Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Montana Wilderness Elk Hunting >

Montana Wilderness Elk Hunting

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana Wilderness Elk Hunting

Old 04-17-2008, 06:20 PM

Default Montana Wilderness Elk Hunting

My group of 5 just drew NR GeneralELK/DEER combotags. We have goodhorses and gear to pack in for as long as necessary. We have all killed bulls in the past. I have never hunted Montana. What Unit would you all recommend we apply for with rifles or bows. I have killed some smaller bulls but would really like one for the wall. Thanks
Old 04-17-2008, 06:28 PM

Default RE: Montana Wilderness Elk Hunting

I forgot to add that we want to hunt roadless areas to get away from the pressure and 4 wheelers
Old 04-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Fork Horn

spend some time on google earth...and find a spot that looks good...you will get into elk...if you want...unless you are hunting very limited entry areas, you will not ahve to apply for a unit...unless I missed something...
Old 04-17-2008, 11:22 PM
BKC

My group of 3 just got our combo elk and deer we are huntingnorth eastlots of deer Mule and White tail going up 11/9-11/23 private land surrounded by blm and friends property I too do not want to wasteMontana combo tag I have been reading ever thing I can get my hands on aboutMontana because its our first time in that great statewe will be there right in the middle of the rut for both deer but the elk rut is way over and my buddy up there says there is not much bugling at all so a lot of walking so be in shape he says. We are towing a jeep up don't know how much use it will get at least we can get to the top leave the jeep walk down and have a truck to get back to the jeep
Old 04-18-2008, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BKC

My group of 3 just got our combo elk and deer we are huntingnorth eastlots of deer Mule and White tail going up 11/9-11/23 private land surrounded by blm and friends property I too do not want to wasteMontana combo tag I have been reading ever thing I can get my hands on aboutMontana because its our first time in that great statewe will be there right in the middle of the rut for both deer but the elk rut is way over and my buddy up there says there is not much bugling at all so a lot of walking so be in shape he says. We are towing a jeep up don't know how much use it will get at least we can get to the top leave the jeep walk down and have a truck to get back to the jeep
you will want chains on ALL 4 tires on both vehicles...
Old 04-18-2008, 01:31 PM
BKC

I have chains for the jeep 4 wheels the truck just two depending on mother nature might not them. My buddy has two snow cats dont know what they are and two snow mobils
Old 04-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

Well if it is anything like last year, you won't need snowcats or snowmobiles. We were hot and dry until January. There should be LOTS of deer around this fall as there was little to no winter kill and all the deer I have seen are in great shape. Good luck.

Nemont
Old 04-18-2008, 05:00 PM
BKC

Nemont,
Where are you from in from in Montana?
Old 04-18-2008, 05:12 PM
BKC

Nemont
I meant to say before my brain fart where in Montana are you from?
Old 04-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BKC
We are towing a jeep up don't know how much use it will get at least we can get to the top leave the jeep walk down and have a truck to get back to the jeep

Why bother? Anywhere in MT that you can legally drive a jeep you can almost always get a 4-wheel drive truck to. That and driving a jeep through an area you plan to hunt will just blow the elk out. I honestly think the jeep will do you more harm than good. It's hard enough to sneak up on a cagey wapiti on foot. Do yourself a favor and hump up the mountains on foot well before daylight, spot from the tops, and then hunt your way down.

AK Jeff

Quick Reply: Montana Wilderness Elk Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.