Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

The Alaska Experiment

Old 05-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The Alaska Experiment

ORIGINAL: MNJOE

Then come across a buffalo and low and behold the nimrod with the .22 fires at least one shot at the buffalo.
Are you sure he took a shot? I watched the episode twice, and couldn't tell whether it was the sound of a shot, or boots crunching through icy snow.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

In case any of you want to watch the episodes you can go to discovery.com then click on the TV Shows drop down box and at the bottom it will say watch full episodes. Click on that and you can watch the show.

As for the hunting aspect of the show, I would assume that they have purchased tags and licenses for the participants. They have already killed a mountain goat and one of the daughters has went moose hunting. The preview shows another one will be moose hunting on the next episode. But that guy shouldn't have shot at the buffalo with a .22 or anything for that matter if he didn't have a tag or license.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:25 PM

They picked the biggest PETA types they could and stuck them out there. I LMAO everytime I see the show. They let them shoot a .22 and a .338 Win mag. For someone that has never shot a rifle (few had), I think its funny that they gave them .338 to shoot. For MooseI could see the need but for Mountain Goat? I just watch and wish I could be there to hunt.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

I watched it for the first time tonight. What a bunch of panzy butts. I think it is more of a comedy than a survival episode. The two daughters would have to shut the _____ up and put up as many clothes drying branches as I wanted them to put up around the stove while I was out cutting the branches.

In my gayest PETA voice possible......

"Oh my God, dude you look tired."

"I am, Ialmost threw up, there was a lot of innerds in there."

Old 05-14-2008, 12:06 AM

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

The producer probably thought that the mighty gun was as magical as the idiot holding the gun and that he could kill a T-Rex with his .22 it the chance arose. It amazes me how people think that there is no limit to the power ofa gun. I believe that a person should be tought the limits, dangers, and ballistics of firearms before ever being sent out with one.
Butchers kill cows with .22cal rifles/pistols. A placed shot will take it down.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Butchers do it from an inch away, not from 100+ yards. I suspect that at that distance, it would take a heckuva lot more precision than a non-scoped .22 Cricket in the hands of a novice could possibly attain.

I'm still not entirely convinced that they actually took that shot. I know he pointed the rifle in the direction of the buffalo, but the sounds were more like icy snow crunching than a rifle report.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

Give them a knife and flint and steel, kick them out into the bush, that would be an alaska experiment. I wonder who would survive longer, a City person alone in alaska, or an alaskan trapper alone in downtown New York. I know after about 1/2 hour in any big city I am ready to jump under a bus.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:50 PM

Whether or not the participants are ethical/unethical, the hunts are legal/illegal, or the participants receive/don't receive outside assistance is irrelevant. Discovery Channel is successful with the show because they are getting exactly what they wanted.....folks watching it and then discussing it on the internet, at the office, etc.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:19 AM

I watched the episode and thought it was crap as well. The whole time I was tellin my wife how I wished I was on that show. But as someone said what's the fun if someone can survive in the mountains. And the sighting in thing was pretty stupid. I didn't watch alot but why is it one group has the little bolt action and looked like another had a Marlin model 60 maybe?