HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Elk Hunting Boots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/241709-elk-hunting-boots.html)

dirtythirtym30 04-10-2008 08:55 AM

Elk Hunting Boots

Any recomendations on what to use for Nov Elk hunt in the mountains of Montana. I am looking a Kenetrek pac boots. I would prefer a different sole like the Air Bob Does LaCrosse make something still

beech18 04-10-2008 09:28 AM

RE: Elk Hunting Boots

Depends on the style of your hunting and what the weather will be, or if you'll be on horses or not?. 95% of the time I use my danners and use gators if theres deep snow. Unless its wicked cold out, then pull the pac boats out. Whatever boot you pick, elk hunting you need to be ready to cover alot of country and have a boot you can walk in.

AK Jeff 04-10-2008 10:10 AM

dirtythirtym30,

I'd highly recommend the Kenetrek 13" Grizzly for your elk hunt. I honestly prefer their K-Talon sole over the airbob styles. You're not as likely to break off the bobs in scree and rough rocks and I think the traction is just as good. I gave up on the bob style boots when Kenetrek started making their boots.

http://www.kenetrek.com/

Jeff

wyotimberghost 04-10-2008 04:22 PM

You might look at a pair of Schnees.

salukipv1 04-10-2008 04:55 PM

I was gonna say, pac boots? less you're standing still for hours I'd just get a reg hunting boot, maybe 800gr insulation, maybe 800-1200, if you plan on deep snow ya maybe a higher boot, certainly waterproof/gore tex

I think a heavy pac boot mgith be just too much weight/warmth, esp if you're moving around.

wyotimberghost 04-10-2008 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I think a heavy pac boot mgith be just too much weight/warmth, esp if you're moving around.

This is a good point. I wear uninsulated boots and a pair of wool socks when I'm elk hunting in the late season. I don't hardly ever stop moving so my feet never get cold. I save the pac boots for waterfowl and coyote hunting. Most people would probably be more comfortable with at least a little insulation in their boots, though, like 400-800g since most people don't want to work hard enough to keep their feet warm in uninsulated boots all day.

If the snow is going to be deep, just buy a pair of gaiters to keep it out of the top of your shoes.

AK Jeff 04-10-2008 09:25 PM

I think you guys would be pleasantly surprised if you tried some of the aforementioned pac boot styles. Pac boots suffer from a general stigma because people think of the old Sorel type boots that look and feel comparable to a cinder block. The newer designs with Thinsulate/wool felt insulation are exponentially better boots. I started wearing Schnee's years ago and now I wear Kenetrek and I have no desire to go back to the Danner type boots. All leather boots are great if you're hunting warm weather or really rugged, and rocky terrain such as sheep hunting, but for later season, general use you can't beat the pacs.

AK Jeff

oldelkhunter 04-11-2008 08:04 AM

Lacrosse does not make anything that would work for Elk hunting. I used to use Danners quite a bit next pair of boots will be Meindls . I do not like Pac boots one iota but then again I haven't tried Kennetrek boots.

beech18 04-11-2008 08:06 AM

I do agree with you, the schnee's are a great pac boat. Ive got a pair. They are not your old traditional "bulky"pac boot, the Schnees can be used when riding horses and have decent tread for walking. I personally rather use my Danners with gators if deep snow unless its super cold then use the pac boots (-20 or more which late nov in the mountains of Montana it can be), but thats my opinion as I know guys who rather wear the Schnee's than the leather boot.

MTdrahthaar 04-11-2008 08:12 AM

I just bought a pair of Meindl Alaska Hunters. Absolutely love them, so far. I will use these right up until the snow is over my boots or if its totally soaking out. In that case, I turn to my Cabela's duratrax, Lacross Alpha burlys are similar and I know many like them better. 1200 grams of thinsulate, all rubber. Sounds crazy, I know, but I have hiked some serious miles in these new type of rubber boots. I hate wet feet.

MTMountainMan 04-11-2008 09:07 AM

Just my two cents. If you're not going to be hunting during very cold weather you should consider noise associated with your footwear. The elk writers in my area swear, and I agree, staying quiet is everything if you're trying to bump into elk. If you are only watching meadows or stationary for some other reason big boots will be fine, but for bowhunting and the first 2/3 of the season here in Montana I'd recommend a good pair of trail shoes. I've even heard of people wearing those canvas painter shoes. Hard on your feet maybe, but being able to tiptoe around sticks and especially avoiding having your heavy boots come scraping down on rocksis very important. I tried all different kinds of boots, but now if I'm not hunting out of a full backcountry pack I will wear light shoes to stay quiet. If I have a 60 lb pack I need the extra ankle support and will wear my boots (pac or Rockys depending on the temp).

Gangly 04-11-2008 10:53 AM

Redwing logger boots...

The leather is high quality and thick, you can get various levels of insulation, and the boots are warrantied. They were stiff as sh!t when i first bough them, but after about 2 weeks, they were the most soft, supple, and supportive boots I ever put a foot into. I cant seem to kill mine no matter what i do to them, and they have sene a lot ofnasty stuff.

bugs11 04-11-2008 11:50 AM

I took 3 pairs of boots on my last elk hunt; light weight Columbia hiking boots, mid-weight Columbia Bugaboo boots, and a pair of Cabela's high top elk hunter boots. Depending on the weather and where/how I was hunting determined my footwear. With all the walking, hiking, and climbing I did, having a different pair of boots each day helped my feet a lot. Light weight hiking bootsare the most comforatble, but they're also the least waterproof and least warm. The last day of the hunt I hiked 3-4 miles into the wildernesswhen it was warm and sunny, hiking out that evening I was in a full blown heavy duty snow storm. The light weight, low tophiking boots didn't keep my feet dry, but since I was constantly movingmy feetstayed reasonably warm.

Also, do your feet a favor, get a pair of Merino wool socks.

gelarson 04-11-2008 12:58 PM

I swear by my Danner fort lewis boots for hunting in the mountains of Alberta. they are tall and durable and as I am very cold tolerant 200 grms of thinsulite is all I need. My buddy when guiding in the Mountains of the Yukon swore by the Cabela's Canadian boot. For hunting in the low lands I often will only wear a light rubber bottom w/ leather top boot that is less the 6 inchs tall. These are great for fealing the twigs and such as you walk.

Either you have to be really stealthy or you have to sound like an animal when you walk. Vary your pace and consider using a walking stick. Make some cow calls quite often and make sure you use a scent illiminator and have the wind in your favour. And don't smoke when out hunting. I see guys killing themselves with the scent problem only to light up a smoke.

Eric

dirtythirtym30 04-13-2008 06:57 AM

Great feedback. I have been to Montana 3 times archery hunting and have had my boots burn me every time. The great word " Gortex" has keep my feet wet most of the time. The last two were Danner 600 gram. Last year we had snow 8 0f 11 days, Up to 14 inches. I always wear Gators but it was misserable. My outfitter swears by the LaCrosse Mountaineer?? But they do not make them? The Kenetek is the same principle so I am leaning that way. Next trip should involve a lot of glassing time and colder weather.

M30

Elkcrazy8 04-13-2008 01:29 PM

Kenetrek, Danners, or Asolo

gselkhunter 04-14-2008 11:15 AM

One word in boots, Meindl
Gselkhunter

dirtythirtym30 04-18-2008 09:05 AM

Having trouble finding info on the gselkhunter

pirogue 04-23-2008 07:39 PM

If you decide on Kennetrek, send me an email.

Champlain Islander 04-24-2008 05:11 AM

The most important thing for me is tread design and support. I wear LaCrosse rubber boots for deer hunting here in Vermont. Out west it is Danner. My ankles would be shot after a day hiking with the LaCrosse in the steep rocky canyons

gselkhunter 04-24-2008 09:22 AM

Meindl boots can be gotten at Cabelas. There were two real good styles, but the Canada's is the only one left at Cabelas. It is a really good boot.
Meindl boots:
http://www.meindl.de/english/
Gselkhunter

dirtythirtym30 04-30-2008 05:30 AM

piroque, The kenetrek looks like my choice, I tried the e-mail but ??

m30

ShatoDavis 04-30-2008 09:53 AM

These are my favorite boots:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0005212811471a&navCount=5&podI d=0005212811471&parentId=cat601928&masterp athid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat2056 4-cat601928&catalogCode=UH&rid=&parentTy pe=index&indexId=cat601928

I've used these in the Mountains of BC chasing elk to the hills of Missouri after Turkeys. These boots never let me down. I really like the fact that I can cinch them down and my ankles can't roll if I try to make them.

Be warned though they come very stiff and take a lot of breaking in. Best, thing to do is put them on with some heavy sock and stand in your tubwith wateralmost to the top, then wear them dry. It reallymakes the leather conform to your foot. Then lather on the neatsfoot oil!

PS: they are also available in unisulated. My feet run cold so I prefer insulated boots almost exclusively.

Hung Up 05-03-2008 03:31 PM

I have a pair of Pac boots and wouldn't think of wearing them to hunt elk unless your just sitting and waiting for the elk but if you are chaseing elk up and down the mountains you really need a good hunting boot.....Meindl or Lowa. Tried and true 100% Have them worn in good.Boots can make or break an elk hunt !!!!!

_Dan 05-03-2008 07:02 PM

Here's another vote for Meindls. Just got my first pair and absolutley love them. I wouldn't buy another pair of Danners....ever. Comfortable boot, but leak something terrible.

I haven't tried the Kenetreks, but they look like agreat boot as well....built a lot like the Meindls.

tsoc 05-04-2008 06:22 AM

Dan,which Meindl's did you purchase? I have Meindl Ibex's and they are stiff as heck and not comfortable,I hardly ever wear them.

gselkhunter 05-04-2008 12:31 PM

In 20years of hard hunting I am on my second pair of Canadas. Pulled the new onesout of the box and went on a 20mile scouting trip. No blisters or hot spots and a lot of the trip was up around 13,000' ridges in CO. And the only time I have had mine leak is when the seams come out of the first pair after 15 years or I went in too deep.
Gselkhunter