Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting Boots

Old 04-11-2008, 09:07 AM

Default RE: Elk Hunting Boots

Just my two cents. If you're not going to be hunting during very cold weather you should consider noise associated with your footwear. The elk writers in my area swear, and I agree, staying quiet is everything if you're trying to bump into elk. If you are only watching meadows or stationary for some other reason big boots will be fine, but for bowhunting and the first 2/3 of the season here in Montana I'd recommend a good pair of trail shoes. I've even heard of people wearing those canvas painter shoes. Hard on your feet maybe, but being able to tiptoe around sticks and especially avoiding having your heavy boots come scraping down on rocksis very important. I tried all different kinds of boots, but now if I'm not hunting out of a full backcountry pack I will wear light shoes to stay quiet. If I have a 60 lb pack I need the extra ankle support and will wear my boots (pac or Rockys depending on the temp).
Old 04-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Redwing logger boots...

The leather is high quality and thick, you can get various levels of insulation, and the boots are warrantied. They were stiff as sh!t when i first bough them, but after about 2 weeks, they were the most soft, supple, and supportive boots I ever put a foot into. I cant seem to kill mine no matter what i do to them, and they have sene a lot ofnasty stuff.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:50 AM

I took 3 pairs of boots on my last elk hunt; light weight Columbia hiking boots, mid-weight Columbia Bugaboo boots, and a pair of Cabela's high top elk hunter boots. Depending on the weather and where/how I was hunting determined my footwear. With all the walking, hiking, and climbing I did, having a different pair of boots each day helped my feet a lot. Light weight hiking bootsare the most comforatble, but they're also the least waterproof and least warm. The last day of the hunt I hiked 3-4 miles into the wildernesswhen it was warm and sunny, hiking out that evening I was in a full blown heavy duty snow storm. The light weight, low tophiking boots didn't keep my feet dry, but since I was constantly movingmy feetstayed reasonably warm.

Also, do your feet a favor, get a pair of Merino wool socks.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

I swear by my Danner fort lewis boots for hunting in the mountains of Alberta. they are tall and durable and as I am very cold tolerant 200 grms of thinsulite is all I need. My buddy when guiding in the Mountains of the Yukon swore by the Cabela's Canadian boot. For hunting in the low lands I often will only wear a light rubber bottom w/ leather top boot that is less the 6 inchs tall. These are great for fealing the twigs and such as you walk.

Either you have to be really stealthy or you have to sound like an animal when you walk. Vary your pace and consider using a walking stick. Make some cow calls quite often and make sure you use a scent illiminator and have the wind in your favour. And don't smoke when out hunting. I see guys killing themselves with the scent problem only to light up a smoke.

Eric
Old 04-13-2008, 06:57 AM

Great feedback. I have been to Montana 3 times archery hunting and have had my boots burn me every time. The great word " Gortex" has keep my feet wet most of the time. The last two were Danner 600 gram. Last year we had snow 8 0f 11 days, Up to 14 inches. I always wear Gators but it was misserable. My outfitter swears by the LaCrosse Mountaineer?? But they do not make them? The Kenetek is the same principle so I am leaning that way. Next trip should involve a lot of glassing time and colder weather.

M30
Old 04-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kenetrek, Danners, or Asolo
Old 04-14-2008, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

One word in boots, Meindl
Gselkhunter
Old 04-18-2008, 09:05 AM

Having trouble finding info on the gselkhunter
Old 04-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Spike

If you decide on Kennetrek, send me an email.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:11 AM
Dominant Buck

The most important thing for me is tread design and support. I wear LaCrosse rubber boots for deer hunting here in Vermont. Out west it is Danner. My ankles would be shot after a day hiking with the LaCrosse in the steep rocky canyons

Quick Reply: Elk Hunting Boots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.