HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Pagosa Springs Elk Hunt. Advice needed (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/249584-pagosa-springs-elk-hunt-advice-needed.html)

jjwillie 07-08-2008 06:51 AM

RE: Pagosa Springs Elk Hunt. Advice needed

Scott-
IMO, Do yourself a favor and focus only on elk. Personally, if you pack in a few miles in that wilderness, you might think twice about packing out a 300pound bear. If you get lucky and shoot an elk, getting it out is gonna take the spunk right out of you.

scott26 07-08-2008 10:11 AM

jjwillie,

With any luck I will hunt the entire 8 day season. If we are real fortunate and tag out on day 3 and day 4, for example, I am not coming home early so bear/deer are the next option. Honestly, a 300 lb blackbear would be almost as big a trophy for this south florida guy as a decent elk. Hope I didnt step on anyones toes and dont get me wrong, elk is the purpose, but I am not opposed to any trophy I happen to stumble upon. Thanks.

Scott

madmax83192 07-08-2008 11:01 AM

Dont forget your hunters orange. Make sure you know your area thats ben a big problem where i hunt because the private land isnt always marked.

This talks about units 77 and 78 http://www.rmgameandfish.com/hunting/elk-hunting/RM_1007_01/index.html

jjwillie 07-08-2008 11:08 AM

Scott-
That's cool. WE typically do the same. Buy an elk tag and have a deer tag in reserve. But elk is our first priority. I passed up a 28" muley last year becuase I was in the process of stalking a nice 6pt elk. Never did get either, but oh well.
Good luck

CamoCop 07-08-2008 11:13 AM

i didn't read through alot of posts so i don't know if this was already mentioned. i'm not an elk hunter but i do alot of hiking/pre season scouting for deer. keep extra dry socks in your pack. if your feet sweat or get wet, blisters are a sure thing.

scott26 07-08-2008 02:35 PM

Madmax,

Great information and thanks.

Camocop,

Packing xtra socks hadnt been mentioned. Good tip and thanks.

jjwillie,

Sounds like my thoughts exactly. Dont know if I coulda turned down the muley!! Thanks again.

Scott

Blue Moose CO 07-13-2008 01:13 PM

Scott, most of this list has been posted, but here's my 2 cents.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you will be actually hunting the Weinimuche. That is some serious backcounrty stuff, and not some place you will be driving back and forth from each day. If I'm wrong, I appoligize.

Your best resource for finding places to go is to talk directly to the DWM (game warden) and the Biologist in that area. I think Scott Waite is still the Bio in that area. Look @ CDOW website for contact info. They will point you in the right direction. Now remember that they will be talking to hundreds or even thousands of hunters, wanting to know "where"s the Elk at?". Try to ask them specific questions about specific areas/access points.

Once you get to the area, try talking with other hunters in the area. Stop off at their camps and shoot the s__t for a while. Most hunters love to talk elk hunting, w/ someone new to it. Take it with a grain of salt and try to filter out the b.s., but you can get some really good info from your fellow hunters.

Purchase a San Juan National Forest map from the USFS ($6-$10). Also request a travel map (should be free) of the San Juan NF. This is not the same map as the first one. You will see the diff once you look at them.

As forbasic equipment, your doing pretty good. Good (broken in) boots, warm clothes (layers), handwarmers, hunters Orange (500sq in), and a comfortable pack are essintial. Pack what you need and not what you want. 1 lbs = 5lbs when you get a mile from the truck at 9500 ft.

At a minimum you should have these items.
Hunting equipment : - 10x40 compact binos (good quality)
- Bino system (for carrying binos)
- Wind checker (scentless powder - baking soda, commercial stuff, etc) - use it constantly
- Elk call - mouth and handheld - (Hoochie Mama) you need both(hard to shoot w/ one hand) - learn to use them BEFORE going to the woods.
-Hydration pack or water bottle(S) - very important, even if in shape.More h2o the better-AltitudeSickness, fatigue, excitement.
-Shooting sticks/rest - Off hand shooting is for the movies, and you don't always have a tree or rock to set on.
- Good knife set w/quick sharpener. Elk hide/hair is thick and tough, especially a big bull!
- Range finder

Keep up on the excerise progam, that will make your trip so more enjoyable. Just remember, it takes a lot of hard work to get that shot of a lifetime, but it takes even more hard work (A LOT MORE), after the shot, to clean and pack that elk out.

I hope this helps!

Blue Moose CO

Chippewa Partners 07-14-2008 07:29 AM

You might want to scour the internetfor tips in that area, there are some great sites out there as well as this one for elk........what type of pack are you going to be going in with?Are you familiar with quartering a bull?Do you have a mulie tag in hand?Keep in mind that the windmaywell be your single largest determinant in cutting the distance to a nice bullso understand how the thermals work.

I take it you will be camping in the wilderness area. Wear your orange and practiceat distance with your rifle. Understand the bullet trajectory at longer ranges.Never hit the wildernesswithout plenty of GPS power (spare batteries) and a compass. I would go with the expecation to have a great time no matter if you fire a shot or not. Bring a great camera, get in great shape and go hard. Good luck.

scott26 07-16-2008 07:28 AM

Blue Moose,

Great post thanks for all the good info which I will put to use.

Chippewa,

2answer a few of your questions. I am borrowing a pack from my brotherinlaw dont no what kind it is. As far as quartering an elk I will read up as much as I can but havent done so before. Plenty of deer, 1 moose but no elk. I dont plan on buying a mulie tag but do plan on buying a bear tag. My brotherinlaw may though. I am going to bring two low end GPS devices, maps, as well as a compass, and orange is a definate. Thanks for the good advice.

Scott

elkoholic501 09-14-2009 07:55 PM

The Wenimuche wilderness area is entirely in unit 76 which is not avalible otc. It take about 14 to 17 years to draw a tag for that area...Many make the same mistake ever year There are many good places to hunt otc in second season there might be a few still bugling and the big heards will be busted up.. hunt hard esp in the middle of the day..best of luck