Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Hey Antelope Hunters!! Question . . . >

Hey Antelope Hunters!! Question . . .

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Hey Antelope Hunters!! Question . . .

Old 04-24-2008, 09:49 AM

Default Hey Antelope Hunters!! Question . . .

Have any of you ever tried waving a flag at lopes to "bring 'em in"?
I've heard of this for years and always wondered
A: if it works, and
B: how it works?
Old 04-24-2008, 11:03 AM

Default RE: Hey Antelope Hunters!! Question . . .

It definitely works. Try putting a white hat or tee shirt on a stick and waving it around. Herds will up and come right to you. Don't know why it works, but antelope do have a lot of white on them and seem curious. What a great warmup to the general hunting season. Lots of animals to choose from if you're in antelope country. They're mighty tastytoo! Can't wait. Hope I draw a buck tag this year.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:03 PM

I've heard the same thing, but I've never tried it. I heard they come to look at the white material simply because they're curious.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:53 PM

You guys that live with them ,give it a try in the off season and let us know how it worked.I didn't find them tasty ,so I had them made in to sausage.The wife liked it andate both of the ones I got.

[/align]
Old 04-24-2008, 01:13 PM

Antelope is the only big game animal I have not taken with a bow. (YET!)
I will try this. I double checked with a Game Warden this a.m. and it is definately legal.

Too bad you made it into sausage. Some of our favorite steaks! FYI . . . in the field, get it skinned out, washed off, and cooled down A.S.APOSSIBLE. With lopes, it makes all the difference. I also have been in the habit the past few years of aging the meat after boning and before wrapping in an old refirgerator for 10 - 14 days. Absolutely no comparisson to the old method of "drop it and freeze it". Dramatic and noticable improvement on taste, texture, everything!
Old 04-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

Antelope are very curious and the method your speaking of does work. Doesnt always have to be white either for it to work. Times Ill just use my hat to draw there attention in closer.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've used a white rag.....shooken in the wind, they are curious.....

I also think it may work better if the sun is behind you, and you are inbetween the sun and the antelope, just like us looking into the sun, kinda liek what is that? if theyre inbetween you and the sun, I think they can spot you miles away.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

It's not legal in all states,I know it's not in WY.We have killed a quite a few the last couple years by setting up at ponds or tanks in popup blinds
Old 04-24-2008, 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: habitat

It's not legal in all states,I know it's not in WY.We have killed a quite a few the last couple years by setting up at ponds or tanks in popup blinds
It IS legal in Wyoming. I talked to a game warden here in Cheyenne this morning just to double check. It is not considered baiting (which IS illegal) because there is no food, just the natural curiosity of the lope.
Call 'em 777-4600
Old 04-24-2008, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

It for sure works... Used it several times. If you can get on a herd before lots of shooting starts they will stop and look....

Goatslayer........

Quick Reply: Hey Antelope Hunters!! Question . . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.