Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Need help picking out a .270 cal rifle >

Need help picking out a .270 cal rifle

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need help picking out a .270 cal rifle

Old 06-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Spike

Default RE: Need help picking out a .270 cal rifle

PS. Looked at some .270 ammo today at Scheels. About fell over backwards - $34.99 for federal premiums with the 150 grainNosler Partition. Time to fire up the reloading press again.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your on a budget then I would look in this order, Savage the 11x line, Howa 1500 and Weatherby Vanguard. Like has been said you need to decide on wood, laminate, blue or stainless. I am also curious about the Remington 798/799 ( Remington's attempt at marketing a mauser action, made in Europe if forget if it is Cz or Serbia). I haven't heard any real world reviews on them yet though. Glass that's another subject. I personally prefer Leupold's on my hunting rifles for the eye relief but have been completely satisfied with Nikon's ( I own a Prostaff and Buckmaster) and Bushnell's ( suggest the Elite 3200 if you have the coin the 4200). When I first started out I had a Bushnell Banner on my 30-06 for several years which served me well until I started figuring out what was what and what I liked.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:18 AM

I have a shooting range at my house ,so I get to shoot and see alot of different rifles.Out of the box the Ruger model 77 MARKII are really great shooters.Then savage next remington.I really like shooting a TC arms ENCORE,that is my favorite shooter.I said buy the scope first then buy the rifle next.Too many guys go buy a really nice rifle then go buy a 29.99 scope. then say that the rifle is not that good of a shooter.Ihave nothing but Leupolds on all my guns.There are alot of other good scopes makers out there.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: cowboy4513

Remington 700 close the thread seriously though I love mine.
X2
Old 06-11-2008, 09:14 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Rem 700 ADL in 270 was my first centerfire rifle as a kid, hunting the flat lands of Nebraska for deer and antelope, Ialways figured I could hand it down to my boys. Later on, once we startedhunting elk my kids and I abandoned the 270in spades.It won't do elk the way itdoes deer. Now it doesn't even make the trip to elk camp as a back up rifle.

Either a 7mmRemMag or 30-06 would have been a better choice. At 18 and 145 pounds my twin sonslatched on to my two 338WinMags (a Mossberg and a Sako); I got bumped up tothe 375H&H. My two cents.... 270's.... they're a nice deer rifle.

Rem 700 was okay, I didn't know much better at the time, now I'd much prefer a CZ 550 American.... double square bridge mauser with claw extractor and controlled round feed, single set trigger, and a no tools required, hand strippable bolt mechanismand firing pin.... the safety locks down the bolt handle too.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Typical Buck

I really like my Sav 111 pkg270, just wish they'd make em in a 26" barrel.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

Almost all current mnufactures make great rifles. I would handle the ones in your price range and see what fits you best. See how the saftey, bolt, and magazine controls work, and maybe go with a make and model that mimmicks a gun you are already familar with. If you are using for Muleys and Elk you will more than likely be in rough country with equally rough weather, so I would highley recommend a stainless synthetic setup.
For a scope, buy the most expensive you can afford, Leupold, Burris, both make many models, and their lower end scopes are usually still tough as nails. I would go with a 3x9 for the .270 or a 4x12, but would try to keep weight to a minimum, since you will want the gun scope combo to be easy and light to pack. You may want to get a scope with multiple aiming recticles, since they are handy for making the longer shots with confidence (buy a good rangefinder also, I have had good luck with nikons). Get it set up, find a load that shoots well at your 100 yard sight in distance, then get 50 to 100 rounds and spend a few days shooting at ranges from 35 yards to 500 yards to know your gun and capabilities.