in the 60/70 's overnite it snowed 34 inches and I spent the first half day of opening day towing out stranded hunters, so go prepared.

elkhuntinut 07-05-2008 05:15 AM

Having good gear as mentioned is important. A good backpack, boots and of course layering with good quality clothing. Always pack enough like you plan on staying overnight in the woods (you hope not, but it always pays to be prepared)

I would see if you pack will hold a good hydration bag, and always pack a roll of duct tape...in the event you do develop blisters on the feet, wrapping them with duct tape will not keep you out of the field.

scott26 07-05-2008 05:23 PM

Elkhuntinut,usa,redclub,

Thanks for the great advice. I will absolutely put it to good use. Redclub, No matter what I am going to have a great time, but I hate to hear the area is pretty high pressured. By looking at google earth I have found many back roads that go for quite a distance. I was hoping to get the opportunity to get away from the rest but I will plan for what you had said. Thanks again.

Scott

turkeyward 07-05-2008 09:50 PM

A couple more things -- first there are no roads -- it's a wilderness. No motors not even chainsaws. In that area you cannot even use wheels. So mountain bikes and game carts are not even allowed. The other thing is -- it will rain almost every day somewhere around 4 p.m. give or take a couple of hours. Keep your rain gear handy. If you happen to be working a bull when the rain comes, it does not bother the elk a bit they won't even take notice and it helps you to get very close undetected.
You won't be fighting the crowds in there but then you will have to hike up a lot. Pack your home on your back and stay in there. If you hit it right you will need earplugs to sleep. It's great. Nonstop bugles all night long.
Goodluck guys.

joshw020 07-05-2008 11:11 PM

Alot of excellent advice on here. I lived in the rockys for a couple of years and go back to CO every chance I get. Asprin/pain reliever, rain gear, long johns, lip balm are all neccessities IMO. Hydrationand physical conditioning are KEY! If you're capable, I strongly suggest walking/jogging stadium stairs or anything similar that you can gain access to. I use a local high school stadum.There's a big difference between being in shape for flat lands and mountains.

scott26 07-06-2008 07:56 AM

Turkeyward,

It looks like the areas I hve been scouting with google earth are just south and east of the wenimuche area. Thanks for the tip on the gamecart as that is something I didnt know and was considering.

Bailsuk 07-07-2008 01:24 PM

Guys , i have read some great advice on here and am gonna use that advice for my own hunt in September . I'm Bowhunting the Rut in The Holy Cross Wilderness Region , little bit different than the Scottish mountains i usually walk up.

Have a great hunt Scott , keep us informed .

Redclub 07-07-2008 03:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Bailsuk

Guys , i have read some great advice on here and am gonna use that advice for my own hunt in September . I'm Bowhunting the Rut in The Holy Cross Wilderness Region , little bit different than the Scottish mountains i usually walk up.

Have a great hunt Scott , keep us informed .
Scott I have hunted and trekked (hill walking)the Scottish highlands and except for the altitude Co. will not be anymore difficult.
Redclub

scott26 07-07-2008 09:27 PM

Thanks again to all who have replied. I have picked up some great info from these posts and have learned a lot. I will let you all know the progress,thoughts, and then post pics in Oct. I am thinking of buying a bear tag in case I am lucky enough to happen on one while elk hunting. Was wondering if this would be worth while (#'s of bears in the area??)and as always any advice is greatly appreciated.

Scott

jjwillie 07-08-2008 06:51 AM

Scott-
IMO, Do yourself a favor and focus only on elk. Personally, if you pack in a few miles in that wilderness, you might think twice about packing out a 300pound bear. If you get lucky and shoot an elk, getting it out is gonna take the spunk right out of you.

scott26 07-08-2008 10:11 AM

jjwillie,

With any luck I will hunt the entire 8 day season. If we are real fortunate and tag out on day 3 and day 4, for example, I am not coming home early so bear/deer are the next option. Honestly, a 300 lb blackbear would be almost as big a trophy for this south florida guy as a decent elk. Hope I didnt step on anyones toes and dont get me wrong, elk is the purpose, but I am not opposed to any trophy I happen to stumble upon. Thanks.

Scott

madmax83192 07-08-2008 11:01 AM

Dont forget your hunters orange. Make sure you know your area thats ben a big problem where i hunt because the private land isnt always marked.

This talks about units 77 and 78 http://www.rmgameandfish.com/hunting/elk-hunting/RM_1007_01/index.html

jjwillie 07-08-2008 11:08 AM

Scott-
That's cool. WE typically do the same. Buy an elk tag and have a deer tag in reserve. But elk is our first priority. I passed up a 28" muley last year becuase I was in the process of stalking a nice 6pt elk. Never did get either, but oh well.
Good luck

CamoCop 07-08-2008 11:13 AM

i didn't read through alot of posts so i don't know if this was already mentioned. i'm not an elk hunter but i do alot of hiking/pre season scouting for deer. keep extra dry socks in your pack. if your feet sweat or get wet, blisters are a sure thing.

scott26 07-08-2008 02:35 PM

Madmax,

Great information and thanks.

Camocop,

Packing xtra socks hadnt been mentioned. Good tip and thanks.

jjwillie,

Sounds like my thoughts exactly. Dont know if I coulda turned down the muley!! Thanks again.

Scott

Blue Moose CO 07-13-2008 01:13 PM

Scott, most of this list has been posted, but here's my 2 cents.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you will be actually hunting the Weinimuche. That is some serious backcounrty stuff, and not some place you will be driving back and forth from each day. If I'm wrong, I appoligize.

Your best resource for finding places to go is to talk directly to the DWM (game warden) and the Biologist in that area. I think Scott Waite is still the Bio in that area. Look @ CDOW website for contact info. They will point you in the right direction. Now remember that they will be talking to hundreds or even thousands of hunters, wanting to know "where"s the Elk at?". Try to ask them specific questions about specific areas/access points.

Once you get to the area, try talking with other hunters in the area. Stop off at their camps and shoot the s__t for a while. Most hunters love to talk elk hunting, w/ someone new to it. Take it with a grain of salt and try to filter out the b.s., but you can get some really good info from your fellow hunters.

Purchase a San Juan National Forest map from the USFS ($6-$10). Also request a travel map (should be free) of the San Juan NF. This is not the same map as the first one. You will see the diff once you look at them.

As forbasic equipment, your doing pretty good. Good (broken in) boots, warm clothes (layers), handwarmers, hunters Orange (500sq in), and a comfortable pack are essintial. Pack what you need and not what you want. 1 lbs = 5lbs when you get a mile from the truck at 9500 ft.

At a minimum you should have these items.
Hunting equipment : - 10x40 compact binos (good quality)
- Bino system (for carrying binos)
- Wind checker (scentless powder - baking soda, commercial stuff, etc) - use it constantly
- Elk call - mouth and handheld - (Hoochie Mama) you need both(hard to shoot w/ one hand) - learn to use them BEFORE going to the woods.
-Hydration pack or water bottle(S) - very important, even if in shape.More h2o the better-AltitudeSickness, fatigue, excitement.
-Shooting sticks/rest - Off hand shooting is for the movies, and you don't always have a tree or rock to set on.
- Good knife set w/quick sharpener. Elk hide/hair is thick and tough, especially a big bull!
- Range finder

Keep up on the excerise progam, that will make your trip so more enjoyable. Just remember, it takes a lot of hard work to get that shot of a lifetime, but it takes even more hard work (A LOT MORE), after the shot, to clean and pack that elk out.

I hope this helps!

Blue Moose CO

Chippewa Partners 07-14-2008 07:29 AM

You might want to scour the internetfor tips in that area, there are some great sites out there as well as this one for elk........what type of pack are you going to be going in with?Are you familiar with quartering a bull?Do you have a mulie tag in hand?Keep in mind that the windmaywell be your single largest determinant in cutting the distance to a nice bullso understand how the thermals work.

I take it you will be camping in the wilderness area. Wear your orange and practiceat distance with your rifle. Understand the bullet trajectory at longer ranges.Never hit the wildernesswithout plenty of GPS power (spare batteries) and a compass. I would go with the expecation to have a great time no matter if you fire a shot or not. Bring a great camera, get in great shape and go hard. Good luck.

scott26 07-16-2008 07:28 AM

Blue Moose,

Great post thanks for all the good info which I will put to use.

Chippewa,

2answer a few of your questions. I am borrowing a pack from my brotherinlaw dont no what kind it is. As far as quartering an elk I will read up as much as I can but havent done so before. Plenty of deer, 1 moose but no elk. I dont plan on buying a mulie tag but do plan on buying a bear tag. My brotherinlaw may though. I am going to bring two low end GPS devices, maps, as well as a compass, and orange is a definate. Thanks for the good advice.

Scott

elkoholic501 09-14-2009 07:55 PM

The Wenimuche wilderness area is entirely in unit 76 which is not avalible otc. It take about 14 to 17 years to draw a tag for that area...Many make the same mistake ever year There are many good places to hunt otc in second season there might be a few still bugling and the big heards will be busted up.. hunt hard esp in the middle of the day..best of luck