Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 How will increased fuel prices affect your hunting this year? >

How will increased fuel prices affect your hunting this year?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How will increased fuel prices affect your hunting this year?

Old 06-08-2008, 07:00 AM

Default RE: How will increased fuel prices affect your hunting this year?

I think the various tourism groups are already reporting lower than usual visitors to popular places. Memorial weekend around here was scary slow at the lakes and parks. Hunters will stay closer to home.
Fortunately for me, that means nothing will change.
We're 1 1/2 to 2 hours from elk, deer, lopes, bear, fishing, etc.
A bunch of us have discussed the posibility of more "car-poolin'" this fall. One guy suggested renting a Rider truck, kick out the sides, and all of go for a ride!
You hate it . . . but what are you gonna do? If Exxon has to make 10.8 billon dollars profit in one quarter . . . what are we goona do to stop it?!
Old 06-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

affect my hunting? Not at all.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

I am not going to fly anywhere because of the cost of flying going up and what the airline are putting us through (fee per checked in luggage, delays). Also I do not trust the airline to handle my rifles so I will have to Fedex them. More expenses there.

I will still drive up north (Maine for me) but less often.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah? Things could be interesting come this fall. Though I've kind of become accustomed to frequent encounters behind slow-moving pickup trucks on the F.S. roads leading to the drainages I walk for deer, it'll really be interesting to see how many of those guys can afford to idle away tank after tank of $5/gallon gas or diesel?

Something tells me I'm going to see more of those guys out walking this year- or I'm not going to see them in the woods at all?
Old 06-09-2008, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

SO far I am cut back to just gas and groceries. I havnet t ried to pay the tax on the newer camper trailer we bought or went to get tags for it. This gas thing is hurting worldwide with gas in Sweden, Norway, Denmark at 10.00 a gallon already. I have camping t rips to scout and some hunts planned but not sure if we'll be able to go. Grim is the only word that comes to mind at this stage.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:08 AM
Dominant Buck

No cutting back for me regardless of the price of gas. We are still planning a 4600 mile round trip from Vt to Colorado for second season rifle. I probably won't go back to Ohio for shotgun this year but it has more to do with the hunting rather than the costs.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

I cam off my lease, it is about 1.5 hours away. Not so much the gas, but lack of animals. I figure I will do a few day hunts around San Antonio this year vs driving to the lease and seeing nothing.

Jayson
Old 06-09-2008, 09:58 AM

I too, will bite the bullet. Hunting is my passion so I will do what it takes. I will definitely be more strict about people paying their share of the gas. Very conservative (to my end) about mpg estimates, the fact that I am driving, etc. Pay up or you don't get in. I will also cut back on scouting trips this year. Instead of two or three it will only be one or two. I'll just take more time off work--the gas for these trips will be comprable to a days salary!

When I was in HS I worked for minimum wage. Now that I am done with college, I have a really good job. Much, much better salary. What's sad is that it used to only take 2-3 hours of work to fill up my gas tank. Now it takes 3 - 4 hours.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Typical Buck

I have had to cut back on afterwork and 1/2 day outings. I am trying to only drive in to the mountains when I can spend the whole day and get the most out of my fuel. I have also put in for extra doe tags, and may go after a cow elk instead of a bull this fall for the meat, since grocery costs have risen. I believe it may make some hunting better though by reducing the numbers of road hunters.
Any rise in cost to hunt really effects the poorest among us, and I hate to see anything that puts the cost of hunting out of peoples reach, since they are the ones who truely need the meat for the freezer. The heart of hunting that I was raisedaroundwas about obtaining inexpensivemeat to feedyour family, and as itbecame cheaper to buy beef, than to get an elk or deer I believe hunting suffered as a whole.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

It isn't going to affect me this year, but it already has next year. I am cutting WAY back on the expense of my hunting excursions for next year[]Although that is mainly because of the overall increased cost of living and not just gas specifically.

However, as long as I can still hunt life is good.

Quick Reply: How will increased fuel prices affect your hunting this year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.