Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

7mm & Big Game

Old 04-29-2008, 07:15 PM

Default RE: 7mm & Big Game

ORIGINAL: beech18

7 is a great round. I always used a 7MM Mag, then when the Ultra came out up graded. Does a great job, flat shooting. I personally use the 140 triple shock Barnes, hand loads. Killed many elk with this round in the last few years.
Do you use the 140 TSX with your RUM, or Rem Mag?
Old 04-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

The triple shocks Ive just used in the Ultra. The 7MM Mag, I always used Nosler Partitions as I had a sweet load worked up in the partitions long before the triple shock bullets came out. In the Ultra, the triple shock, its a great bullet. However, it works for deer sized game but its actually too good of a bullet for lighter game. Doesnt open up much as the exit holes are usually small. On elk though, the Ultra, depending on exact angle of the shot, will usually not exist unless its close range. Ive found alot of bullets in the hide of the exist side would be on the elk. Only a suggestion with what I do. Ive found a load that shots the triple shock and the Hornady SST exactly in the same spot. For bigger game I use the barnes and deer sized I use the SST's as they work awesome on smaller game.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:32 PM
car
Typical Buck

I bought my 7mm 28 years ago when it was the cal to have. It was the best cal to own. Now there has been alot of new cartridge introduced since then. 300win mag 338 and so on. The 7mm is no longer top dog. But it will still do the job on any North Amercian Big Game!
Old 05-01-2008, 01:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Actually the 7mm rem mag is still the top dog when it comes to popularity for magnums in NA according to sales. IMHO one reason why the other "7 mags" haven't fairedas well...this includes the WSM, RUM of today. They are also good but the rem mag works very well with 140 to 175gr bullets for NA big game animals (other then big bears). The only real need for the bigger 7 carts is LR and a flatter trajectory, however for most it unharnessed potential thus the rem mag is pretty appealing. Split hairs all you wantbut IME the 300wm does nothing the 7 RM can't. Personally wouldn't want a 300wm for big bears but I guess i'd rather have a 220 gr in a 300wm then 175gr in a .284 if those where my only choices when hunting griz country.

In terms of the TSX, I have plowed the 140gr through both shoulders of bull moose and single shoulders of elk.A++++++++ forthis application but I also am not a real fan of itfor deer sized. I keep going back to loading 150gr NBT's, these are scary accurate, produce top velocity/low fouling, excellent wound channelsand never needed a second on countless canadian whitetail/mulies harvest. The longest being a double shoulder DRT 478yard shot but have taken them throughthe shoulders at less then 100 as well(wound channel is a tad bit larger then one would see out a little farther though).

I have not used the XP3 can't comment.

I have used Nosler accubond's and put a 160 thru& thru both a bull moose and bull elk, they worked well for deer for me. I have witnessed the 154gr IBdoing well on deer through moose as well in the rem mag. 2 newer bond polymers that i'duse for lope to moose in a 7mm rem mag.

However ifI were looking for 1 load for all the first i'd try would be the Nosler Part. It just works. If it failed to produce the accuracyI wantedI'd move to the others. Only reasoni don't use it in my current rem mag today, previously I did and0 complaints.

If willing to shoot more then one load Barnes TSX for elk/moose/bears and something less robust for antelope and deer. It takes me a matter of some fine tuning & a couple groups to switch over between these loads. A minor hassle to some butI look at it as anotherexcuse to go to shoot...all good

Good luck
Old 05-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

I have a 26" bbl Mod 70 with Nikon 3-9x40BDC.I use Hornady Heavy Mag 139gr SST ammo. Cheap it aint, but it shoots like a laser and kills like lighting. Makes the 7Remmy almost as flat shooting as 7STW.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:45 AM

The Remington corelokts were ahead of the competition by a number of years and have truly been a #1 inexpensive load for game. Designed to stay together after penetration to impart high energy and long wound channels. Many bullet manufacturers have followed suit andall work very well. BE AWARE that the high velocities at close range with the 7mm mag has (we have experience here) splattered inferior non-bonded loads when encountering bone even on whitetail. Stick with a lokt, bonded, solid or fused bullet. They don't have to be expensive ones. Moose, rem corelokt, 450 yds, one shot, no kidding.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Yup, the 7 is more than enough for any NA critter save maybe a pissed browny.

Brett
Old 05-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

cannot go wrong with a 7 mag...it is a great caliber, but the gun is only as good as the trigger squeezer...
Old 05-23-2008, 10:53 PM

i shoot federal factory 165 sierra game kings out of my 7mm and have had great results.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

No. The 7mm Mag is too small for anything.