HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   ADAK Island (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/246512-adak-island.html)

JakeinTX 05-18-2008 07:09 PM

ADAK Island

Has anyone hunted Adak Island. My father in law is talking about doing a Caribou hunt there. Any info would be appreciated.

Jake

Judyboi 05-18-2008 09:55 PM

RE: ADAK Island

Adak was hit really hard by a jack*** outfitter a couple years ago....took nearly every mature, and almost mature bull off....but, if I were looking for more info on alaskan hunting in general I would look through the archives at www.forums.outdoorsdirectory.com there are several threads detailing caribou hunting on Adak. Also send a message to Michael Strahan on that board, he has alot of insider knowledge on that subject.

Good luck.

MObuckhunter 05-19-2008 07:14 AM

I lived there before and hunted it in the early 90's.The caribou where bought to ADAK by the navy.They relased 28 of them for a food source for war world 2.The second time, I was there, it was no limit on the caribou.The state of AK, told the military to shoot them all off because they where not native to the island.We hunted them year round.So I do not know what happen to the herd.I would not paid a guide for any hunting there.It is to easy thereare no trees, they have no place to go.They mainly stayed on the south end of the island.South ofTeardrop lake.I walked every where there.A boat would have made life easy to drive to the south side of island.It was like shooting fish in a barrel.But for a resident back then it only cost me 25.00 to kill them so it was cool.

AK Jeff 05-21-2008 11:50 PM

They recently changed the regs on Adak to no more than two bulls and you can't take any bulls until Aug. 10th. From what I've read the bulls were severly overharvested and trophy quality really suffered. If you want to hunt Adak prepare to shell out big bucks just to get there. It's expensive to get to Alaska, but Adak is a whole different story. I've heard that the limited road system isn't much to hunt anymore unless you want to shoot a cow or small bull. In order to get to the bigger bulls it's best to get a boat based transporter to take you around the island. If I was you I'd spend my money on a Western Arctic, Central Arctic or Porcupine Herd hunt.

AK Jeff

just_tom 08-25-2009 12:43 PM

Adak Update

Just got back from Adak. Talk about a difficult hunt. There isn't much out there in terms of support for hunters. We camped on our own and was able to pay a local to drop us off at the end of the road. We got two bulls out of three, but one was rather small. If your looking to shoot a Caribou, it's the wrong place to go, if you have a bunch of money and time to kill, you can shoot a big one. Best thing to do is get in contact with as many people up there before you go. [email protected] is a good start or www.adaklodges.talkspot.com is another. I would recommend getting an Alaskan Airlines credit card prior to going so you can use the miles towards the trip. Hope this helps.

JavaBob 08-25-2009 02:01 PM

WOW you just brought back memories I was stationed there 79-82.

Was able to get 2, lots of fishing (go during salmon run):cool2:
I just mite have a map or 2 of the island a swell (marked up of sightings).

But 25 years ago is a long time though..

Good luck if you go. I will look for maps and PM.