Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Anyone have tips for CO unit 7?  Archery Elk. >

Anyone have tips for CO unit 7? Archery Elk.

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Anyone have tips for CO unit 7? Archery Elk.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:23 PM

Default Anyone have tips for CO unit 7? Archery Elk.

I was not so lucky this year on my regular spot. So I am looking for help. Anyonehave any tips for CO GMU 7 for archery elk? All tips are much appreciated.

Greg
Old 06-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anyone have tips for CO unit 7? Archery Elk.

I have not hunted in 7 but did hunt next door in 19....Very similar terrain.I have alot of buddies that hunt that area and are successful. Classic Rocky elk territory Alot of elevation change with thick timber, aspen draws,and spuratic meadows. The moose are thick as flies up there.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the reply. Can you get more specific about 19 as we have access to that unit as well. I have hiked up there a bit but just on main trail heads, never hunted there. I am really looking for a starting point. Like where to camp and general direction to hunt. I will scout over the summer and find the animals but it is a big area and if I can narrow down where to scout it will help a ton. Thanks again.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:29 PM

Greg 19 is mostly private property, haven't hunted seven much yet i usually hunt 191, and eight. Which season are you hunting? Ilive in livermore colorado on your way up lol if your even thinking about eight let me now what season and if you might go there. Brad

Old 06-15-2008, 08:48 PM

Brad,

We are really open to where we hunt. We do not know the area so we are kind stuck. Either we will find someone who knows the area and will help us out or we are going to have to use the first couple weeks to feel it out and move campasnecessary. We are hunting archery and will hunt the first 11 days of the season then come home for a week and then back for the last 11 of the season. Unit 8 is a stong possibility if we can find the elk. Again, we are open so if you havesuggestions, let me know. My personalemail is [email protected]. Thanks.

Greg
Old 06-16-2008, 01:07 PM

spent some time in these units. . . . all I can say is you better bring good boots so you can hike further than the out of staters, or to be more PC, just plain lots of people. 7, 8, 191, 19 seem to be packed full of folks, hence pretty low sucess areas.
Last year in 19 I probalbly talked to 7 or 8 hunters or pairs of hunters. Only one from from Colorado.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the reply. That was my thoughts as well. We might have to do this hunt by horseback to get back far enough. Any suggestions on where to start? Did you see any animals? Thanks again for the help.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:57 PM

as nutz stated. . .Moose are thick. . . . I took a nice cow and had a great shot on a great bull but no tag, [:@][:@]. This was during ML, archery season. I used a .54 ball shooter, My first elk with ML, she didn't care for it much, kinda just fell over. The cow was taken at 11K + and 3.5 miles from the trail head. You need to go high and be up there at first light. I would hike the 3.5 milesfrom my truck to my spot in time to be sitting above timberline before first light. Watch the wind, your gonna smell after the climb, don't over call. There in there.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:27 AM
Typical Buck

Greg the thing in your favor is there is a good snow load keeping the elk down. I would be up every weekend watching how and where they disperse as the snow melts. Things will change as water thins out in late July and early August. Find open spaces up high to watch antlers develop. The bulls will spend many hours up high trying to stay cool. Look for heavy timber with good feed, waterand escape routs near by. When I draw my favoite unit around Fairplay I have found that the elk are not at ease until you get about a mile off the road.
Two things you need to know other than every nock and crany of your unit[hard to do] is where the bulls and cow are at the start of season. Because the bulls will go find the cows in "defendable areas"* to breed.
* A defendable area is a place is with thick timber with small openings near by, one or more water sources to include wallows and a canyon or ridge that provides good bedding and escape routs.
There should be many of these areas from looks of the map. Good luck in your search. I always liked June and July scouting because it makes me feel I am ready for August.
Gselkhunter
Old 06-17-2008, 04:43 PM

Gselkhunter,

Yes, the amount of snow we have had this never ending winter is a good thing. The problem is this unit is huge. Finding a starting point is tough unless you get a nudge in the right direction.I can take it from there and find the animals. Have you ever hunted in this unit? We are thinking about doing the first couple weeks in unit 8. The terrain is rough with longhikes to get back far enough. We are considering taking horses but asI am sure you know, horses are almost more of a pain than what they are worth. Regardless it is going to be a blast. We cant hardly wait any longer. Good thing scouting gives you a little taste before the show. Thanks for the reply and good luck this year.

Elkfreak

Quick Reply: Anyone have tips for CO unit 7? Archery Elk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.