Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

WYoming BISON!!

Old 05-25-2008, 06:59 AM

Default RE: WYoming BISON!!

You don't want to come all the way out here, pay all that fuel cost, maybe get one . . . maybe not . . .

I have an idea! Just trade me your #7 for my #2476 and you won't have to worry 'bout it!
I'll send you pic's, and some meat!
Whaddayathink?
Old 05-25-2008, 07:05 AM

But on a more serious note . . .
Go to: http://gf.state.wy.us/admin/regulations/pdf/Ch15.pdf
This is the Bison regs. Area 1 is described. The season is July 1 - Jan 31st!!

Good hunting.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

haha, sounds good, that fuel is high....course the new rig gets 20mpg highway! lovin that!

how many people apply for that? my father and I are 7 & 170, I guess whether you're 170 or 3000 it doesn't matter, but both of us drew fairly low #s I'm surprised, but I guess the old man guy luck with 7 and that's all that matters.

I'm glad it goes to Jan31st....when does it start getting nasty up near yellowstone? I hunted antelope in sept in wyoming out east....and we had a 30degree overnight lows....rain, sleet.....then it perked up but, I figure by late oct up there, there should be some snow etc....

Have to check the regs on antelope, plan on being out there for an antelope hunt as well, perhaps we can push that off to later and combo hunt, what a combo, Antelope/Bison! Imagine seeing that in a brochure, haha.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just checked if we get our expected antelope unit....the season, least last year went until Oct.22nd, What do you think of hunting Bison in October?

What about hunting Antelope in Central Wyo in October?
Old 05-25-2008, 12:03 PM

Remember, you have drawn a "Priority Number", not a license. The appication states: [align=left]You are reminded that this Application is only for a ranking on the Wild Bison Priority Listing. If applicant is notified for a hunt a license[/align][align=left]must still be purchased. The license fee is $2,502.00. The hunt time period and hunt area may be designated by the[/align][align=left]Department at the time of notification of hunting opportunity.[/align][align=left]A random computer selection will place hunters on a priority list and you will be notified by mail or telephone in order of priority ranking[/align]when the Department determines a wild bison recreational opportunity exists.

So, you don't really know if you got a license or not, just a high priority number. Our G&F has yet to determine IF there is a bison hunt and IF there are 7 or more licenses issued, then your dad still has to buy the $2500.00 license. Kind of a scam, but that's the way you do bison here.
I've yet to get the opportunity at a bison, but it is my understanding that there is little "hunting" to them. You drive around (or have a local or game warden drive you to them), get out, and drop him. Kind of like shooting your neighbor's dog. But a lot more meat! And good meat too.
You know, for about $2500.00, there are many private bison ranches out in this country that will let you shoot one any time you want!

So October for lopes is dicey because they will have been hunted, shot at, and educated for several weeks before. My antelope archery starts the 15th of August for instance. And rifle on Sept 20th. It can be done because there are no shortages of them here, but does present you with a more challenging hunt.

You might go to the G&F home page and link into "license draw results" to see if you got anything. http://gf.state.wy.us/index.asp

Old 05-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't many bison carry Brucciolis or something? What's the deal with that?

I know there are many ranches with bison, though not considered "free ranging"
Old 05-25-2008, 08:02 PM

That's a touchy subject, especiallyon Montana ranches that border Yellowstone. The cure for it is erradication. Any bison wandering off of park lands into Montana can be killed immediately.
From an article:
Brucellosis has been eradicated in most of the United States except for several major sources in free-living elk and bison in the Greater Yellowstone Area and adjacent land. In a very controversial proposal, the National Park Service has set a goal of eliminating brucellosis in bison and elk in the Yellowstone area by 2010. The Park Service’s efforts, along with the State of Montana’s policy of killing any bison that stray from the park area, have resulted in severe reduction of the U.S. bison herd at Yellowstone.

There is no harm to humans though. I don't think it's a sprevelent as it used to be. But the bison herd is noticably smaller.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:00 AM

1st you DO NOT need a outfitter, fishnski is on trhe money on the hunt. I killed my bull last year on shadow, Dr. Harju killed his there the year before. The guy that Killed That big bull last year had passed on 3 or 4 bulls on Shadow.
The season last year ran from mid Sep to mid Dec.
The had part off the hunt is handleing all the meat, Call you tag-em-we-drag-em and let them know your coming. That was the best 300$ I ever spent. They will tell ya about were the bison are in the hunt area and save ya a lot time and money. They are really good people and earn there money.

Have a flat bed trailer or a pickup that dose not have a topper to load the bison on. Contact the meat locker in Jackson before you Kill your bison , they only have so much room and you don't want to let any of the meat spoil. there is a lot of meat on a Bison, I processed mine at home after they skinned it and let it hang in the cooler in Jackson over night. ( that ran 200$ but the meat was clean and I did not lose any). I got 364 1lbs + pakages of burger and 80+ of steaks and roast.

I have the hunt area maps here somewhere and will pm you when I find them. I'll mail you them.

You Dads going to have a Great hunt, Wyo. G&F people are great but watch the NF and park service people. they can be real jerks.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ldjanos/My%20Bison/BisonandSam024-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ldjanos/My%20Bison/102_1451.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ldjanos/My%20Bison/BisonandSam029.jpg
Old 05-30-2008, 09:36 PM

Historically they've only issued 5 non-res bull tags, but I think they increased that last year because they're so far over populations objectives. The Jackson G&F guys should be able to tell you how many bull tags they issued to non-residents last year.

Have fun if you go. They're awesome animals.

Here's a link to my 2005 hunt:
http://www.huntthewest.com/updates/updates-2005bison.htm
Old 05-31-2008, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

gotlost, wow! haha nice pictures, all 3 made me smile/chuckle, that guy looked pretty big, horns....that a ruger #1? what caliber?

Thanks for the help/info, and when you get the maps etc....I'm not too worried as the time draws closer I'm sure not only will fish n game send some info, but the new guidelines will be published, also I agree I think everyone wants to see you take a bison so they're more than willing to help. I'm really thinking DIY is the way to go and possible, and have seen that tag n drag, wrote him for some info, but no word yet, may give have to give him a call one of these days.

I talked to game and fish and last year they issued 28non res bull tags...this year the quota is 30 and may be more, but not less, though last year only 6 non res took their bull tags which doesn't really make sense to me, why did 24 not take a tag? I asked if that meant that the 6th tag issued ended up going to the 28th hunter....they said no, all 28 could have had tags but only 6 actually took a tag and hunted, all 6 were successful.

Quick Reply: WYoming BISON!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.