Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Elk Hunting Boots

Old 04-10-2008, 08:55 AM

Default Elk Hunting Boots

Any recomendations on what to use for Nov Elk hunt in the mountains of Montana. I am looking a Kenetrek pac boots. I would prefer a different sole like the Air Bob Does LaCrosse make something still
Old 04-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Elk Hunting Boots

Depends on the style of your hunting and what the weather will be, or if you'll be on horses or not?. 95% of the time I use my danners and use gators if theres deep snow. Unless its wicked cold out, then pull the pac boats out. Whatever boot you pick, elk hunting you need to be ready to cover alot of country and have a boot you can walk in.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

dirtythirtym30,

I'd highly recommend the Kenetrek 13" Grizzly for your elk hunt. I honestly prefer their K-Talon sole over the airbob styles. You're not as likely to break off the bobs in scree and rough rocks and I think the traction is just as good. I gave up on the bob style boots when Kenetrek started making their boots.

http://www.kenetrek.com/

Jeff
Old 04-10-2008, 04:22 PM

You might look at a pair of Schnees.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was gonna say, pac boots? less you're standing still for hours I'd just get a reg hunting boot, maybe 800gr insulation, maybe 800-1200, if you plan on deep snow ya maybe a higher boot, certainly waterproof/gore tex

I think a heavy pac boot mgith be just too much weight/warmth, esp if you're moving around.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I think a heavy pac boot mgith be just too much weight/warmth, esp if you're moving around.
This is a good point. I wear uninsulated boots and a pair of wool socks when I'm elk hunting in the late season. I don't hardly ever stop moving so my feet never get cold. I save the pac boots for waterfowl and coyote hunting. Most people would probably be more comfortable with at least a little insulation in their boots, though, like 400-800g since most people don't want to work hard enough to keep their feet warm in uninsulated boots all day.

If the snow is going to be deep, just buy a pair of gaiters to keep it out of the top of your shoes.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

I think you guys would be pleasantly surprised if you tried some of the aforementioned pac boot styles. Pac boots suffer from a general stigma because people think of the old Sorel type boots that look and feel comparable to a cinder block. The newer designs with Thinsulate/wool felt insulation are exponentially better boots. I started wearing Schnee's years ago and now I wear Kenetrek and I have no desire to go back to the Danner type boots. All leather boots are great if you're hunting warm weather or really rugged, and rocky terrain such as sheep hunting, but for later season, general use you can't beat the pacs.

AK Jeff
Old 04-11-2008, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lacrosse does not make anything that would work for Elk hunting. I used to use Danners quite a bit next pair of boots will be Meindls . I do not like Pac boots one iota but then again I haven't tried Kennetrek boots.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

I do agree with you, the schnee's are a great pac boat. Ive got a pair. They are not your old traditional "bulky"pac boot, the Schnees can be used when riding horses and have decent tread for walking. I personally rather use my Danners with gators if deep snow unless its super cold then use the pac boots (-20 or more which late nov in the mountains of Montana it can be), but thats my opinion as I know guys who rather wear the Schnee's than the leather boot.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

I just bought a pair of Meindl Alaska Hunters. Absolutely love them, so far. I will use these right up until the snow is over my boots or if its totally soaking out. In that case, I turn to my Cabela's duratrax, Lacross Alpha burlys are similar and I know many like them better. 1200 grams of thinsulate, all rubber. Sounds crazy, I know, but I have hiked some serious miles in these new type of rubber boots. I hate wet feet.

Quick Reply: Elk Hunting Boots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.