Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Grizzly bear? Elk hunt in CO.. Help keep me alive >

Grizzly bear? Elk hunt in CO.. Help keep me alive

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Grizzly bear? Elk hunt in CO.. Help keep me alive

Old 05-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Grizzly bear? Elk hunt in CO.. Help keep me alive

Last confirmed grizzly bear sighting in CO was 40 years ago.....its dead. Your biggest fears of big game hunting in CO should come from two sources.
Ed Wiseman Toneda OUtftters was mauled by a grizzly in 1980 in COLORADO. That was more then a sighting and it happened 28 years ago. There is evidence they are back in the state real good evidence.

My neighbors dog is more dangerous than all the bears and cats you could find in the state.
That is until the bear or cat decides to take you. I have yet to run into an outfitter in Co that was not packing a handgun during archery ELk and Deer season.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would be more worried/concerned about a cat before a dang bear in co. I wonder how many have had a chance to pounce on me and you haven't a clue. There is an old loggin trail here that I call cougar point. I don't seem em, but they are there with tracks in the snow or mud. I know they are there, so I respect the cats and bears but I think the biggest concern with hunting in the bush is your own ability that will beat you up before a dang ole bear or cat. Good luck.

Bobby
Old 05-15-2008, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

Bears don't attack between the hours of 8 am and 3:30 PM So leave and return to camp between those hours and you will be fine.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Last confirmed grizzly bear sighting in CO was 40 years ago.....its dead. Your biggest fears of big game hunting in CO should come from two sources.
Ed Wiseman Toneda OUtftters was mauled by a grizzly in 1980 in COLORADO. That was more then a sighting and it happened 28 years ago. There is evidence they are back in the state real good evidence.

My neighbors dog is more dangerous than all the bears and cats you could find in the state.
That is until the bear or cat decides to take you. I have yet to run into an outfitter in Co that was not packing a handgun during archery ELk and Deer season.
The odds are better a safe will fall from a passing airplane and land on my head.
I don't need an outfitter, I was born just outside of Pagosa Springs...I know the story.
Being attacked by any wild animal whilst I was big game hunting in CO wouldn't even be on my "Top Ten" list of things to worry about.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:56 AM

If your really worried about bears, get some pepper spray and some small bells to attach to your clothing to alert bears to your presence....If you happen across some bear scat, there is an easy way to determine if it is black bear or grizzly. Black bear scat has seeds in it and smells like berries. Griz scat has bells in it and smells like pepper...

If you do decide to pack a pistol, make sure you file off the front sight...that way it won't hurt as much when the griz shoves it up your backside....

In all seriousness though, if CO doesn't allow you to pack a pistol during archery season, then pack some "bear" pepper spray. It will be usefull with any troublesome predator. Just make sure you are upwind when using it or you'll be just seasoning yourself.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

The odds are better a safe will fall from a passing airplane and land on my head.
I don't need an outfitter, I was born just outside of Pagosa Springs...I know the story.
Being attacked by any wild animal whilst I was big game hunting in CO wouldn't even be on my "Top Ten" list of things to worry about

Unfortunately or fortunately I have seen large predators and lots of them (bears) where I hunt in Colorado and especially during Archery/Muzzleloader Season. If you did some research( doubt a know it all like yourself doesn't need ) to Black Bears attack more humans then Grizzlies do and by a large margin.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:00 PM

Take a slow person with you and put bells on his feet.As long as you can out run him you will be fine.After he gets ate the bells will be in bear,so you will have warning when bear is coming.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Being attacked by any wild animal whilst I was big game hunting in CO wouldn't even be on my "Top Ten" list of things to worry about

Unfortunately or fortunately I have seen large predators and lots of them (bears) where I hunt in Colorado and especially during Archery/Muzzleloader Season. If you did some research( doubt a know it all like yourself doesn't need ) to Black Bears attack more humans then Grizzlies do and by a large margin.
where ya see 'em...in books

I am all about research. I do know enough to know that being afraid of bears while hunting in CO is silly compared to the other much higher risk issues.

I did not suggest that "I knew it all" I will suggest I have common sense. And apparently its not common for you.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am all about research. I do know enough to know that being afraid of bears while hunting in CO is silly compared to the other much higher risk issues.

I did not suggest that "I knew it all" I will suggest I have common sense. And apparently its not common for you.

You stated that a grizzly sighting had not happened in 40 years but I corrected you on that one. You know @@&& about any big predators obviously.

that's funny real funny
Old 05-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

You stated that a grizzly sighting had not happened in 40 years but I corrected you on that one. You know @@&& about any big predators obviously.

that's funny real funny
Obviously you are from around here..........

Quick Reply: Grizzly bear? Elk hunt in CO.. Help keep me alive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.