Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wall Tents

Old 04-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wall Tents

thanks guys, i really appreciate your help. alot of what has been mentioned i have already figured on so atleast i feel good that im on the right track.

i think i have decided on the 12x14 with the sunforger water and mildew treament with theinternal frame. i will be getting a large tarp for a rainfly and awning out the front.

i am still deciding between a second door in the back or a window. i think im leaning toward the second door for extra access and i can but my tent end to end with another. the extra access is a big plus, but the cross ventilation for the stove is the most important i think.

anyway thanks again for the input. if you have anymore advice, keep it coming. im looking to learn as much as i can before i get my tent as im surei will after.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Typical Buck

i think i have decided on the 12x14 with the sunforger water and mildew treament with theinternal frame. i will be getting a large tarp for a rainfly and awning out the front.
I would make one more recommendation. Layout the # of cots on a piece of graph paper to verify what works. My 12 x 16 is actually 11 ft 6 inchesx 15 ft 3 inches after shrinkage. Now subtract from that 6 inch clearance to each of the walls to ensure your cots stay dry and to account for the wind pushing the walls. So now you 14 feet length is reduced to 12 ft 3 inches long. Measure your cots and make sure you can get 2 in long ways for one side. It only works if the cots are 72" or less.

If you are using the tent for 3 people it will work with one on the other side and you could go with 2 doors. Remember the stove is over there so that means 2 cots on one side and one cot and the stove on the other. The cot on the stove side is the place to be!
Old 04-25-2008, 04:30 PM

Case, I'm glad you started this thread, because I'm leaning alot from it too. Like, my 10x14 tent ain't gonna cut the mustard for 4 fellas for a week.[&:]

Old 04-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

I found the minimum tent size for 4 hunters and a stove to be 12 x16. It allowed 2 cots lengthwise on the left as you walk in the door. One cot across the back and the 4th cot lengthwise on the right but just in front of the cot in the back. The 4th cothadabout 40 inches ofclearance from the stove which was locatedon the front right. This left the center of the tent open also. This layout does not work however with 2 doors.

I put the last post up because I could not come up with a layout in a 12 x 14 for 4 people and a stove that worked out.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:14 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Davis Tent & Awning's standard rental tent is a 14' by 16' and they rent a bunch of them.

Unless you are going for a spike camp set up where weight and volume of all your ancillary stuff will be automatically pruned by the long trip in, by all means go for something that is big enough (or even a little to big if you are not sure. 14 x 17 is a good number when it comes to working cots around the perimeter. 14x16 in a squeeze. The graph paper idea is a very valid one. Generally cots around the outer walls and "stuff" in the center is the winning formula.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Fork Horn

again guys, thanks for your help. i have been toying with the layout myself and i think the 12x14 will be ok since the majority of the trips will only have 2 guys in my tent anyway. the only trips with 3 or 4 guys would be in the summer when a stove isnt necessary.

my original plan was to go with atleast a 14x16 but i decided against that for a few reasons. first like i said most of the trips will only have 2 guys all that room would be nice but basically unused. second the area i like to hunt a large tent would seriously limit the areas i could set up camp, atleast without a lot of clearing small trees, rocks, and sage brush. and third and probably least significant, but i would need a bigger stove to heat a tent that much bigger and it would take that much more wood to keep warm.

guys i really do appreciate the time and thought you have put into your posts you guys have helpedmore than you know. if there is anything else we havent covered yet lets keep it coming
Old 04-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

Only tip I got www.davistent.com

Old 05-03-2008, 10:00 PM

Anyone use a surplus army tent? Like the GP Small hexagon tent, seems like a decent tent at a good price.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:23 PM

All have had good advive. My two cents, add a hose clamp to the stove pipe and use stainless wire to attach the pipe to the stove. Mine came out in a 45 mph storm and the tent filled with smoke. Hence the two doors. The rear door is a good place to store your wood as well. Mine is a Davis 12 * 16 with a 8 foot porch.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:50 PM

We've been using a cabela's Anarak 12x12 for our sleep tent. Room for 4 on cots with a wood stove. We have a seperate 10x20 cook tent for eating and cooking which is just a cheap white RV storage type tent. The Anarak now comes with zip in sleeping pods to keep the cots out of the central area of the tent. All in all it is a good option that won't weigh as much as a canvas wall tent. worth a look.

Quick Reply: Wall Tents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.