HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Broadhead ????? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/244759-broadhead.html)

glob3006 05-02-2008 08:01 PM

Broadhead ?????

Hi All,
I didn't post this in the Bowhunting thread....I'm not looking for Deer stories! I'm an Elk Hunter who sprinkles in some Deer from time to time.
So I purchased a new bow for this year( 101st Airbourne)and it certainly shootsfaster than my old bow.........About280-290fps for hunting season.Anyway I'm looking for a broadhead I can trust at higher speeds. I currently use the Magnus Stinger BuzzCuts and they have served me well. Complete pass throughs on both Deer and Elk.....With very good accuracy.( Old Bow). Still want a COC and am looking @ Phantoms,Montec or even the Stingers etc.....

Be Safe!
Bill

gselkhunter 05-03-2008 06:18 AM

RE: Broadhead ?????

Hope you like your new bow. I been killing elk for 20 years with a Muzzy 130. I am not hitting 280ft/sec, only 260ft/sec. As you know the Muzzy 130 isn't COC, but that hasn't stopped it from blowing holes out the back side of an elk. The four blade construction make mighty fine blood trails. I have not kept up with the new braodheads, have had no reason to. But I will tell you that the Phantom was made right here in CO on the western slope. I have personally seen the broadhead kill elk, bear and sheep, but it wasn't produced by Muzzy back then. It still was a very good broadhead. With that being said, it may not fly well on your new set up. If you are shooting carbons with small fletchings control issues may come into play. You have not given lbs of draw or draw length. The Phantom is a good sized broadhead and the smaller broadheads seem tostabilize better at higher speeds.
For me COC isn't as important as FOC or total arrow weight. I am still shooting XX75s at almost 500grs, add that to 260ft/sec and with proper placement of shot = dead elk.
Good luck with your new bow and have fun.
Gselkhunter

glob3006 05-03-2008 07:14 AM

Hey GS , My local shop (Archery In The Wild) For which I trust whole heartedly. Has me shooting 26" draw,365 grn arrows and I'll be hunting @60 lbs and that puts me in the 280s. An online kinetic energy calculatorshows me at around60flbs of KE.I may increase the arrow weight to get above 400. But 60 lbs is plenty of KE andI'm really liking the faster and much flatter shooting arrow. I just don't feel like spending $30 a crack to test broadheads.

Thanks,
Bill

ELKJNKY 05-03-2008 01:55 PM

i have ben shooting the steeleforce broadhead for the last 10 year they fly awesom and im shooting 320 fps i have had complete pass throughs on all elk ive shot and two bulls evan went through shoulder blade i cant brag enough about this broadhead they are awesom.they also offer free lifetime resharpening.

Elkcrazy8 05-03-2008 09:02 PM

With 60 ft/lbs of KE you will want to go with a COC. I would suggest the montec g-5's or the razorcaps.....

When crunching #'s on my software, it is not a huge difference in point of impact when using a heavier arrow, however the heavier arrow will have more down range stored energy.

GS hit the nail on the head when he talks of FOC. Fortunately with the shorter arrow length you will be able to keep the foc up easier.

If you check out pinwheel software, there is a free download to mess with foc, point of impact, etc...Check it out...

If you are hunting mostly elk, I would seriously consider upping your arrow weight a little and or consider a coc style head.

gselkhunter 05-04-2008 12:23 PM

In the old days I shot 80lbs at 30" draw, but that was done with an overdraw that I still use. That makes my 2314 arrows 26" for a total of489grs with the 130 Muzzy. I am still using 5" vanes with a straight fletch and the little suckers fly like darts. But since the single cams came out I have backed down to 70lbs with the same set up. Didn't change the way the arrows fly or the damage they do to animals. But I am old school and the way bows work today is much different. Give me a razor sharp broadhead and a log.
Elkcrazy8 is up on all the new stuff and is a very knowledgeable shooter. I would listen to his advise, he knows the new game.
Gselkhunter

Elkcrazy8 05-04-2008 08:20 PM

I just got done running some #'s on my program, take it for what its worth, but the program has not steered me wrong yet...

If I had your bow, I would seriously look at the ACC 3-39's with a half out insert with a raw shaft length of 26.5 inches.

I ran it with 3- 4 inch vanetecs ( I use these and fletch them with a 4 degree helicle)

This arrow would weigh in at 412.4 grains and have an foc of 12.5% and shows the arrow falling dead center green on my spine chart ( which is optimum).

If you would go to a coc head such as a razorcap or g-5 with this combo, you should be in fat city.

Not only would you be using a coc head, you would also have a shaft diameter smaller than your head ferrule...

With the higher foc and the helicle on your vanes, you should end up with one of the most forgiving, deepest penetrating arrows for your setup..... Hope this helps...

BY THE WAY>>> I AM GOING TO BE A GRANDPA!!!!!!! I had to get that in!!!!

hillbillyhunter1 05-04-2008 08:47 PM

I AM GOING TO BE A GRANDPA!!!!!!!
Holy Cow, I'd never thought that. Congratulations. What kind of rocking chair do ya want:D??

Elkcrazy8 05-04-2008 08:56 PM

I already have a new rocker!!! I also found some Mossy Oak infant clothes.......

skeeter 7MM 05-04-2008 09:24 PM

Another steelforce BH user I have taken whitetail tobull moose with steelforce premium heads. Great flight out of my martin bows and always had pass thrus including through the opposite shoulder of a black bear. Mine have all been scary sharp out of the package, never had to touch one up for hunting unlike muzzy's (though they (fixed)are a darn good head that served me well in the past).