Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Why do I need to send the full $price of the $ tag? >

Why do I need to send the full $price of the $ tag?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Why do I need to send the full $price of the $ tag?

Old 04-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Why do I need to send the full $price of the $ tag?

Montana deadline is fast approaching and I wonder, why do I need to send them the full $750 per specie up front when my odds of drawing any of the tags are slim to none, and then Ill be out $2200 for a few months?

Can't all states just bill my CC when I draw.....I guess if you have the cash on hand its nice to know some guys arent applying giving you better odds, but c'mon. Rather than applying for 3, I may just apply for 1.

Also why not just points only for those years when some guys dont have the cash on hand for even 1 specie......I guess there are pros n cons to both, just seems like it leaves some guys out.....I dont mind an application fee, or even buying a non res license, but remitting the entire tag costs....really can limit a guy, esp some of those sheep out west are like $2300 or something or more!

Old 04-28-2008, 05:50 PM

Default RE: Why do I need to send the full $price of the $ tag?

You shoud first go to http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/planahunt/default.aspx. This is the #1 site to start with and will give you more accurate prices for tags. Unfortunatly you are to late for the combo tags as most draws are march 15th deadline if you are non-res. Up front fees do discourage people who might draw their tags and then don't pay for them. it is the only way to ensure the drawings include the serious hunter. Imagine if even 20% didnt buy the tag after the draw, that would leave about 3000 hunters who could have gone but didnt havethe chance because someone didnt pay.Besides its all about game management.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

I too like when you can give a CC and pay after you would draw, but some states dont do it that way. Its about game management and its also a buisness. Getting the full money for awhile doing the way Montana does, Im not expect, but Im sure while they "hold" onto your money when you didnt draw the tag. They have that money invested somehow to make the state some interest on your money. Each state has there own way in doing things. If someone doesnt like the system of a certain state and elects not to apply for that reason, one less person against me in the draws. Its taken me many years to build up, what I like to callmy hunting fund. I started long time ago just applying in acouple states and since hunting is my number 1 pass time. Each year Im able to build it up moreto where I can apply for more draws each year. All reality, Montana has a resonable price sheep tag considering other states.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

The reason is to limit the number of applicants in the drawing. Montana all ready is over-suscribed with hunters. IF Montana would allow you to use your credit card in the draw, the application numbers would skyrocket. This would decress your odds in the drawing.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Golden Rule. They have the gold, they make the rules. Past experiences with people have probably shown them that possession of a CC hardly makes it valid or limitless. Besides if you made the rules and it was your game......you'd want the money up front.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

That is a reason for places like cabelas tags and huntin fool,they foot those fees and you payenough to cover the interest but you aren't out the total amount unless you draw
Old 04-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hear you about cabelas tags etc......just the though of spending an extra $50-200 to apply for a tag gets me, I guess youre paying for a service/ affordability, but still the though of spending more than what I'd have to if i could front the bill, guess thats how alot of things go in life though, maybe I'll think about that for some other tags etc....to get in the game.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

Places like Cabela's and the Carters Huntin Fool is too why the draw odds are getting worse. Off that subject, example Huntin Fool. Your paying him to do the service for applying for you. If you apply directly to the state you get all your money back unless you draw(except the appilcation fees and weather what state it is if you buy the bonus points or hunting lic, etc). Huntin Fool, you pay them for the service to apply for youand dont get your money back you paid him to apply for youeven if you draw or dont draw. It takes me only acouple minutes to fill out my application, I dont see why Iwouldpay someone to do that?
Old 04-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

Cabela's usually works well for those who don't mind paying the extra cash, but they managed to not get their app's into Arizona GF this year by the dead line and over 500 app's didn't get into the system. They petitionedthe AZGFD for an exception but they got turned down.

Besides it discourages out of state hunter from coming to hunt...

Old 04-29-2008, 09:17 PM

After spending what seems a 1000 hours planning a western hunt, I found there was no state that 100%non-res hunters who applied drew tags. Which means notmany "out of state Hunters" are discouraged except those who can't afford it. The revenue from "out of state hunters" is huge and actually quite benificial to the herds since all conservation dollars come from our sport. Those dollars havehad a serious impact on the rebound of animal population. Non-resident Montana elk tag$593, combo elk deer $643, outfitter $1400/$1500. 1150 non res tags = average $10,300,000 and thats just elk and deer.This does not includelodging, residenteconomic incomeand hunting related taxes. Where would conservation be with out them?

Quick Reply: Why do I need to send the full $price of the $ tag?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.