HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Need help picking out a .270 cal rifle (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/247370-need-help-picking-out-270-cal-rifle.html)

whitetailcrazy 05-26-2008 07:19 PM

Need help picking out a .270 cal rifle

I'm from Illinois and unfamiliar with larger caliber rifles,,,, i am looking to pick up a .270 cal. i am hoping some of you can help me make a decision on brand of rifle and type of scope and what power??? I will be using it for mulies/ antelope/ and possibly elk......... I do not want to spend a fortune, but I am willing to spend modestly on a good quality rifle! Then I have to spend money on a good quality scope,,,,,,,,, NEED YOUR HELP! Need some recomendations!

cowboy4513 05-26-2008 07:29 PM

RE: Need help picking out a .270 cal rifle

Remington 700 close the thread :Dseriously though I love mine.

TexasBowHunter 05-26-2008 07:32 PM

I will start, I have several Ruger M77's and absolutely love them. I just bought another one a few weeks ago and topped it with a Nikon Monarch 5-20X44, however that might be a bit high power just for hunting. The scope has good quality optics and can be bought for a real fair price (I bought mine for 420 to my door). Good luck...

hunter5325 05-26-2008 07:37 PM

I'm a Remington guy so I say go with a model 700 of your choice. I've got stainless SPS's and XCR's and I love um. I would then throw a Leupold on top of it. The vx-1's are good scopes, but buy a vx-2 or 3 if you've got the $. 3-9x40's would be fine (3.5-10x40 if vx-3). Sounds like your runnin factory loads so I would go with a stout 130 or 140gr load(ie-Accubond, Interbond, Partition, Grand Slam, TSX).

Asfar as the .270 goes, it's a great choice as a western firearm. It'll do all you ask of it if you do your part.

Good luck,

Brett

700xcr 05-26-2008 10:24 PM

I'm a Remington guy too. I have the Remington model 700xcr in 270wsm. I topped mine with a Burris Euro-Diamond 2.5x10x44mm with the Ballistic Plex retical.

Colorado Luckydog 05-27-2008 07:46 AM

Remington 700 all the way. You can go with an SPS model and save some serious dough, or you can spend a little more and get a great wood stock in a BDL. Just take it down and get a trigger job after you pick it up and you will be very happy. I liked the info above about the Nikon Monarch, great scope. Just make sure to get a quality scope, Nikon, Leupold, or maybe Burris, all are great scopes, and you can go up from there.

huntingson 05-27-2008 11:07 AM

Savage Arms or the Weatherby Vanguard. Both are way cheaper than the Remington and both have better out of the box accuracy than the Remington 700.

cjwink 05-27-2008 11:16 AM

Id probably go with a Savage with a Nikon prostaff on it.. Gun is about 500, scope about 150.00

MTdream 05-27-2008 11:55 AM

ORIGINAL: whitetailcrazy

I'm from Illinois and unfamiliar with larger caliber rifles,,,, i am looking to pick up a .270 cal. i am hoping some of you can help me make a decision on brand of rifle and type of scope and what power??? I will be using it for mulies/ antelope/ and possibly elk......... I do not want to spend a fortune, but I am willing to spend modestly on a good quality rifle! Then I have to spend money on a good quality scope,,,,,,,,, NEED YOUR HELP! Need some recomendations!
Age old question similar to protestant and catholic...

but here is my opinion...

there is not a better value for your money than Savage...but if you want more refined parts and alittle more money...then the best value is Tikka...

guaranteed accuracy...INCREDIBLE guns both spend their money where it matters, barrel and trigger...both will knowck down game when you want...

spend more money on optics than on the gun...optics are the KEY to hunting out west here...I will take an average gun with above average optics and out shoot anyone with above average gun and average optics...

my opinion on optics is spend atleast as much (more if going for Savage) on optics as you do on thegun, and you wont go wrong...

salukipv1 05-27-2008 04:40 PM

My .270 is a browning BAR and it shoots amazingly well. Though I have since become a bigger fan of bolt actions.

Remington 700, or Browning Abolt are great places to start, I'd choose a push feed over a controlled most likely, Sako 85 perhaps. Ormaybe a weatherby vanguard sub-moa....

I'd put at least a 3-9 on top of it, with a strong recommendation on a 4-12 or 4.5-14 type.